GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 17:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of the people who moved from one state to another when they

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 May 2007
Posts: 211
Of the people who moved from one state to another when they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2008, 05:47
1
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (00:57) correct 44% (01:20) wrong based on 778 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years. Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A)SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.
B)There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.
C)The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years.
D)SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees.
E)The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2008
Posts: 672
Re: CR-Sunstate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2008, 06:00
Quote:
Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses


Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

So we need to search for an option that shows the businesses are dependent on anything but for retirees

A)SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.-> irrelevant to business.
B)There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.->directly contradicts thus perfect!
C)The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years.-> irrelevant
D)SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees.->irrelevant
E)The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.-> irrelevant
_________________

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1345
Re: CR-Sunstate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2008, 07:08
aaron22197 wrote:
Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years. Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A)SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.
B)There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.
C)The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years.
D)SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees.
E)The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.


This is testing a concept common in the Quant section of the GMAT- the difference between ratios and absolute quantities. We know that there has been a slight decline in the percentage of people retiring to SunState. That does not mean there has been a decline in the number of people retiring to SunState. If more people are retiring to other states than ever before, it remains possible that the number of retirees to SunState has increased, even if the percentage of the total has declined slightly. E tells us precisely this.

B is tempting here, since it suggests that the economic effect might not be "noticeably negative". Still, the question tells us that "many local businesses cater to retirees", which suggests that these businesses are important to the local economy. It remains possible, even assuming B to be true, that tourism-related businesses make up half the local economy, and retirement-related businesses make up a quarter of the local economy.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1181
Re: CR-Sunstate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2008, 08:54
I think this questionhas already been discussed. A typical B trap. The question asks the effect on bussinesses catering to retirees in particular so B is out.
E seems to be the best option,its a ratio question
bcos if the total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years(AS E states), then definitely the no of people coming to state will increase.


aaron22197 wrote:
Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years. Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A)SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.
B)There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.
C)The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years.
D)SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees.
E)The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1246
Reviews Badge
Re: CR-Sunstate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2008, 09:57
2
Tot number of retiress = T
number of retirees moving to sunsstate = x
% of retirees moving to sunstate p = (x/T)*100
p decreases , if T increases ,x is constant
p decreases , if x decreases , T is constant
p deceases , if T increases , X increases (but the increase is not very high compared to T)

in 20007, T =100,x =20 , p= 20 %
in 2008, t =1000, , p = 10 %

to calculate x in 2008 : x = (1000*10)/100 = 100

The percentage of people moving is decreased but the actual number of people (x) moving has increased.

E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 258
Of the people who moved from one state to another when they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 06:20
Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years. Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.

B. There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.

C. The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years.

D. SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees.

E. The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 491
Re: CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 07:52
I guess this is a trap, and I guess ans should be A....here is why

C, D and E are out....

Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.

it means that businesses those serve to retirees will have -ve impact and not entire catering business....

A. SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.

B. There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees. - states other businesses, which are catering to tourists and not to retirees, I would go for B if it has been stated as businesses switched catering from retirees to tourist...but it is not so

therefore IMO A....
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1181
Re: CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 09:20
1
This is a perfect example of percentage trap. The ans shld b E.
Suppose earlier no of ppl who migrated was 100 and % who retired to suncity was 10%. then their no is 10. But if the total no of ppl increased say to 1000 but % migrated to suncity decreased to 5%. so no of ppl retiring 2 suncity is 50 which is definitely more than earlier. I hope it is clear now
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 229
Re: CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 09:57
ritula wrote:
This is a perfect example of percentage trap. The ans shld b E.
Suppose earlier no of ppl who migrated was 100 and % who retired to suncity was 10%. then their no is 10. But if the total no of ppl increased say to 1000 but % migrated to suncity decreased to 5%. so no of ppl retiring 2 suncity is 50 which is definitely more than earlier. I hope it is clear now


A:just says that it attracts more people than any other states. but the question states that it has decreased by 10%.
B:says nothing abt the impact on the businesses that cater to retirees.
C:totally unrelated
D:unrelated
E: proportion has decreased but actual has increased=>means total would have increased=>no impact on businesses.
hence E.
_________________

-----------------------
tusharvk

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 830
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Re: CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 10:18
tusharvk wrote:
ritula wrote:
This is a perfect example of percentage trap. The ans shld b E.
Suppose earlier no of ppl who migrated was 100 and % who retired to suncity was 10%. then their no is 10. But if the total no of ppl increased say to 1000 but % migrated to suncity decreased to 5%. so no of ppl retiring 2 suncity is 50 which is definitely more than earlier. I hope it is clear now


A:just says that it attracts more people than any other states. but the question states that it has decreased by 10%.
B:says nothing abt the impact on the businesses that cater to retirees.
C:totally unrelated
D:unrelated
E: proportion has decreased but actual has increased=>means total would have increased=>no impact on businesses.
hence E.


B > the argument doesnt talk about businesses that cater to retirees...it talks about 'local' businesses.
B says that there might be other local businesses like travel related which will not be impacted and hence may not have a negative impact on local businesses.

what is OA?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 652
Re: CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 12:16
good explanation ritula. +1 for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 457
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Re: CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 14:34
Hi mates,

IMO E

E. The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.

Althoug the figure as relative value has decreased by 10%, thanks to E it is possible that the total number of retirees that have moved to that state has increased, which is positive for the local business

OA and Source?

Cheers
_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Re: CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 17:14
tusharvk wrote:
ritula wrote:
This is a perfect example of percentage trap. The ans shld b E.
Suppose earlier no of ppl who migrated was 100 and % who retired to suncity was 10%. then their no is 10. But if the total no of ppl increased say to 1000 but % migrated to suncity decreased to 5%. so no of ppl retiring 2 suncity is 50 which is definitely more than earlier. I hope it is clear now


A:just says that it attracts more people than any other states. but the question states that it has decreased by 10%.
B:says nothing abt the impact on the businesses that cater to retirees.
C:totally unrelated
D:unrelated
E: proportion has decreased but actual has increased=>means total would have increased=>no impact on businesses.
hence E.


E is the correct response for the reason mentioned above. Proportion tells us nothing about the actual number. If 50% of 100 retirees moved to SunState in the past (total 50 retirees) and now only 10% of the 10,000 retirees move to SunState, then obviously 10% of 1000 (lower proportion) > 50% of 100. Hope this helps,
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1479
Re: CR [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2009, 17:57
yep, E.

Why B cannot be right is because number of local tourism businesses may be more but their contribution to the economy may be negligible.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2010
Posts: 237
Of the people who moved from one state to another when they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2011, 16:06
1
3
Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years. Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

a. SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.
b. There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.
c. The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years.
d. SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees.
e. The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.

Can someone tell me how to improve on my CR. Apparently i am doing ok in OG but I am being battered in mgmat exams. Please could someone help me out here. Thanks
_________________

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2010
Posts: 60
Re: Of the people who moved from one state [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2011, 11:55
Please read the POWER SCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE

I have been doing it and what i have realized is that it makes you channelize your focus as you can
look for answers based on the question type.

It has nicely divided all the question types into three families. Its a very good book to increase accuracy and speed in CR.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2010
Posts: 187
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Re: Of the people who moved from one state [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2011, 04:09
E. that was straight forward.
no offence meant, but is this really 700 level Q?
either that or this must be my lucky day :-D coz i too am weak in CR
_________________

this time, we play for keeps

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 230
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Re: Of the people who moved from one state [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2011, 12:12
1
ajit257 wrote:
Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years. Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

a. SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.
b. There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.
c. The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years.
d. SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees.
e. The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.

Can someone tell me how to improve on my CR. Apparently i am doing ok in OG but I am being battered in mgmat exams. Please could someone help me out here. Thanks


Hello ajit,

It would be good if you had a good grasp of CR as a whole and I also believe that the Powerscore CR would definitely help you in that area.
After that just practicing would help improve your score. Try to find some LSAT exams with which to practice, it has difficult questions compared to those the GMAT has. So, yup I think that would help you.

Let's come to the q: The passage says "Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years."
Then it concludes the argument by saying, "Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses."

The author assumes that the local businesses will suffer because there aren't that many retirees coming into Sunstate. What would weaken (or cause someone to doubt the conclusion) the argument is that the local businesses would not suffer a negative economic effect.

How do we show this? By showing that there is not that much of a significant change in the amount of retirees coming into the state.
The passage says that the number of retirees coming into the state has decreased by 10% it could mean that the original number is 100,000 (bringing the current number to 99,000) that's a significant change. Now what if the original number of retirees decreased from 100 retirees (now the number of retirees would become 90 - a decline of 10%).

E is correct because it says that the total number of retirees that moved to another state increased instead of decreased - so that would mean taht the percentage does not exactly represent a significant decrease, therefore the local businesses would not suffer a negative economic effect.

IMHO

HTH

Mari
_________________

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!


"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 172
Location: Prague
Schools: University of Economics Prague
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Of the people who moved from one state [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2011, 08:56
Eeasy one :) and I agree CR Bible is very good book.
_________________

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3422
Re: Of the people who moved from one state [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2011, 03:44
mariyea wrote:
ajit257 wrote:
Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years. Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

a. SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.
b. There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.
c. The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years.
d. SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees.
e. The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.

Can someone tell me how to improve on my CR. Apparently i am doing ok in OG but I am being battered in mgmat exams. Please could someone help me out here. Thanks


Hello ajit,

It would be good if you had a good grasp of CR as a whole and I also believe that the Powerscore CR would definitely help you in that area.
After that just practicing would help improve your score. Try to find some LSAT exams with which to practice, it has difficult questions compared to those the GMAT has. So, yup I think that would help you.

Let's come to the q: The passage says "Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years."
Then it concludes the argument by saying, "Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses."

The author assumes that the local businesses will suffer because there aren't that many retirees coming into Sunstate. What would weaken (or cause someone to doubt the conclusion) the argument is that the local businesses would not suffer a negative economic effect.

How do we show this? By showing that there is not that much of a significant change in the amount of retirees coming into the state.
The passage says that the number of retirees coming into the state has decreased by 10% it could mean that the original number is 100,000 (bringing the current number to 99,000) that's a significant change. Now what if the original number of retirees decreased from 100 retirees (now the number of retirees would become 90 - a decline of 10%).

E is correct because it says that the total number of retirees that moved to another state increased instead of decreased - so that would mean taht the percentage does not exactly represent a significant decrease, therefore the local businesses would not suffer a negative economic effect.

IMHO

HTH

Mari



what do you say is this: the decrease of 10% is not to much compared to the TOTAL number of people that move from one state to another ??? for me C could best fit the bill.........but OA makes sense.
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Re: Of the people who moved from one state   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2011, 03:44

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 40 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of the people who moved from one state to another when they

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.