Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Given Kudos: 2380
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: OffiGMAT Practice Exam vs. Manhattan CAT Exam, what's the discrepancy? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Focused21 wrote:
I took the Manhattan Cat Exams and scored a 530, 540, and 590 respectively but for the Official GMAT Practice exam i got an unimaginable score: 390. I didn’t get home until late the night before and felt unprepared but I’m not sure what the discrepancy is. Please advise? I've been studying for 4 months now and I'm almost done with a GMAT in-class course but I thought I was progressing until I took my first ever Official GMAT practice exam.
Maybe you were just tired? From now on, try to avoid taking a GMATPrep under such conditions. Don't "waste" your best tests!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
OffiGMAT Practice Exam vs. Manhattan CAT Exam, what's the discrepancy? [#permalink]
Also, I scored 520, 530, 540 (each 2 weeks apart) and then I scored 590 on my fourth CAT but for some reason its not loading for the percentile info so here are my first 3 CATs

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
I have been studying for the past 4 months, 2-3 hours a day on weekdays and then usually take Fridays off. I take practice exams on Saturdays or Sundays and I usually spend 4-5 hours a day Saturday and Sunday studying if I'm not taking the practice exam and adding to my error log. (My Sherpa GMAT class is usually tuesdays and every other sunday for 3.5 hrs each)
2) What study materials have you used so far? Official GMAT Guide 2019, Official GMAT Verbal Guide 2019, Official GMAT Math Guide 2019, Sherpa GMAT Class packets, Magoosh GMAT App

3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
Q/V Scaled Score/Q/V Est Percentile
CAT 1: Q: 32/22% V: 30/59%
CAT 2: Q: 36/31% V: 27/47%
CAT 3: Q: 37/34% V: 28/52%

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?680-700
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT? As soon as I get the desired score
6)When are you planning to apply to Business School? I don't plan to apply for business school until 2021 but I would like to get the GMAT done as soon as possible as I am trying to apply for Management Leaders of Tomorrow Prep Program by August 2019 which requires a 500 min GMAT score but if you don't score well above that I believe you have to pay for a GMAT course on your own in addition to strengthening your application within the program. (You apply to the program at least a year prior to applying to business school as the program is a year long process from my knowledge)
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
I'm interested in Consortium schools, ideally a top 10 (Interested in MBB.)

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: OffiGMAT Practice Exam vs. Manhattan CAT Exam, what's the discrepancy? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Focused21,

You've given yourself plenty of 'lead time' before you actually 'need' your GMAT Score - which is good. Now that you've defined your timeline and goals, we can take a closer look at your most recent CAT (the 390).

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Even though my first quant score on GMAT Prep was similar to my Veritas tests, I know that it left me shocked me with how much more abstract it felt compared to Veritas. There were 2 or 3 questions I felt like were more basic reasoning questions rather than math questions - it just felt far less quantitative to me. The next two exams were much smoother for me in the sense that I was better equipped to deal with what came my way and the questions didn't surprise me nearly as much with their presentation, and a lot of the thins I got wrong were due to careless mistakes. Remember, it's not how many questions you get wrong but rather what difficulty level questions that you get wrong which really matter for your score. As AjiteshArun mentioned, it's probably a waste to use the GMAT Prep exams while you are very tired. Good luck and happy studying!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Focused21 wrote:
Also, I scored 520, 530, 540 (each 2 weeks apart) and then I scored 590 on my fourth CAT but for some reason its not loading for the percentile info so here are my first 3 CATs

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
I have been studying for the past 4 months, 2-3 hours a day on weekdays and then usually take Fridays off. I take practice exams on Saturdays or Sundays and I usually spend 4-5 hours a day Saturday and Sunday studying if I'm not taking the practice exam and adding to my error log. (My Sherpa GMAT class is usually tuesdays and every other sunday for 3.5 hrs each)
2) What study materials have you used so far? Official GMAT Guide 2019, Official GMAT Verbal Guide 2019, Official GMAT Math Guide 2019, Sherpa GMAT Class packets, Magoosh GMAT App

3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
Q/V Scaled Score/Q/V Est Percentile
CAT 1: Q: 32/22% V: 30/59%
CAT 2: Q: 36/31% V: 27/47%
CAT 3: Q: 37/34% V: 28/52%

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?680-700
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT? As soon as I get the desired score
6)When are you planning to apply to Business School? I don't plan to apply for business school until 2021 but I would like to get the GMAT done as soon as possible as I am trying to apply for Management Leaders of Tomorrow Prep Program by August 2019 which requires a 500 min GMAT score but if you don't score well above that I believe you have to pay for a GMAT course on your own in addition to strengthening your application within the program. (You apply to the program at least a year prior to applying to business school as the program is a year long process from my knowledge)
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
I'm interested in Consortium schools, ideally a top 10 (Interested in MBB.)

Rich

Did you do a thorough analysis of the mocks that you took? Maybe there's a pattern where you are going wrong? Analyse them and make an error log. I know it sounds boring but you will see a jump in your score. Since you won't be applying for business schools until 2021, you have ample time but don't push your preparation for too long. And it only makes sense to start with the mocks once you attain a decent accuracy on the questions. How many of them are you getting wrong? Where are you going wrong? These are some of the questions you will need to find the answers to. Don't waste your good mocks!
If possible go for an online course. You'll find reviews on this forum. It will provide structure to your studies. Maybe you are getting the concepts but you fail to apply them?
GMAT Club Bot