GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 00:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Dec 2008, 14:55
atlmba2009 wrote:

Are you kidding? All I've heard is that attractive women are not Duke's strong suit in ANY discipline, especially not the law school. I have a female friend who graduated from Fuqua, and she does nothing to disprove this point.

ROFL

I definitely agree - if you want to find a great one, you are going to have to start to work your charm at admit wknd. After first week of classes, majority of the foxes will be taken. BTW, great motivation to hit the gym pre admit wknd.

Originally posted by foodstamp on 04 Dec 2008, 14:54.
Last edited by foodstamp on 04 Dec 2008, 14:55, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 15:20
Rule 1: This chart always, always applies:

http://cuzoogle.files.wordpress.com/200 ... scale1.gif

Rule 2: Rule 1 applies double if you're wanting to dip into the UG pool. Take this from a 27 y/o who has 2 20-something sisters with many friends. Not saying you(or I) shouldn't, just saying it applies.

Rule 3: I highly disagree with the poster saying all the foxes will be snapped up on welcome weekend. That's not the mindset to take. You can be a guy who wants to meet his spouse, just don't be 'that guy'.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 16:39
Avernusaur wrote:
I've actually wondered the same thing. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I'm looking to get married, but I would definitely like to meet a girl who's really smart. I'm not sure what the availability of cute smart girls is at top-tier b-schools, but what about other schools on campus, like law school, med school, etc? Maybe it would be a good idea to date someone who's also going to have a really demanding career 2-3 years post-graduation.

Is there a website out there that ranks B-Schools by who has the hottest girls? :)

Dude, girls swoon left and right for hopping gophers...haven't you heard?
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 16:50
TL wrote:
Avernusaur wrote:
Your name isn't Neil Strauss by chance is it? :)

haha, respect.

Here's a little gem I read about months ago, and have actually used (mixed results, but always fun).

The best three-line opener I've ever seen.

The Apocalypse Opener
1) You having a good time?
* She replies (yes, no, whatever)
2) What are you doing after this?
* She replies (who cares what she says)
3) You wanna go home with me?
*** You absolutley must ask this question as if you're asking what the weather's like. Don't say it jokingly, awkwardly, or creepy.***

So you're thinking, there isn't a chance in hell that actually works, but it does and I'll tell you why. If the girl is an uptight loser, she's going to be pissed off which is good... saves you from wasting your time on her. If the girl the girl is easy and looking to get some, she'll take you up on it right away. Here's what's most likely to happen though: The girl has a sense of humor and will admire your confidence. She doesn't want to feel like a slut, so don't treat her like one. If she continues the conversation with you, she's interested and already knows your intentions. Buy her a couple drinks and close the deal. Keep in mind, no opener will do everything for you, you've gotta have a good end-game too.

If a girl turns you down, just use Mystery's line: "I didn't say you could, I just asked if you wanted to." Teasing can go a long way :)

Here's my absolute favorite bar game. I have actually used this as an opener before and it worked, but I wouldn't recommend it. There's something suspicious about a random person asking you to play a game. If you use this on a girl, even if she isn't the one you're interested in, make sure you involve her friends to make sure she's answering right/wrong. It will increase the chances of her friends accepting you. I always bet a drink. Having a girl buy the first drink after losing to me in a game always sets the right tone :)

Neil Strauss' 5 Questions Game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aWoN8MvGKw
Schools: NYU Stern '11

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 19:21
chitchat wrote:
I will vouch for there being cute, intelligent, single girls applying to top schools.

There are cute girls, intelligent girls, and single girls. Cute, intelligent AND single girls however exist only in the realm of the fantastic.

*ducks*

:P 8-)
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 19:23
You might find this one interesting...

http://marquisweblog.blogspot.com/2005/06/sometimes-its-little-things-that.html

Some highlights:

Quote:
Don’t be afraid to venture out into the other graduate schools for dating prospects. I know a couple of people who have found success with prospects from other departments...

Quote:
It might seem cool to go after undergraduates, but you’d be better served not doing so. Chances are, it won’t take much game to pull one of them, but, when the word gets out that your 25+ year old self has been trying to go after 18-20 year olds, you’ll come off looking hella shady.

Quote:
Also, be wary of those shark females…you know what I mean…those women who will get extra geeked about you when they find out you’re pursuing an MBA from a top school. I’ve heard (and seen for myself) how some women’s vibe changes when they find out about your schooling and, if that happens, take that as a sign to do like Saddam and retreat into a fox-hole. Some are trying to dig in your pockets and others are trying to get a wedding ring out of you, so make sure that any woman you deal with is checking for you and not your resume. I know that y’all are grown and that this is a basic part of the game, but, when it comes to matters of the booty, it can get complicated and I’d be turning my back on part of the “Fellas’ Charter” if I didn’t give these warnings :-)

Quote:
I’ll just say that stories spread pretty quickly when you’re in an enclosed social environment like B-school, so it doesn’t looks good to be that person who goes out every week, gets drunk as a skunk, and ends up trying to mack on every prospect possible.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 02:45
solaris1 wrote:
There are cute girls, intelligent girls, and single girls. Cute, intelligent AND single girls however exist only in the realm of the fantastic.

I think the fact solaris1 has not been flamed by now is a good indication on the odds of meeting your (female) spouse at b-school.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 10:11
bostonsparky wrote:
The point of most of the pick up stuff is to 'polarize' the person, aka it will take a guy who normally intrigues say 10% of the girls he meets, irritates 10%, and is 'just another guy' for 80%, and make him into someone who irritates 50% but intrigues 20% (and is therefore arguably twice as successful). All depends if that trade-off is worth it for you.

From what I've seen, yes, he is a touch more successful at opening conversations than he was before. However, he generally continues on with his Mystery Method and never really cuts out of it. After 5-10 minutes, the girls usually just think he's a jerk. Not to mention, he really annoys most of his friends (like me).

If you just use those gimmicky pick-up lines to start a conversation - fine. If it's ingrained in you that you *must* behave a certain way and it's not coming naturally - you're just going to be super awkward.

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 10:29
agold wrote:
From what I've seen, yes, he is a touch more successful at opening conversations than he was before. However, he generally continues on with his Mystery Method and never really cuts out of it. After 5-10 minutes, the girls usually just think he's a jerk. Not to mention, he really annoys most of his friends (like me).

If you just use those gimmicky pick-up lines to start a conversation - fine. If it's ingrained in you that you *must* behave a certain way and it's not coming naturally - you're just going to be super awkward.

Agreed, I feel being that kind of guy sabotages you too much in other areas to be worth it. Something that hasn't been brought up yet is also the plethora of good wingmen/wingwomen that will be available in Bschool. People who will know how to network/introduce people etc, can immediately vouch that you have your sh*t together and will approach situations from a perspective similar to yours (aka, logically). The married/taken classmates can be especially useful in this regard since it will give them a chance to live vicariously through you. Picking up a couple floozies is definitely not worth alienating said peers, IMHO.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:09
Those pickup line gurus are completely retarded. Any guy who uses pickup lines and succeeds would have succeeded anyway with plain discourse. Conversely, there is no pickup line in the world that is going to get somebody with no game and no confidence hot girls. Well, short of telling her you play in the NFL or NBA.

While I'm on the subject, I saw this video on the side-pane in YouTube when I was viewing the previously posted one, and had to share. I don't know whether to laugh at this or be fearful that there are probably swarms of guys taking this advice to heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSXYdmOn ... re=related
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 12:06
To be clear, I watch the Pick Up Artist, promise myself I will use the techniques, then, without fail, fall back on my old friends Whiskey and Soda. Ah, alcohol, the cause of (and solution to) all of life's problems.

A good wingwoman is worth her weight in gold. More, usually.
SVP
SVP
B
Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 13:01
And if that doesn't shut them up you whip out your iPhone and show them the law student v. b-school student rap video.

agold wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
You might find a few women in law school that think there is something wrong with a person that "only" goes into business. I've seen some people have the idea such as "Well, you're doing business. It's not like you have to pass an exam to be licensed to practice business." Just be prepared to meet some jerks. Mainly the guys trying to "protect" the women law students from any other grad student intruders.

msday86 wrote:
i assume that MBA/JD mixers are pretty common...usually JD students are a couple of years younger as they tend to come right out of undergrad. i see a lot of potential here.

That's when you whip out your Goldman Sachs offer letter and show the JD guys whose boss.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 13:02
I have a feeling it's just sort of understood. On one hand you have a guy with a few years of real-world experience under his belt who is 26-28 years old and on the other hand you have a broke college kid who is 23-24. Big difference in maturity levels, thought processes, etc. I doubt the law school guys will prove to be any serious competition :)
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 13:51
haha, i thought i should get in a comment before this thread gets locked up...LOL
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 17:24
a bunch of pervs on lsatclub.com :P
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 18:21
chances of losing your spouse during your MBA (or shortly there after) are much greater than meeting them from what I have heard.
Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 21:57
liubhs02 wrote:
riverripper wrote:
chances of losing your spouse during your MBA (or shortly there after) are much greater than meeting them from what I have heard.

so the take away is don't get married before b-school, do it after b-school.

I'm using that excuse with my girlfriend.

Unfortunately marriages last at a WAY higher rate than other relationships. I would say that half of my friends who showed up having a girlfriend or boyfriend are now single...some of these folks had been together for years. If you live together its better or if they are in the same city but still not the same. They might decide that if you are this busy with school and you never see each other its definitely not going to improve when you graduate.

Also many people wont move half way across the country without a ring on their finger. A lot of my friends who are married got married this past spring or summer.
Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2008, 22:18
I have actually not observed the same trend as RR as most of my friends have remained in the relationship they were in prior to bschool. If you want to make a relationship work, you can make it happen. B-school WILL consume more of your time. The key is to set expectations so they know how busy you will be.

Also, I believe if you really care for your significant other, you will make it work. If that means missing a night of going out so you can spend time with him/her or catching up with them on the phone, then do it. Really figure out what is important to you and make the necessary choices/sacrifices.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2008, 15:01
why do i get the feeling this may be a number of GMAT clubbers, come welcome weekends & beyond...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

:P
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2008, 17:06
Not that hard to fathom. Very few other things instantly tell someone

1) This person is self-sufficient (at least enough to afford a flight like this)
2) He/she is likely single, since sitting alone
3) Travels, and is therefore likely more interesting/spontaneous than your token townie at the local bar

and also give you a decent window of un-interrupted, nothing to compete with conversation.

For whatever reason my thing has always been co-ed sports leagues (espec kickball). But anyone who just thinks 'oh a plane ride, ill just bring a book and doze off' is totally limiting their opportunities.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2008, 17:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23    Next  [ 449 posts ] 

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi