GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 May 2018, 15:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

<Official>The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
<Official>The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 21:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (00:29) correct 25% (00:35) wrong based on 651 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi to its source, look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and return.

A. look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and return.
B. to look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and then return.
C. to look for easy water routes across the continent, to continue to the Pacific, then returning.
D. look for easy water routes across the continent, to continue to the Pacific, and to return.
E. look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, then returning.

This is an official question from Exam Pack 2.
Looking for responses to explain the right answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Schulich '16
Re: <Official>The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 01:41
A

for parallalism,
if u look closely all other choices except A , destroy parallelism.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: <Official>The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 02:34
hsbinfy wrote:
A

for parallalism,
if u look closely all other choices except A , destroy parallelism.

Please elaborate. I was not able to understand the parallelism in this question.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 02:43
This post received
KUDOS
unuk50 wrote:
The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi to its source, look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and return.

A. look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and return.
B. to look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and then return.
C. to look for easy water routes across the continent, to continue to the Pacific, then returning.
D. look for easy water routes across the continent, to continue to the Pacific, and to return.
E. look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, then returning.

D) to follow....,to look....,to continue....,and to return

A) to (follow...,look....,continue....and,return)

both are // structures .

Why not D is the answer .

Is it the brevity ?

way to victory .....

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 02:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
unuk50 wrote:

Hi,

the statement talks of four parallel events - follow, look , continue, and return...

so all the 4 should be parallel and similar..
It can be done in two ways-
1) to follow..., to look...., to continue...., and to return - which may not exactly suit here, since all the events follow a sequence as written,..
2) to follow..., look..., continue..., and return.. Correct..

Only A follows the parallelism correctly, while showing proper sequence of activities

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 11:57
This question tests the same rule as does question 79 in OG2015. Sometimes parallelism doesn't require prepositions before each element.

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 12:17
unuk50 wrote:

L&C expedition was to follow, look, continue and return

Structure in A maintains the parallelism.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 09:00
chetan2u wrote:
unuk50 wrote:

Hi,

the statement talks of four parallel events - follow, look , continue, and return...

so all the 4 should be parallel and similar..
It can be done in two ways-
1) to follow..., to look...., to continue...., and to return - which may not exactly suit here, since all the events follow a sequence as written,..
2) to follow..., look..., continue..., and return.. Correct..

Only A follows the parallelism correctly, while showing proper sequence of activities

I eliminated option A becaz I read somewhere that actions around AND are parallel, for eg. "reading And listening to music" <- this can be performed parallelly. Can we consider 'Return' here with other actions? If yes, is it becaz the context on the expedition plan and not the actual action?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 09:43
Amit0507 wrote:
I eliminated option A becaz I read somewhere that actions around AND are parallel, for eg. "reading And listening to music" <- this can be performed parallelly. Can we consider 'Return' here with other actions? If yes, is it becaz the context on the expedition plan and not the actual action?

chetan has explained above that all the four are infinitives: to follow..., to look...., to continue...., and to return. So, they are parallel.

"to" is implied in the rest of the three.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 10:07
sukanyar wrote:
Amit0507 wrote:

chetan has explained above that all the four are infinitives: to follow..., to look...., to continue...., and to return. So, they are parallel.

"to" is implied in the rest of the three.

Plz. read my qtn. I understand how & why thy are parallel. My qtn - can the actions (literally) be considered executed parallelly?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology
Schools: AGSM '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 13:17
No, IMO the actions are not considered parallel but sequential.
It's sort of parallelism applied to events that we know will happen sequentially.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 18:45
Nick90 wrote:
unuk50 wrote:

both are // structures .

Is it the brevity ?

I almost made the same mistake. If you look closely, D) is missing to look - it's just look, which destroys the parallelism.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 04:33
unuk50 wrote:

Hi Verbal Experts,
I saw this question on my EP2 today and was unable to figure out correct choice . I wasted my 2 minutes on this and still got it wrong. My confusion is how do I choose between D and A. I chose D over A because I thought "look for ..across the continent" serves as appositive phrase and doesn't require use of "to". Kindly elaborate your approach on choosing correct answer and how to tackle such kind of parallelism based questions which may or may not involve appositive phrases.

Thanks and Kudos for the explanation. :)
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 06:39
Nick90 wrote:
unuk50 wrote:

both are // structures .

Is it the brevity ?

Hi
D doesn't have " to look." In its structure.

ajay2121988 wrote:
No, IMO the actions are not considered parallel but sequential.
It's sort of parallelism applied to events that we know will happen sequentially.

Posted from my mobile device

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
<Official>The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 02:03

:!:

I hate long and complicated explanations!

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 05:47

Option A is correct
We can set up parallelism with to before each element or to before first element rest of the elements following subsequently.

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Jun 2017, 00:57
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Amit

Quote:
Plz. read my qtn. I understand how & why thy are parallel. My qtn - can the actions (literally) be considered executed parallelly?
\
Pl don't misread parallelism for simultaneity. When you say you want to do A, B, C, and D, you want to do them one after another. An action like ' return' will mean by reasoning that it is the last of the action. The application of sequence is an essential part of the logic of GMAT. After all one can't return before doing these things.

For example,

Ate and slept,
dreamt and danced,
joined the school and failed miserably etc
are all parallel, but can one do the actions of each of the pairs at the same?

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 24 Jun 2017, 07:14.
Last edited by daagh on 25 Jun 2017, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 00:38
Imo A
It correctly maintains parallelism.
E comes close but then returning plays spoilsport.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Schools: Copenhagen (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.17

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 12:53
EMPOWERgmatRichC is this considered a 4-item list? I have never seen one of these... and had thought that any 4-item list would be incorrect.

thanks
Re: <Official>The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2018, 12:53

<Official>The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap