Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
Re: Of the students who eat in a certain cafeteria, each student either [#permalink]
we only know about 2/3 of the students , what they like and dislike but we don't know about the rest 1/3 of the students. In 1/3rd students , there could be students who like sprouts only or who like brussels only or who like them both. So as per my understanding none of the options are sufficient
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Re: Of the students who eat in a certain cafeteria, each student either [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
dimitri92 wrote:
Of the students who eat in a certain cafeteria, each student either likes or dislikes lima beans and each student either likes or dislikes brussels sprouts. Of these students, 2/3 dislike lima beans; and of those who dislike lima beans, 3/5 also dislike brussels sprouts. How many of the students like brussels sprouts but dislike lima beans?

(1) 120 students eat in the cafeteria
(2) 40 of the students like lima beans

Attachment:
del5.jpg

"Of the students who eat in a certain cafeteria, ... "
Say T students eat in the cafeteria

"Of these students, 2/3 dislike lima beans"
(2/3)*T dislike Lima

"and of those who dislike lima beans, 3/5 also dislike brussels sprouts"
Of (2/3)T, (3/5) also dislike brussels so (3/5)*(2/3)T = (2/5)T dislike brussels
We don't know about the rest of the (T/3) that how many of them dislike brussels.

"How many of the students like brussels sprouts but dislike lima beans?"
(2/3)T dislike Lima and (2/5)th of these like Brussels (since (3/5)th of these do not like Brussels)
So (4/15)T dislike Lima but like Brussels.

(1) 120 students eat in the cafeteria
This gives us the value of T. We need to find (4/15)T which we can now. Sufficient

(2) 40 of the students like lima beans
(2/3)T dislike Lima so (1/3)T like Lima. If (1/3)T = 40, we get T = 120.
Again, we can now find (4/15)T. Sufficient.

Answer (D)

KarishmaB
For "Of the students who eat in a certain cafeteria, each student either likes or dislikes lima beans and each student either likes or dislikes brussels sprouts." I originally thought that this meant you cannot dislike both and you cannot like both, so I out zeroes in for likes Brussel Sprouts & Lima Beans and zeroes in for dislikes brussels sprouts and dislikes lima beans. Then, I see that these are both options. So, what does "Of the students who eat in a certain cafeteria, each student either likes or dislikes lima beans and each student either likes or dislikes brussels sprouts" mean then? Is it just a long way of saying that there are no other choices besides lima beans and Brussel sprouts?
Thank you for your time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Could you please inform me where do I see the info on the question source? Trying to avoid Gmat prep materials Bunuel
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts