Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Re: Often major economic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable [#permalink]
GMATNinja generis AjiteshArun

Can someone please tell the meaning when 'so as to' is used in (A). Everyone has commented on the idiom usage and that (A) is correct because the idiom is correct. My question is regarding the meaning.

Often major economic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first from ordinary fluctuations in the financial markets.

Does 'as to be' mean 'that they are' ? Doesn't 'as to be' give an 'intention' or sort of feeling that the economic shifts are he doer of this gradual shifts so as to indistinguishable ?

Will appreciate expert opinion on this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Often major economic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable [#permalink]
Hi AjiteshArun GMATNinja
Quote:
Often major economic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable at first from ordinary fluctuations in the financial markets.

(A) so gradual as to be indistinguishable
(B) so gradual they can be indistinguishable
(C) so gradual that they are unable to be distinguished
(D) gradual enough not to be distinguishable
(E) gradual enough so that one cannot distinguish them

I have a meaning problem with this question,

"A" seems to be saying that "Economic Shifts are trying to be indistinguishable from X", I think rather the sentence should state it as a fact that economic shifts are indistinguishable rather than show an intention to be indistinguishable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma GMATNinja EducationAisle

A lot of explanations here mentioned option B is wrong for the reason that so X so Y is not correct idiom but option B does not contain second 'so', where is this second 'so' coming from? am I missing here anything?

Cause this is what option B says
Quote:
so gradual they can be indistinguishable
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
Quote:

Interesting Rohit. I googled this question and some websites mention that following is what option B looks like:

Quote:
(B) so gradual so that they can be indistinguishable
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
RohitSaluja wrote:
Quote:

Interesting Rohit. I googled this question and some websites mention that following is what option B looks like:

Quote:
(B) so gradual so that they can be indistinguishable

Hi EducationAisle, pleaser refer to the attached image, I have taken this from OG2020 edition, my question is why is B incorrect in this one?
Attachments

SC1.PNG
SC1.PNG [ 190.68 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
Hi EducationAisle, pleaser refer to the attached image, I have taken this from OG2020 edition, my question is why is B incorrect in this one?

At the very east, isn't a that missing in B?

...so...that...

Also, can you let us know what the Official explanation for B is?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
RohitSaluja wrote:

At the very east, isn't a that missing in B?

...so...that...

Also, can you let us know what the Official explanation for B is?

Hi EducationAisle, attached is the OG explanation. To be honest it didn't make a lot of sense to me.
Attachments

Solution.PNG
Solution.PNG [ 322.15 KiB | Viewed 2599 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
I was not able to rule out B here. I know the preferred idiom is "so x as to y", but I thought B was less redundant. I got reminded of the following question:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/an-array-of- ... 56809.html

"An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of new office buildings; so abundant has capital been for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build."

Why can't we look at B as using "so" in a similar reading, like an intensifier?

"They are so gradual they can be indistinguishable at first...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
Send PM
GMATNinja Please help. Why isn't D better than A? And is this the only question where "so as to" is considered correct by GMAT?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Often major economic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
This question tests two things: our familiarity with the so [ADJECTIVE] as to [PLAIN FORM] idiom, and our ability to remove options that have preference/meaning errors.

A. Although so as to... (definition 4) is typically used to communicate intention, the so [ADJECTIVE] as to [PLAIN FORM] (definition 1b) in this option is more like a "so that" or ~"with the result that" (~the outcome of something).

economic shifts are so gradual as to be indistinguishable from ordinary fluctuations ~ economic shifts are so gradual that they are indistinguishable from ordinary fluctuations

Here's another official question that does the same thing:
... the features of which are so unrealistic as to constitute... an "artificial face."

This can be read as "the features are so unrealistic that they constitute an 'artificial face'".

B. Option B is not grammatically incorrect, but there are two reasons to take it out: (a) the GMAT prefers to use a that in so... that and (b) can is not necessary here because the sentence anyway starts with often. That is, given the intended meaning of this sentence, "often, they are X" is better than "often, they can be X".

C. "They are unable to be" is not a very good way of saying "they cannot be" or "they are in-", and attaches some kind of ability/inability to economic shifts, which is unexpected (the shifts are able or unable to do something?).

D. "Not to be distinguishable" is not as good as "indistinguishable". Also, enough to be is typically used when someone or something meets (or does not meet) some required standard or mark. For example: the vaccine was safe enough to be approved or the vaccine was not safe enough to be approved. It seems strange to make to be distinguishable the result of some standard for major economic shifts.

E. This option has the same problem as D, and gradual enough so that would almost certainly be considered unidiomatic on the GMAT.

AjiteshArun
Sir i still have doubt in option C
isn't this sentence trying to say that economic shifts are unable to be distinguished by someone ,as it is in passive construction so action of unable to be distinguished done by someone so how can we say that shifts kind of lacks ability to distinguished.
please correct me
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
I was between A and B, and I finally chose B.
a. There is an idiom there. So … as to … This option is shorter than option b and overall looks fine. (I did not see the idiom though)
b. The problem with option “b”, has nothing to do with grammar. The problem is with the meaning. The word “Can” changes everything because we are not talking about that the graduality of economic shifts has the possibility of making the economic changes indistinguishable. The intended meaning is that they are actually indistinguishable.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
davro wrote:
I was between A and B, and I finally chose B.
a. There is an idiom there. So … as to … This option is shorter than option b and overall looks fine. (I did not see the idiom though)
b. The problem with option “b”, has nothing to do with grammar. The problem is with the meaning. The word “Can” changes everything because we are not talking about that the graduality of economic shifts has the possibility of making the economic changes indistinguishable. The intended meaning is that they are actually indistinguishable.

Hello davro,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the error in Option B is better described as an idiom error; it incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “so + cause (“gradual”) + effect (“be indistinguishable”)”, rather than one of the idiomatic constructions “so + cause + as to + effect” or “so + cause + that + effect”; please remember, “so + cause + that + effect” or “so + cause + as to + effect” are some of the preferred constructions for conveying a cause-effect relationship.

To understand the use of "So As To" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
study wrote:

SC87460.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

Concepts tested here: Idioms + Redundancy/Awkwardness

• “enough + to” is a correct, idiomatic usage; besides, “enough” is used to show “adequacy” and generally not used to show a cause-effect relationship; rather, “so + cause + that + effect” or “so + cause + as to + effect” are some of the preferred constructions for conveying a cause-effect relationship.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the idiomatic construction “so + cause (“gradual”) + as to + effect (“be indistinguishable”)”. Further, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “so + cause (“gradual”) + effect (“be indistinguishable”)”, rather than one of the idiomatic constructions “so + cause + as to + effect” or “so + cause + that + effect”; please remember, “so + cause + that + effect” or “so + cause + as to + effect” are some of the preferred constructions for conveying a cause-effect relationship.

C: Trap. This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrase “they are unable to be distinguished”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice uses an awkward phrase “enough not to be distinguishable”; “enough” is used to show “adequacy” and generally not used to show a cause-effect relationship. We have a better answer choice in A.

E: This answer choice uses the unidiomatic construction “cause (“gradual”) + enough + so that + effect (“one cannot distinguish them”)”, rather than one of the idiomatic constructions “so + cause + as to + effect” and “so + cause + that + effect”; please remember, “enough” is used to show “adequacy” and generally not used to show a cause-effect relationship; rather, “so + cause + that + effect” or “so + cause + as to + effect” are some of the preferred constructions for conveying a cause-effect relationship.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "So As To" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hi Expert, I cannot understand your reply about choice A compared to the reply provided in that similar question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/technically- ... 68593.html

What actually makes one choice correct and one incorrect in the usage of so...as?

Regards.
Quote:

Request Experts Reply:
Can we write like something below, please?
**Often major economic shifts are so gradual that they can't be distinguished at first from ordinary fluctuations in the financial markets.

Thanks__
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 610 Q40 V34
study wrote:

SC87460.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

I'm afraid to say that this question is another weird SC question that doesn't make any sense no matter how hard I look at it. yes we can rely on idioms but relying on idioms has never appealed to me.
the intended meaning behind this sentence is " there are major economic shifts that when they happen, appear indistinguishable from ordinary fluctuations" not a single option conveys this message in a clear way.
it's not clear if the action of being "indistinguishable" is on purpose, or it happens as a result.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
joe123x wrote:
study wrote:

SC87460.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

I'm afraid to say that this question is another weird SC question that doesn't make any sense no matter how hard I look at it. yes we can rely on idioms but relying on idioms has never appealed to me.
the intended meaning behind this sentence is " there are major economic shifts that when they happen, appear indistinguishable from ordinary fluctuations" not a single option conveys this message in a clear way.
it's not clear if the action of being "indistinguishable" is on purpose, or it happens as a result.

Hello joe123x,

We hope this finds you well.

One important point to keep in mind on GMAT sentence correction is that you need to look for the "best" answer choice, not a hypothetical "perfect" answer choice. You may feel that all five answer choices convey the intended meaning poorly, but unless any of them are outright incorrect, that is immaterial.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 610 Q40 V35
Send PM
study wrote:

SC87460.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

For the split between A and C.

While the reasons mentioned above by many other experts as to why option C does not work are right. I also wanted to add that when we compare items in any form such as - not A but Y / so X as Y / so X that Y - we should compare the same parts of speech. In this question, so GRADUAL is an adjective and should hence have an adjective on the compared side as well. In option C, this symmetry is broken by adding a clause after "that".

Can any expert please weigh in and let me know of my understanding is correct?
KarishmaB AndrewN CrackVerbal
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts