Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [12]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618595 [2]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Re: Of the 5 distinguishable wires that lead into an apartment, 2 are for [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
vishalrastogi wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Have solved this by using this method : 3C2 X 2C1 + 3C1 X 2C2 = 9.

Is this correct ?

Yes, it is. It's a direct approach in contrast to {total}-{restriction} approach used in the posts above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Re: Of the 5 distinguishable wires that lead into an apartment, 2 are for [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
vishalrastogi wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Have solved this by using this method : 3C2 X 2C1 + 3C1 X 2C2 = 9.

Is this correct ?

Yes, it is. It's a direct approach in contrast to {total}-{restriction} approach used in the posts above.

Thanks Bunuel. I always have my fingers crossed when I solve combinations.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Of the 5 distinguishable wires that lead into an apartment, 2 are for cable television service, and 3 are for telephone service. Using these wires, how many distinct combinations of 3 wires are there such that at least 1 of the wires is for cable television?

A. 6
B. 7
C. 8
D. 9
E. 10

Hi,

In these Q, where atleast is used, the best is to find none and then subtract from total..
here total ways= 5C3=5!/3!2!=10..
ways where no cable television is used=3c3=1..
therefore ways containing atleast one wire of cable tele=10-1=9..
ans D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Thanks to the GMAT Club Maths Book for explaining Combinations. Hope, I've done justice to the same (with a correct answer)

Given:
Total number of wires = 5
Number of cable wires = 2
Number of telephone wires = 3

To find:
Number of combination which has at least one cable wires

Solution:
No of ways of selecting 'at least' 1 cable wire means, we can select more than one as well. The minimum we can select is one and the maximum we can select, given the constraints that 3 wires need to be selected in total and there are 2 cable wires, is 2

Since it is a combination of wires, the arrangement is not important

Approach 1:

Number of ways of selecting at least one cable wire in a selection of 3 wires from 5 wires = Selection 1 (Number of ways of selecting one cable wire and two telephone wires )+ Selection 2 (Number of ways of selecting two cable wires and 1 telephone wire)

Selection 1
Number of ways of selecting one cable wire = 2C1 = 2
Number of ways of selecting 2 telephone wires = 3C2 = 3
Total = 2C1 * 3C2 = 6 ( m ways of doing something and n ways of doing something else together give m*n ways of doing - the holy grail rule in Combinatorics)

Selection 2
Number of ways of selecting one cable wire = 2C2 = 1
Number of ways of selecting 2 telephone wires = 3C1 = 3
Total = 2C2 * 3C1 = 3 ( m ways of doing something and n ways of doing something else together give m*n ways of doing - the holy grail rule in Combinatorics)

Selection 1 + Selection 2 = 9 ways of selecting 3 wires out of 5 such that at least one is a cable wire

Approach 2

Number of ways of selecting 3 wires out of 5 such that at least one is a cable wire = Selection X (Total number of ways of selecting 3 wires from the 5) - Selection Y (total ways of selecting 3 wires such that none is a cable i.e all the three are telephone wires)

Total number of ways of selecting 3 wires out of 5 = 5C2 = 10
Number ways of selecting 3 wires such that none is a cable i.e all the three are telephone wires = 3C3 ( 3 telephone wires and we are selecting all the three at once) = 1

Selection X - Selection Y = 9

Answer is Option D

GMAT Club Math Book https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
So I suck at combinations/permutations/whichever one this question was. When there aren't many possibilities I have better luck just listing the combinations.

CTT
TCT
TTC
CCT
TCC
CTC

I am apparently missing three though? According to the other explanations which seem a lot more correct then what I did...
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kelzie01 wrote:
So I suck at combinations/permutations/whichever one this question was. When there aren't many possibilities I have better luck just listing the combinations.

CTT
TCT
TTC
CCT
TCC
CTC

I am apparently missing three though? According to the other explanations which seem a lot more correct then what I did...

Hi,
why you are going wrong is because you are missing out on an important word..distinguishable..
so take C as C1 and C2... T as T1,T2,T3..
now try, you will get the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
chetan2u wrote:

Hi,
why you are going wrong is because you are missing out on an important word..distinguishable..

Hmm...it seems that will give me way more than 9? Way, way more. Even just adding C1 and C2 to the first 3 gets me to 9-not even considering that there is T1, T2...

C1TT
TC1T
TTC1
C2TT
TC2T
TTC2
CCT
TCC
CTC
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kelzie01 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

Hi,

Hmm...it seems that will give me way more than 9? Way, way more. Even just adding C1 and C2 to the first 3 gets me to 9-not even considering that there is T1, T2...

C1TT
TC1T
TTC1
C2TT
TC2T
TTC2
CCT
TCC
CTC

hi,
one of the C1 and C2 is must and rest three are T1,T2,T3..
the ways are
C1,C2,T1
C1,C2,T2
C1,C2,T3
C1,T1,T2
C1,T3,T2
C1,T1,T3
C2,T1,T2
C2,T1,T3
C1,T3,T2..
there are 9 ways..
and any one above is just one way..
you can't take C1,C2,T1 as
C1,C2,T1..
C2,C1,T1
T1,C2,C1
you are picking up three, order does not matter as The Q is about combinations..
hope it is clear now..
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts