GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Of the four major cities in a region, City A, City B and City C all

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
Of the four major cities in a region, City A, City B and City C all  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 16:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (02:23) correct 29% (01:56) wrong based on 93 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of the four major cities in a region, City A, City B and City C all lie on the shore of Lake X. City D, however, lies on the shore of Lake Z. All four cities use the lakes that they lie on to dump treated sewage and the citizens of all four cities also use the lakes for recreation. A scientist theorized that Lake Z, next to City D, would be cleaner than Lake X because, from the perspective of Cities A, B, and C, each would accrue all the benefits of dumping sewage in Lake X, but would spread the costs of having the sewage in the lake across the three cities. At the same time, City D would have to deal with all the costs of having the sewage in Lake Z, so the scientist concluded that City D would dump less sewage. After surveying the two lakes, however, the scientist found that the opposite was true – there was more sewage in Lake Z.

Each of the following, if true, would help explain the results found by the scientist, EXCEPT:

A. Two years ago, Cities A, B and C spent a considerable sum on a sewage clean-up project in the lake next to their cities.
B. No monitoring systems exist that can tell exactly how much sewage is being dumped by each of the four cities.
C. Cities A, B, and C all know that if one of the cities overuses the lake for sewage dumping, the other two will dump even more sewage, with the consequence that the lake would be completely ruined for recreational use.
D. City D has been dumping sewage in Lake Z for 175 years, while the other three cities have only used Lake X for dumping for 25 years each.
E. City D is twice the size of the other three cities combined.

Please +1 Kudos

“Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
Re: Of the four major cities in a region, City A, City B and City C all  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 20:36
DPANJA wrote:
Is it B?

Sent from my SM-J210F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Please +1 Kudos

“Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Re: Of the four major cities in a region, City A, City B and City C all  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 21:22
Sandeep AVK wrote:
Pls explain why it is B

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

"B. No monitoring systems exist that can tell exactly how much sewage is being dumped by each of the four cities."

Statement B tells us that there is no way to determine which city dumps how much sewage into the lakes. Thus we don't know whether city D dumps more than cities A, B and C combined. It can be inferred that statement B is the only one that does't help to explain why lake Z is more congested than lake X.

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Of the four major cities in a region, City A, City B and City C all &nbs [#permalink] 26 Dec 2017, 21:22

Of the four major cities in a region, City A, City B and City C all

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap