Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome : GMAT Data Sufficiency (DS)
Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 23 Feb 2017, 11:22
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2013, 09:33
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:53) correct 44% (02:09) wrong based on 139 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome at least 40 years of age. What percent of the members are men under 40 years of age?

(1) Of the female members of the health club, half are at least 40 years of age.
(2) Of the members of the health club at least 40 years of age, half are men.

This question is from GMAT Math Bible from Jeff Sackmann
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 24 Jun 2013, 11:08, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
6 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1123
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 184

Kudos [?]: 1998 [6] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Of the members of a certain health club [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2013, 10:45
6
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are women at least 40 years of age. What percent of the members are men under 40 years of age?
The info of the text is in black.

(1) Of the female members of the health club, half are at least 40 years of age.
The info of statement 1 is in green. Not sufficient as you can see

(2) Of the members of the health club at least 40 years of age, half are men.
The info of statement 2 is in blue/purple. Not sufficient as you can see

1+2)Now we have all the info we need to find the value of "?": \(10%\)
Attachments

Immagine.JPG
Immagine.JPG [ 10.87 KiB | Viewed 2050 times ]


_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 37102
Followers: 7250

Kudos [?]: 96422 [1] , given: 10751

Re: Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2013, 11:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ankurjohar wrote:
Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome at least 40 years of age. What percent of the members are men under 40 years of age?

(1) Of the female members of the health club, half are at least 40 years of age.
(2) Of the members of the health club at least 40 years of age, half are men.

This question is from GMAT Math Bible from Jeff Sackmann


Similar questions to practice:
are-at-least-10-percent-of-the-people-in-country-x-who-are-122734.html
committee-x-and-committee-y-which-have-no-common-members-96572.html
are-at-least-80-percent-of-the-people-in-country-x-131639.html

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13934
Followers: 589

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2014, 11:28
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13934
Followers: 589

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 06:28
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Apr 2016
Posts: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 84

Re: Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 06:44
Zarrolou wrote:
Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are women at least 40 years of age. What percent of the members are men under 40 years of age?
The info of the text is in black.

(1) Of the female members of the health club, half are at least 40 years of age.
The info of statement 1 is in green. Not sufficient as you can see

(2) Of the members of the health club at least 40 years of age, half are men.
The info of statement 2 is in blue/purple. Not sufficient as you can see

1+2)Now we have all the info we need to find the value of "?": \(10%\)

Please explain more elaborately.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 37102
Followers: 7250

Kudos [?]: 96422 [0], given: 10751

Re: Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 07:45
ishitam wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are women at least 40 years of age. What percent of the members are men under 40 years of age?
The info of the text is in black.

(1) Of the female members of the health club, half are at least 40 years of age.
The info of statement 1 is in green. Not sufficient as you can see

(2) Of the members of the health club at least 40 years of age, half are men.
The info of statement 2 is in blue/purple. Not sufficient as you can see

1+2)Now we have all the info we need to find the value of "?": \(10%\)

Please explain more elaborately.


Dear ishitam, in order to get help you should be more specific when asking a question. Thank you.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Apr 2016
Posts: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 84

Re: Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 07:55
Bunuel wrote:
ishitam wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are women at least 40 years of age. What percent of the members are men under 40 years of age?
The info of the text is in black.

(1) Of the female members of the health club, half are at least 40 years of age.
The info of statement 1 is in green. Not sufficient as you can see

(2) Of the members of the health club at least 40 years of age, half are men.
The info of statement 2 is in blue/purple. Not sufficient as you can see

1+2)Now we have all the info we need to find the value of "?": \(10%\)

Please explain more elaborately.


Dear ishitam, in order to get help you should be more specific when asking a question. Thank you.


I did not understand the explanation provided in the solution.
So,I was asking the person to elaborate more on this.
The question and the solution provided,both are unclear to me.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 37102
Followers: 7250

Kudos [?]: 96422 [0], given: 10751

Re: Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 08:00
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Aug 2015
Posts: 103
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 77

Re: Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 23:22
Bunuel wrote:
ishitam wrote:
I did not understand the explanation provided in the solution.
So,I was asking the person to elaborate more on this.
The question and the solution provided,both are unclear to me.


Check this: Asking excellent questions.


Hi Bunuel, Can you please explain st2. From st2 how can we say that 30% of M are at least 40?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 37102
Followers: 7250

Kudos [?]: 96422 [0], given: 10751

Re: Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 03:26
rakaisraka wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ishitam wrote:
I did not understand the explanation provided in the solution.
So,I was asking the person to elaborate more on this.
The question and the solution provided,both are unclear to me.


Check this: Asking excellent questions.


Hi Bunuel, Can you please explain st2. From st2 how can we say that 30% of M are at least 40?


Assume there are 100 people in total.

From the stem, of these 100 people, 30 people are women 40+.
(2) says of 100 people who are 40+, half are men. Thus another half are women, basically it means that there are equal number of men and women in 40+ group. We know from above that there are 30 women who are 40+. Therefore there must be 30 men who are 40+.

Hope it's clear.

P.S. For better understanding please check similar questions:
are-at-least-10-percent-of-the-people-in-country-x-who-are-122734.html
committee-x-and-committee-y-which-have-no-common-members-96572.html
are-at-least-80-percent-of-the-people-in-country-x-131639.html
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2017, 03:26
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic A certain club has 20 members. How many of the members of the club are Bunuel 3 28 Oct 2015, 06:01
6 A certain health club offers only yoga classes and spin classes. If al JusTLucK04 6 31 Oct 2014, 11:38
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equa Walkabout 9 26 Dec 2012, 03:44
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic What percent of the drama club members enrolled at a certain Bunuel 10 20 Aug 2012, 02:16
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute cunconpk 8 25 Aug 2010, 19:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of the members of a certain health club, 30 percent are wome

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.