GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Schools: Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:21
I think my parents, mostly my mom, would love for me to find my wife, have children, and move back home.

I know alot of people meet their spouse at grad school. What my chances at MBA?

Let me say. Im a pretty nice guy. I think fairly obtainable. My grandma says I am handsome.

So do many people meet at MBA and get married?
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:24
First we will need more information to fully evaulate.

What was your GMAT? GPA? Leadership experiences?
Schools: Ross '15 (M)

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2013, 22:02
Rexman is attending the Full-time program at the Ross School of business this Fall and is charming enough to get any single woman in the program to marry him. Will he meet his spouse within the MBA program?

(1) 30% of the 900 business students will be women.
(2) 270 of the women at Ross will be either married or otherwise involved.

(A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.

(B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.

(C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.

(D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.

(E) Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

Answer

(E) Rexman could be gay or bisexual and we don't know if he is charming enough to seduce any single men or whether or not there will be any single men in the program.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 16:23
nadtrans wrote:
TL, i knew u would respond to this thread. lol

like a moth to a flame my man :P

p.s. i will be running a workshop in Q2'09, for GMAT clubbers looking to step up their game before entering the b school scene. please PM me with your response to two of the following questions (150 word limit on each) so i can tailor the material accordingly.

1.) Please describe your most significant accomplishment as it pertains to your romantic endeavors.

2.) Please describe a time in which you seduced an attractive member of the opposite sex. What characteristics or skills enabled you to do so?

3.) Summarize your relationship experience to date, beginning from high school, and including any one-night stands or other casual encounters.

4.) What's most important to you in a mate and why?

OPTIONAL: If you have never kissed a girl, please explain why and also describe what you think it would be like.
Current Student
Schools: Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2008, 16:15
I'm shocked, shocked by the responses my original post elicited.

Actually not ready.

Fact is, alot of us who are heading to b school (if we get in), have the knowledge we did not in undergrad - that is the college campus is a wealth of riches compared to post work world.

I seriously have to rely on meeting girls at locales like the seat next to me on an airplane and dangit, thats pretty much it.

My dating life since college, and where I met the girl:
1. Girl #1 (she sat next to me on airplane)
2. Girl #2 (she sat next to me on airplane)

When I get on airplane and an old woman sits next to me, I'm like "ok, im gonna be single this year."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2011, 15:25
We need to have a 'hot or not' of gmatclub, except no pictures are allowed, only profiles. You decide how sexy the person is based on their GMAT, GPA and work experience. Then the female and male winners, decided by those with the highest overall score, are forced to go on a date, I go along and videotape the whole thing and no matter how incredibly awkward it is we post it online.

Its a cross between The Voice, Hot or Not and Love In The Wild.

Bonus points are awarded if the date results in an epic cultural mismatch, like if the guy is from Singapore and talks with his mouth full for the entire meal while chewing on crunchy embryo eggs (google: balut images) while the girl ends up being vegetarian. Double Bonus points if the guy doesn't pick up the cue and orders extra balut for her too.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2012, 17:32
I have visited an ample amount of schools and visited many cities. As a single male who will never get married or have children (I don't like to be tied down and ruin my life), one of my biggest priorities are women. I will break down each school and cities women:

*Note: This is the opinion of me and me only. Everything was written for humor (although with a lot of truth) and to kill time during this intense application season.

1. CBS: By far the most beautiful women I have seen at all the MBA programs I have visited, even the info sessions had an abundant amount of beautiful ladies. It's also NYC, where the women outnumber the men by half a million. I told a friend that being in NYC was akin to being in a Psychology class, they outnumbered the men and 70% were beautiful.

2. Stern: A decent amount of beautiful women. It's hard to say if the school as a whole has good looking women because the campus is spread out the entire city, but from what I saw in class and the area in which it was located, it deserves the #2 rank. The info session was tiny compared to Columbia, so there were only 2 women who showed up, but one of them was pretty. The admission's rep who took us around looked and talked exactly like Jamie Lynn Discala

3. HBS: Born and raised in Boston where I spent 22 years, I can tell you regardless of what the movie -"Ted" says, the women here are very beautiful. They might be a little more picky as to the type of guys they look for, even downright racist, but they know what they want. The women at HBS were pretty, but I think it has to do with its diverse international student body. I was actually pretty amazed at how down to earth everyone was, including the women. I'm sure in their mind, they are set for life, which gives them a very approachable demeanor.

4. Wharton: Overall, everyone in the city of Philly, UPenn, and Wharton are more the cute "girl next door" types. People aren't too overly concerned with outwardly appearances but they are pretty in their own right.

5. Haas: A little bit biased here, but this was my undergrad and I lived in the San Francisco Bay area for 7 years. Although the women aren't as pretty as the others schools ranked above, it is California. Warmer weather leads to less clothing, and gives the appeal that they might be better looking. California in general, especially for the large cities (SF, LA, Man Jose, SD) have the men outnumbering the women by large quantities. It's the great sausage state, so the competition is rather stiff.

6. Kellogg: Not going to lie, Chicago and its surrounding area is lacking in the good looks department. I was very shocked to not find beautiful women, even when I was proactively hunting for them. My friend told me it's due to the midwest talent pool. But I found a decent amount of pretty women here, so it alleviated some concerns about moving to Illinois.

7. Johnson: Ithaca, what can I say? I think I saw about 4-5 women here, and 3 of them weren't bad. I guess that's a good percentage then?

8. Yale SOM: No, just no.

9. Booth: Read #6, this school exemplified it. The women here were not nice at all, especially since the environment felt very cut throat competitive, it made the women even more unattractive. The vibe I was getting from the women can be summed up to being miserable, depressing, suicidal, and irritable. I had a conversation with one of the students at Haas and she pretty much summed it up "Booth's facility is amazing. But it's a real bubble from Chicago, because the students have to be protected from the misery."

I still have UCLA and Marshall left to go, but I can tell you already it's going to end up high on the list. Opinions? haha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:58
irishspring wrote:
do b school students ever date undergrad? im only 26. not too creepy.

Its frowned upon. Your classmates will make fun of u. But if u find a hot undergrad, to hell with ur classmates. Just go for it!
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 15:06
irishspring wrote:
i agree. i think its appropriate.

especially for people like me, who when in high school the girls ignored and went for older guys.

its payback time.

Haha, I am picturing a middle-aged guy showing up at the frat house with a case of Natty light in one hand and a funnel in the other wearing the b-school sweatshirt. Awesome.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 15:36
bostonsparky wrote:
Rule 1: This chart always, always applies:

http://cuzoogle.files.wordpress.com/200 ... scale1.gif

Yes, you're talking about Barney Stinson's crazy/ hot scale. According to the scale, a girl is allowed to be crazy, as long as she is equally hot. She must be rated above the Vickie Mendoza diagonal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvkTdNbJ3EY&feature=related
Current Student
Schools: Ross, Cornell ($), Kellogg, Wharton, Stanford, Berkeley ($$)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 18:48
As a female, this thread definitely made me laugh really hard, so thanks for that guys.
When I find some more time, I'll post some female perspective comments to the pick up lines. :-D

In the mean time, I will vouch for there being cute, intelligent, single girls applying to top schools.

And yes, hit the gym. The girls are doing it too.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2008, 20:23
Actually, its a little known fact that Tara Reid is a Wharton MBA.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2011, 23:04
From the Ross School of Business:

http://www.themsj.com/home/index.cfm?ev ... 99b706de14

Ami Horne's take on dating and recruiting

I overheard the following conversations at the business school last week: "I'm not sure it's going to work out. I just felt that it wasn't the right fit." "We're going out to dinner at the Chop House tonight!" "I don't know what happened. He never called afterwards."

Interviews or dates, what are they talking about? With internship recruiting season in full swing, it's a little tough to tell. In fact, the whole process feels very much like a date. Well, except for the sex part. Hopefully, you're not sleeping with recruiters because I think OCD would frown on that. By the way, has anyone started fantasizing about a recruiter in the middle of the interview or is that just me? Um, anyway, here's the Ami Horne take on dating and recruiting.

Networking - A match made in heaven?

Prior to the interviews, it's all about networking and "finding your fit" with a company. You have to put yourself out there and test the waters, very similar to the beginning of the dating process. I really thought the lines started to blur when I attended a marketing event called "speed recruiting." And sometimes, the MBA2s like to do some matchmaking. "I really have a feeling about you and Booz Allen!"

Wine me, dine me…

First the companies try to win you over. They usually break the cardinal rule of first dates and take you out to some of Ann Arbor's finest restaurants. Vineology, the Earl, the Chop House, nothing's too good for our potential interns! Just like a date who's trying too hard to impress, are they setting the expectations too high?

Marketing yourself

Is there really a difference between the conversation in an interview and a first date? Sure, we may not use the exact words, "tell me about a time…" but we tend to spin our answers in a similar matter. Do I even need to give you an example?

Interview question: "Why did you leave your last job?"
The interview answer: "I really enjoyed the company but I had reached my maximum potential in my field and decided to pursue an MBA to transition to a more strategic general management career."

The real answer: "I hated my job and I was ready to stab myself in the eye with a fork if I didn't get into Michigan. My boss was a jerk. I had a relationship with a co-worker that ended badly. Take your pick."

Date question: "When was your last relationship?"
The date answer: "I had a boyfriend for a while but when I started business school, we just wanted different things and grew apart."

The real answer: "He conveniently ran into his ex the week after I left and next thing I knew, I was history. But he was bad in bed anyway."

"It's not you, it's me"

Rejection is never easy. They tell you that they'll call you between 5pm to 7pm so you wait anxiously by the phone for that 2nd round call. But that magical call never comes. "Maybe they're running late," you tell yourself. At 8pm, you finally give up. "But I thought they liked me!" you say in disappointment as your MBA2 mentor comforts you. Sometimes the recruiters can't even break the news themselves and get some lackey from HR to send the impersonal rejection email. Other companies let you down easy. "There were just so many good candidates… and we only have a limited number of internship spots." "Remember, recruiting is a two-year process".

A love connection

An offer, finally! Everything is right in the world again. It's funny how much your confidence improves once you're getting some… Some offers, that is! You stand up a little straighter, you act more self-assured in the interviews that follow, and suddenly, everyone wants you! It's really funny how both recruiters and potential dates are attracted to confidence. Now, it's your turn to give the "it's not you, it's me" speech.
Good luck to everyone in both recruiting and dating! It all turns out in the end, right? That's another one of my favorite lines.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2013, 12:59
stochastic77 wrote:
Any opinions on the quality of the men at Booth, Sloan, and Tepper? Specifically, the availability of brilliant, cerebral men who also have a personality?

Sorry stochastic, might be tough sledding for you at B-school. :P
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:25
All I can say is choose your school intelligently. Some schools are more conducive to meet your significant other, while others are not. And believe me, you r not the only one looking to hook up with someone during the MBA, although u might be the only one talking abt getting married to that person :)

Another tip, participate in chats on GC. I met my current gf on a GC chat (though she doesnt know abt it).
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:32
I visited Duke. and saw the Fuqua Foxes.

Totally understand what you are saying.

I think I used to be drawn to girls that were not A types. But now as I get older I am. I dated this theatre girl in college for three years. Pretty spoiled.

Now I think I am more attracted to McKinsey type girls. Very emotionally independent. Could break my heart, and not care, so long as the bottom line improves.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:33
what is male/female ratio at business schools?

prolly around 3:1 at best

and those females r in school for a simple reason... they were struggling to find a rich husband so they decided to become rich themselves :)

haha...

well..

why wont u look for a wife several yrs after u graduate? that way u will have a great pool of applicants to chose from...hopefully...

or

maybe u wanna have another MBA in da house

whos gonna be the boss?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:34
irishspring wrote:
Let me say. Im a pretty nice guy.

uh oh.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 15:02
i agree. i think its appropriate.

especially for people like me, who when in high school the girls ignored and went for older guys.

its payback time.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 22:58
Audio wrote:
PS: I hear a lot of **** happens on welcome week-end (the happiness of the moment I guess)

Do you think it's possible to be a "Welcome Weekend Crasher?"

What a fun lifestyle that would be... all those moments of happiness you could exploit.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2008, 22:58

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23    Next  [ 449 posts ] 

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi