GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 11:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 26
Location: India
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 13:51
1
dentobizz wrote:
targetdec31 wrote:
Could someone explain the usage of Present perfect tense
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history .

Why not Of all the vast tides of migration that swept through history ?


Present perfect is used to denote a continued action (as in this sentence) or its continued effect.


Thanks dentobizz / waterflowsup for the prompt reply :)
@ waterflowsup .. You are right and I had no intent to do so. That was just for my understanding and not for questioning official question . I know that is blasphemy :oops:

So I understand now that the action is ongoing so Present Perfect .

I posted so to cross check whether Past perfect was used here by any chance for action in past with some unknown time.
for e.g. I have visited the US . ( some time in past ) vs
I visited the US in 2012 ( action in past at definite time )
So I thought on those lines .

Anyways that seems not the case here .
Thnx again for the reply :)
_________________

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 08:30
3
3
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades.
(A) maybe none is more concentrated as
(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

My answer was (C). Now I understand "it is none" is slightly wordy but what's wrong with the tense? The first part of the sentence has a present perfect tense, and describes all the tides from a distant past till the the present time. So by that logic shouldn't it convey the meaning that until now no wave is more concentrated than the wave ... Then why wouldn't (C) be the correct choice?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Schools: ISB '15 (S)
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 08:49
4
I think the answer is E

My logic- As the sentence is talking about a wave that happened in the past, so you have to use past tense to signify the change in tone.

See example maybe this helps:
Of all of Maroon5 performances, none was as memorable as the one performed at the Emmy's. ( Correct tense usage)
Of all the Maroon 5 performances none is as memorable as the one performed as the Emmy's ( Sounds weird, right ?)

Hope it helps!
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3434
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 13:17
you could pick the right answer considering only the vern tense "was"

the event happens in the past, completely. So the other answer choices that use the verb in the present tense "is" are wrong

regards
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Posts: 82
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 22:00
Yup all I looked at when I did this question for the first time (it's in the OG of course) was the tense. Did a split using the tense and went with E as the answer. Would never go with C. Apart from the incorrect tense it is also verbose - 'it is none that is'.
_________________

Here's how I got a 760 on the GMAT

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 794
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 23:25
1
Deepro wrote:
My answer was (C). Now I understand "it is none" is slightly wordy but what's wrong with the tense? The first part of the sentence has a present perfect tense, and describes all the tides from a distant past till the the present time. So by that logic shouldn't it convey the meaning that until now no wave is more concentrated than the wave ... Then why wouldn't (C) be the correct choice?


Yeah, that "it is none" phrase should have been a major red flag for you. "It" doesn't have a clear referent and you won't see the GMAT use that phrasing in a correct answer.

I can see how you might be getting confused with the verb tense. The present perfect is used not to show that each wave is still "currently" sweeping, but rather the present perfect is used to show that waves of migration continue to "sweep" through history. The wave that is discussed in this question has come and gone, so we use the past tense to describe that wave.

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Battle for 700+ is ON!!
Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 01-18-2014
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2013, 05:43
I adopted this way to eliminate wrong choices.

A, B --> out as 'more ... as' is an incorrect idiom
C,D --> out as 'it' introduces discrepancy & awkward style

and finally picked 'E' in 25seconds :twisted:
_________________

Cheers,
BG

Hit 'Kudos' if you find my post helpful


OG 13 Verbal Directory: http://gmatclub.com/forum/official-guide-verbal-question-directory-og-13-and-og-161949.html#p1121171
Question Of the Day: http://gmatclub.com/blog/category/blog/gmat-tests/?fl=menu
Extreme Collection of 2000 PS & DS: http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html?fl=similar
CR Tips & Approach to arrive at Best Answer: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached. I won't stop till I hit 700+

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 871
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2014, 11:19
First split : More than vs More as : A,B out.
It is none : No one is such ( All tides have swept ---> context wise in history, thus present tense is not required).
None was : No one was ( Yes thats a right pointer to the past tides)
C and D out.

Answer is E.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2014
Posts: 20
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2014, 06:00
KyleWiddison wrote:
Deepro wrote:
My answer was (C). Now I understand "it is none" is slightly wordy but what's wrong with the tense? The first part of the sentence has a present perfect tense, and describes all the tides from a distant past till the the present time. So by that logic shouldn't it convey the meaning that until now no wave is more concentrated than the wave ... Then why wouldn't (C) be the correct choice?


Yeah, that "it is none" phrase should have been a major red flag for you. "It" doesn't have a clear referent and you won't see the GMAT use that phrasing in a correct answer.

I can see how you might be getting confused with the verb tense. The present perfect is used not to show that each wave is still "currently" sweeping, but rather the present perfect is used to show that waves of migration continue to "sweep" through history. The wave that is discussed in this question has come and gone, so we use the past tense to describe that wave.

KW


Kyle or E-GMAT or Mike or anyone,

Please clarify my question/concept.

Present tense is used to describe a fact that is current in the present or is used to describe a general habit/practice.

For example, if the sentence reads - "No other wave is more concentrated than the wave that brought 12 million immigrants to shore"

So there was a wave that brought 12 million immigrants and that wave completed its action. But till now no other wave is more more concentrated ( (a fact that is still current in the present) than the wave in the past (the one that brought 12 million immigrants)

I have major confusion in past tense/present tense concepts. So Please clarify my understanding. I will highly appreciate it.
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 976
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2014, 07:19
1
saikrishna123 wrote:
For example, if the sentence reads - "No other wave is more concentrated than the wave that brought 12 million immigrants to shore"

So there was a wave that brought 12 million immigrants and that wave completed its action.

That's the issue. The moment you say: No other wave is more concentrated, it does not mean there was a wave. It means: there is a wave, which is obviously incorrect, because the wave clearly does not exist any more; it started and finished in the past, and hence, the use of simple past is most suitable.

saikrishna123 wrote:
But till now no other wave is more more concentrated ( (a fact that is still current in the present) than the wave in the past (the one that brought 12 million immigrants)

Yes, and the use of present perfect: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history in the sentence is making it clear that till now no wave has even been more concentrated.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 7
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2015, 01:22
This sentence depends on the comparative structure x is more than y. Here, an idiomatically incorrect construction x (none) is more as y (the
wave) is used. In addition, the second part of the sentence uses the past tense verb brought, indicating that the event is over. The verb used in
the comparative construction must also be past tense, x (none) was more concentrated than y (the wave). Maybe and perhaps are interchangeable;
perhaps is slightly more formal.

C It is none that is more … is wordy; also, in this
context, it must refer to something (unlike in
phrases such as “it is clear that …”), yet it
does not plausibly refer to anything.
D As in (C), it is none that was more … is
wordy; it must refer to something, yet it
does not plausibly refer to anything.
ECorrect. The correct comparative
construction is used in this sentence; the
verb is past tense.
_________________

KUDOS PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Posts: 12
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 09:16
past tense is required because of the verb "bought"
Meaning=> of all the tides of migration, none was more concentrated than a particular wave ( that bought 12 million immigrants)
error: tense and more as (comparison)
A,B=> tense issue and more than is correct
C,D wordy, tense issue
SVP
SVP
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 1888
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2016, 21:19
More should always be accompanied by than if we are comparing something. Hence we can eliminate options A and B.
In C and D, "it" has no clear antecedent.

Talking about tenses, a present tense should not be used for a past event with the exception of a universal phenomenon

Correct Option: E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Sep 2015
Posts: 473
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 17:09
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto
American shores in little more than three decades.

(A) maybe none is more concentrated as
(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated
than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated
than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than



idiom:'more..... than......', not 'more... as....' is correct
but are we comparing anthing here?


A is wrong because of the reason mentioned
B is wrong same reason
C is wrong because it is wordy than the correct answer(E)
D more wordy than correct answer
E Correct answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Dec 2013
Posts: 203
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 21:50
gtr022001 wrote:
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept
through history, maybe none is more concentrated as
the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto
American shores in little more than three decades.
(A) maybe none is more concentrated as
(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated
than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated
than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

What is wrong with choice (d)? thx!


A The "more... as" phrase is incorrect.
B The "more... as" phrase is incorrect.
C "It" is ambiguous and the entire phrase is awkward, indirect, and wordy. Also past tense is needed here.
D Ditto the above.
E Correct
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 635
Premium Member
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 13:41
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 19 Dec 2016
Posts: 58
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 06:15
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto
American shores in little more than three decades.

(A) maybe none is more concentrated as
(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated
than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated
than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

Hi All,

Can some one please explain me if option E was as below-

perhaps none is more concentrated than

would this still have been a correct answer

question that i want to ask here is "do we necessarily need a past tense here ?"

if yes, then i think it is because " tides are being compared with wave that in turn is modified by a relative clause "that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores", which is in past tense.

am i correct here ? or the reason is something else

Thanks.
_________________

If you want to appreciate, just click on Kudos.

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 976
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 00:39
1
GTExl wrote:
Can some one please explain me if option E was as below-

perhaps none is more concentrated than

would this still have been a correct answer

Hi GTExl, you might want to look at my reply here.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 19 Dec 2016
Posts: 58
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 01:11
EducationAisle wrote:
GTExl wrote:
Can some one please explain me if option E was as below-

perhaps none is more concentrated than

would this still have been a correct answer

Hi GTExl, you might want to look at my reply here.



Thanks EducationAisle,

you cleared my doubt.
_________________

If you want to appreciate, just click on Kudos.

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 734
Premium Member
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 09:41
KyleWiddison wrote:
Deepro wrote:
My answer was (C). Now I understand "it is none" is slightly wordy but what's wrong with the tense? The first part of the sentence has a present perfect tense, and describes all the tides from a distant past till the the present time. So by that logic shouldn't it convey the meaning that until now no wave is more concentrated than the wave ... Then why wouldn't (C) be the correct choice?


Yeah, that "it is none" phrase should have been a major red flag for you. "It" doesn't have a clear referent and you won't see the GMAT use that phrasing in a correct answer.

I can see how you might be getting confused with the verb tense. The present perfect is used not to show that each wave is still "currently" sweeping, but rather the present perfect is used to show that waves of migration continue to "sweep" through history. The wave that is discussed in this question has come and gone, so we use the past tense to describe that wave.

KW


Hello KyleWiddison, mikemcgarry, and GMATNinja

How will you define and differentiate between a fact and a past event? Can we use present tense for a past event that is a fact?

Thanks
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through &nbs [#permalink] 26 Aug 2017, 09:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.