Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Strengthenx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and thus do not [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
mk96 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

Can you please help me understand what this means "Many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle"

What do we mean by "not to involve any fracture of the ankle" in the above? I think I am having problem in comprehending this.

“Not to involve any fracture of the ankle” means that the ankle is not fractured. In other words, (B) describes an x-ray that reveals the ankle is not fractured after all and thus something else must be the source of the injury.

I hope that helps a bit!

Thanks- I get it but isn't this an odd construction (have bolded to display meaning more clearly), i.e. many ankle injuries are revealed by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle. I think it should have been many ankle injuries revealed by the x-ray do not involve any fracture of the ankle
Many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle

Share any final thoughts please. Why is this construction so convoluted?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and thus do not [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mk96 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
mk96 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

Can you please help me understand what this means "Many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle"

What do we mean by "not to involve any fracture of the ankle" in the above? I think I am having problem in comprehending this.

“Not to involve any fracture of the ankle” means that the ankle is not fractured. In other words, (B) describes an x-ray that reveals the ankle is not fractured after all and thus something else must be the source of the injury.

I hope that helps a bit!

Thanks- I get it but isn't this an odd construction (have bolded to display meaning more clearly), i.e. many ankle injuries are revealed by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle. I think it should have been many ankle injuries revealed by the x-ray do not involve any fracture of the ankle
Many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle

Share any final thoughts please. Why is this construction so convoluted?

(B) lays out a clear sequence of events:

1) An ankle is injured
    2) An initial x-ray is ordered
    3) That x-ray reveals the injury not to involve an ankle fracture.

Is there another way to phrase this sequence of events? Sure -- there are almost unlimited ways to express information in written English.

Luckily, to correctly answer a CR question you don't need to assess whether an answer choice is written in the simplest possible way. Instead, just read the answer choice carefully and see whether it can be eliminated. Perhaps simplicity comes into play on SC, but it's not worth your time to worry about alternate phrasing of CR answer choices.

I hope that helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and thus do not require surgery, are given follow-up x-rays because their orthopedists are concerned about possibly having misjudged the stability of the fracture. When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have healed correctly. Therefore, it is a waste of money to order follow-up x-rays of ankle fractures initially judged stable.

P : stable ankle fractures -> follow-up x-rays
P : All judgemenets were correct
C : follow-up x-rays is waste of money.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. Doctors who are general practitioners rather than orthopedists are less likely than orthopedists to judge the stability of an ankle fracture correctly.
-> The argument is talking about orthopedists, not general practitioners.

B. Many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle.
-> Ordinarily, most cases in which x-ray are done will not show up any fracture of the ankle. However, this argument is only concentrating in the cases that fracture of the ankle virtually exists.

C. X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists working in several hospitals were reviewed.
-> Correct. While the argument has mentioned a strong term "all", decreasing viability of the conclusion, this information provides that sampling was not small and we can trust the conclusion.

D. The healing of ankle fractures that have been surgically repaired is always checked by means of a follow-up x-ray.
-> Irrelevant. The conclusion is stating that such a follow-up x-ray is not necessary. Moreover, the conclusion is not talking about ankle fractures that need surgical repair.

E. Orthopedists routinely order follow-up x-rays for fractures of bones other than ankle bones.
-> Irrelevant. The argument is only concerned with the fracture of ankle bones not other bones.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Quote:
From the argument's context, we know that we are talking about ankle x rays (or at least x rays including ankle x rays)

Argument: When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have healed correctly.

Before this, we talk about ankle fractures and the conclusion is based on this.

So when option (C) says "X-rays ... were reviewed", it does imply that we are talking about the x-rays reviewed above which are ankle x-rays.

Hi KarishmaB,
Thanks for all you do :please:
I am struggling with one thing here: In strengthening questions, we generally strengthen the logical leap from Premise to conclusion, but can we strengthen a premise?

Here, by saying that ''X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists working in several hospitals were reviewed'' are not we boosting the premise? Boosting by saying that, premise is correct?

Premise": all the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have healed correctly
Conclusion: it is a waste of money to order follow-up x-rays of ankle fracture initially judged stable.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashutosh_73 wrote:
Quote:
From the argument's context, we know that we are talking about ankle x rays (or at least x rays including ankle x rays)

Argument: When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have healed correctly.

So when option (C) says "X-rays ... were reviewed", it does imply that we are talking about the x-rays reviewed above which are ankle x-rays.

Hi KarishmaB,
I am struggling with one thing here: In strengthening questions, we generally strengthen the logical leap from Premise to conclusion, but can we strengthen a premise?

Here, by saying that ''X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists working in several hospitals were reviewed'' are not we boosting the premise? Boosting by saying that, premise is correct?

Premise": all the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have healed correctly
Conclusion: it is a waste of money to order follow-up x-rays of ankle fracture initially judged stable.

Premises are facts. We cannot "strengthen" a premise. It is already established and needs no strengthening.
That said, when we have a study and we conclude something from its result, we do not need to take its result to be true in all cases. We can strengthen or weaken the result of the study.

For example, if we are given as a premise: Pigeons are vengeful.
Then that's it. Saying that a pigeon I tried to shoo away attacked me is not going to strengthen it. We have already established that they are vengeful.

On the other hand, if we are given that a study found that pigeons are vengeful, it doesn't mean that all pigeons are certainly vengeful. We could weaken the result of the study by claiming that the participating pigeons all belonged to an area with low resources or we can strengthen it by saying that the study observed pigeons in many different areas.

Similarly, here we have a study: "When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have healed correctly."
Based on this observation, we are concluding something. I can strengthen or weaken the result of this observation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
ashutosh_73 wrote:
Quote:

Hi KarishmaB,

Premises are facts. We cannot "strengthen" a premise. It is already established and needs no strengthening.
That said, when we have a study and we conclude something from its result, we do not need to take its result to be true in all cases. We can strengthen or weaken the result of the study.

For example, if we are given as a premise: Pigeons are vengeful.
Then that's it. Saying that a pigeon I tried to shoo away attacked me is not going to strengthen it. We have already established that they are vengeful.

On the other hand, if we are given that a study found that pigeons are vengeful, it doesn't mean that all pigeons are certainly vengeful. We could weaken the result of the study by claiming that the participating pigeons all belonged to an area with low resources or we can strengthen it by saying that the study observed pigeons in many different areas.

Similarly, here we have a study: "When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have healed correctly."
Based on this observation, we are concluding something. I can strengthen or weaken the result of this observation.

Hi KarishmaB,

I appreciate the detailed explanation. I just came across a question that works on similar lines.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-magno-bl ... 69975.html

As you suggested: whenever a conclusion is drawn on the basis of a study/experiment, do we actually know whether the study/experiment is TRUE?
No, we do not know that. The author assumes it to to be TRUE. Hence, we can strengthen/weaken the argument by pointing out that study was perfect/flawed.

Thanks :please: The above explanation makes much sense now.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts