GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Feb 2019, 08:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Valentine's day SALE is on! 25% off.

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

We don’t care what your relationship status this year - we love you just the way you are. AND we want you to crush the GMAT!

Of the three Bronte sisters, people are usually more familiar with Cha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Of the three Bronte sisters, people are usually more familiar with Cha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Feb 2019, 23:51

Project SC Butler: Day 89: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Of the three Bronte sisters, people are usually more familiar with Charlotte who wrote Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire.

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN RE-POSTED HERE.

(A) people are usually more familiar with Charlotte who wrote Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

(B) people are usually most familiar with Charlotte who wrote Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

(C) Charlotte, who wrote Jane Eyre, is usually most familiar to people, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

(D) Charlotte is usually more familiar to people, writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

(E) Charlotte is usually most familiar to people for writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

The few, the fearless !

Originally posted by sudarshan22 on 03 Feb 2019, 11:30.
Last edited by generis on 06 Feb 2019, 23:51, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Of the three Bronte sisters, people are usually more familiar with Cha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 16:46
sudarshan22 wrote:
Of the three Bronte sisters, people are usually more familiar with Charlotte who wrote Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire.

IMO - C

(A) people are usually more familiar with Charlotte who wrote Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire
''Of the three sisters'' should modify ''Charlotte'' and not ''people''

(B) people are usually most familiar with Charlotte who wrote Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire
''Of the three sisters'' should modify ''Charlotte'' and not ''people''

(C) Charlotte, who wrote Jane Eyre, is usually most familiar to people, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire
Correct

(D) Charlotte is usually more familiar to people writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire
People are not writing ''Jane Eyre'', it is ''Charlotte'' who wrote it

(E) Charlotte is usually most familiar to people writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire
People are not writing ''Jane Eyre'', it is ''Charlotte'' who wrote it
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.6
Re: Of the three Bronte sisters, people are usually more familiar with Cha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 18:56
sudarshan22 wrote:

(D) Charlotte is usually more familiar to people writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

(E) Charlotte is usually most familiar to people writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

IMO correct answer is A.
B distorts the meaning with "most familiar"
C incorrectly modifies people with "people, a popular novel"
D and E incorrectly modify people again and distort the meaning too
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 00:09
Every option with "more" is wrong. We compare 3 sisters, therefore only one can be the most familiar. If there were two it would have been "more".

E misses "for" after "to people".
C has a wrongly used modifier where it modifies people not book.
B it is.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 02:14
I chose B...
Ignored A use of "more" and we are comparing more than two people. But I didn't consider what the clause was modifying.
Someone explain further

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 07:23
sudarshan22 wrote:

Meaning of the original sentence:
1. There are three Bronte sisters
2. Charlotte is one of the Bronte sisters
3. People are usually most familiar with Charlotte
4. Charlotte wrote Jane Eyre
5. Jane Eyre is a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

Errors of the original sentence:

We use "more" and any other comparative form to compare =2 entities.
We use "most" and any other superlative form to compare >2 entities.

So we have 3 sisters, "more" is wrong in this sentence, we need "most".

To me opening pp modifier "Of the three Bronte sisters" has to be followed after comma by the name of one of the Bronte sisters, so I treated it as an error, eliminated (B), then faced epic fail when discovered that (C), (D) and (E) is also wrong on solid grounds. So now I know that all the rest is wrong and I'm back to (B), even if I don't like it, and don't have to ;)
Seems it is more or less acceptable to have this kind of sentence constraction.
At lest GMAT is not tesing opening modifier here, but obvious split between (A)-(B) and (C)-(D)-(E) is confusing.
In such cases we have to leave this split and find other errors.

POE

(with "most" we are fine here, but n+nm is too far away from modifying entity, it seems modifing people in preceeding clause, anyway placement is not working here, it cannot jump over whole clause to modify "Jane Eyre)

("more" is wrong, also we have meaning shift here, now people all the time writing Jane Eyre - out)

(meaning shift here, now people all the time writing Jane Eyre - out)

Between (B) and (C) modifier placement (B) seems more logical.
Attachment:
B.JPG
B.JPG [ 45.71 KiB | Viewed 879 times ]

B is the answer.

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

It is pointless to try to study if it is not fun, then it becomes a chore. At that point, you will either hate your studies or became afraid of them.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 09:33
I would go with B on this one too.

Only A and B get the meaning correct and we are looking for the "most" familiar rather than for the "more" familiar sister.

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 18:01
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 18:35
pikolo2510 wrote:
sudarshan22 aragonn

Not sure how E is the right answer. Does not make sense at all.

Will wait for your explanation

Hi pikolo2510.

(E) does not make sense, and there is no correct answer to this question.

In (A) and (B), the opening modifier is about the sisters, but the subject is "people." Since an opening noun modifier must modify the subject of the clause that follows the opening modifier, (A) and (B) are absolutely incorrect.

In (C), "people" is described as a "popular required reading novel". Gone.

In (D) more should not be used to designate one of three, and "people" are described as "writing Jane Eyre."

In (E), "most" is correctly used, but "people" are described as "writing Jane Eyre." Gone.

No correct choice. So, you can learn from the incorrect choices, but there's no way to get this one right.

Marty Murray
Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 18:50
pikolo2510 wrote:
sudarshan22 aragonn

Not sure how E is the right answer. Does not make sense at all.

Will wait for your explanation

pikolo2510 - Straight I too can reject A,B,C . for sure modifier related error. But I dnt like D and E too. cause of the use of 'writing Jane Eyre' after people without using ','. Even if there is a comma before, it would not modify the verb. does not make sense ---- 'she is famous cause she is writing jane Eyre.'
Still I have to pick one between D and E, I will go for E. you see, we are talking about one among three. Most is the right call for that. comparison is for 2 things. Also Lack of 'than' is also gave me a way. A right use of 'than' could have turned thing around, but here most is the best to say the intended meaning.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

SC Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 20:23
Official Explanation :

The sentence as written begins with the phrase of the three Bronte sisters which incorrectly modifies people, the noun immediately after comma. Therefore, eliminate (A) and (B), which repeats the error.

Choice (C) correctly places Charlotte net to the modifying phrase of the three Bronte sisters, but incorrectly refers to the noun people as a popular required reading novel.

Choice (D) uses the quantity word more, which compares exactly two items, and is incorrect in a sentence about three Bronte sisters.

Choice (E) places Charlotte next to the modifying phrase of the three Bronte sisters and makes no other errors, so this answer choice is correct.

The few, the fearless !

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 20:40
GKomoku wrote:

Attachment:
A.JPG
A.JPG [ 20.62 KiB | Viewed 651 times ]

Dear generis aragonn sudarshan22

could you please share the rule to describe this construction?

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

It is pointless to try to study if it is not fun, then it becomes a chore. At that point, you will either hate your studies or became afraid of them.

Senior SC Moderator
V
Of the three Bronte sisters, people are usually more familiar with Cha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 23:17
GKomoku wrote:
GKomoku wrote:

Attachment:
A.JPG

Dear generis aragonn sudarshan22

could you please share the rule to describe this construction?

GKomoku , there is no such rule. :(

There was a typo in Option E.
I just caught it.

I have corrected that typo. Thanks for tagging me. :)

To live is the rarest thing in the world.
Most people just exist.

Oscar Wilde

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 23:50
sudarshan22 wrote:

(D) Charlotte is usually more familiar to people [, ] writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

(E) Charlotte is usually most familiar to people for writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

Ashokshiva , aanjumz92 , Veljkoc94 , rupeshnverbal , Chei , eswarchethu135 , SUMITXL7 , GKomoku , Arro44 , pikolo2510 , MartyTargetTestPrep , aragonn , and GKomoku

In the originally posted question, there was a typographical error in option E.
The word "for" was missing.

I have edited the question.
I also added a comma to D, after people

sudarshan22 had a rough day on the keyboard front!

I have had those kind of days.

Please, if there are issues with the questions themselves (structural problems, no correct answer, no OA, etc.):

1) report the post. Report a problem is the third option in from the right of the screen.
Click it. You just type in the problem.
Using that button is almost always the fastest way to get help with a question that has errors.

That Report a Problem button is NOT for regular posts whose answers you don't like or whose answers are wrong.
Report a Problem is for issues such as this one in which the question from which you work seems to have no correct answer.

If Report a Problem does not work,

2) tag generis (me), or sudarshan22 , or aragonn

3) If that tagging does not work, PM me. (All three of us work at demanding full-time jobs. We also sleep occasionally. :) )

Apologies, everyone.

Most people just exist.

Oscar Wilde

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 03:12
generis wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:

(D) Charlotte is usually more familiar to people [, ] writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

Ashokshiva , aanjumz92 , Veljkoc94 , rupeshnverbal , Chei , eswarchethu135 , SUMITXL7 , GKomoku , Arro44 , pikolo2510 , MartyTargetTestPrep , aragonn , and GKomoku

In the originally posted question, there was a typographical error in option E.
The word "for" was missing.

I have edited the question.
I also added a comma to D, after people

sudarshan22 had a rough day on the keyboard front!

I have had those kind of days.

Please, if there are issues with the questions themselves (structural problems, no correct answer, no OA, etc.):

1) report the post. Report a problem is the third option in from the right of the screen.
Click it. You just type in the problem.
Using that button is almost always the fastest way to get help with a question that has errors.

That Report a Problem button is NOT for regular posts whose answers you don't like or whose answers are wrong.
Report a Problem is for issues such as this one in which the question from which you work seems to have no correct answer.

If Report a Problem does not work,

2) tag generis (me), or sudarshan22 , or aragonn

3) If that tagging does not work, PM me. (All three of us work at demanding full-time jobs. We also sleep occasionally. :) )

Apologies, everyone.

Thank you for clarifying :)

I went through the other replies and had significant difficulties understanding why "E" was the correct choice, the new sentence, including the "for", makes much more sense however.

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

SC Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 08:55
generis Thank you for rectifying the issue and bringing it to our notice. :)

all Apologies for the confusion created because of the missing word. :?

The few, the fearless !

Director
Director
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 04:45
Quote:
E)
Charlotte is usually most familiar to people for writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:

In (E),"most" is correctly used, but "people" are described as "writing Jane Eyre." Gone.

As far I know that "most" indicates more than 50%. So, where is the consistency of the word "most" in the choice E?
Thanks__

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 20:56
Quote:

(A) people are usually more familiar with Charlotte who wrote Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire : who among the three sisters? Charlotte. The noun subject must be as close to the modifier as possible.

(B) people are usually most familiar with Charlotte who wrote Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire : Same as A

(C) Charlotte, who wrote Jane Eyre, is usually most familiar to people, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire : What is popular? Jane Eyre. The noun subject must be as close to the modifier as possible.

(D) Charlotte is usually more familiar to people, writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire : Awkward construction

(E) Charlotte is usually most familiar to people for writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire : Correct answer, but the use of "usually most famous" is awkward
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 21:01

(A) people are usually more familiar with Charlotte who wrote Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire : Subject Charlotte must be as close to the modifier "of the three sisters" as possible

(B) people are usually most familiar with Charlotte who wrote Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire : Same as the case in A

(C) Charlotte, who wrote Jane Eyre, is usually most familiar to people, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire : "Popular" modifying "Jane Eyre" must be as close to it as possible.

(D) Charlotte is usually more familiar to people, writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire : Awkward construction

(E) Charlotte is usually most familiar to people for writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire : Correct and better than the rest, but the use of "usually most familiar" is weird.
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 22:31
AsadAbu wrote:
Quote:
E)
Charlotte is usually most familiar to people for writing Jane Eyre, a popular required reading novel in the high school repertoire

MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:

In (E),"most" is correctly used, but "people" are described as "writing Jane Eyre." Gone.

As far I know that "most" indicates more than 50%. So, where is the consistency of the word "most" in the choice E?
Thanks__

AsadAbu Nothing is wrong with most.

In this kind of sentence, most does not mean OR "indicate" more than 50%.
What source gave you the idea that most is always defined in that manner?

Most is an adverb that modifies familiar.
Familiar is a subject complement of Charlotte.
Familiar is also an adjective.

Most helps to form the superlative of some adjectives and adverbs.
These adjectives and adverbs tend to have more than one syllable.

When we need to make a word a superlative, we use
most in English when we cannot tack an -EST onto the end of a word.

steady → steadiest
famous → most famous
odd → oddest
obtuse → most obtuse

familiar → familiarest?
No.
familiar → most familiar

Here is a similar sentence in which I substituted well-known for familiar:
Michelangelo is typically most well known to people for painting the Sistine Chapel, but he loved sculpting more than all other art forms.

When in doubt about what words mean—or perhaps even when not in doubt—consult a dictionary.
Look at the section titled "adverb" in the definition of "most" in Oxford Dictionary online, here

Hope that clears up your issue.

Most people just exist.

Oscar Wilde

GMAT Club Bot
Of the three Bronte sisters, people are usually more familiar with Cha   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2019, 22:31

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Of the three Bronte sisters, people are usually more familiar with Cha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap