Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [12]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: OG 13 contains only 5 Hard Questions [GMAT Club Analysis] [#permalink]
Kudos
bb wrote:
gmathopeful25 wrote:
bb wrote:

Official Guide 13 contains only 5 Hard Questions

it is just not as helpful for the top 10% and definitely not representative of the test question experience to be encountered.

It depends on how you define top 10%. If you mean quant 50-51 than maybe you're right. But if you just define top 10% as being 700+ I would disagree. Some people will get scores like q45 (66 percentile) V45 (99 percentile) and get a 730 GMAT (96 percentile overall). A lot of people will get Q49 (81 percentile) or lower on quant and still get 700+ overall. And what constitutes a "hard" problem in verbal is fairly subjective. GMAC rarely asks questions where 25% or less of the test takers get it right. I doesn't do any good for them to ask questions that everyone gets wrong. Just my opinion.

I want to add that I think GMAT prep questions are by far the best practice.

As to difficulty, it is very easy to tell difficulty of a question once you have a sample of attempts along with the time it has taken to answer a certain question, so it may not be obvious to you but it is pretty clear to someone with data which verbal question is harder than the other.

This has nothing to do with whether or not a question is hard for a specific person. This is why I was saying it is subjective for a person. Whether a question is difficult for a person depends on their own abilities and talents. For some people quant 51 problems are easy, but v40 questions are hard.

The percent's quoted above are from GMAT CR Bible page 96. I was slightly off on the 25% it says "...The problem is answered correctly by about 45% of test takers and is classified as difficult (the hardest GMAT questions have success rates under 20%. Fortunately, questions this difficult appear infrequently.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
I wouldn't agree with saying it's not helpful to the top 10%. This reminds me of critical reasoning's survey error? Biased samples? Insufficient samples? Perhaps false premise or needed an alternative premise to support the conclusion?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nyu2014 wrote:
I wouldn't agree with saying it's not helpful to the top 10%. This reminds me of critical reasoning's survey error? Biased samples? Insufficient samples? Perhaps false premise or needed an alternative premise to support the conclusion?

I am very open to suggestions or alternative data/input. However, you need to say WHY you do not agree and what specific items that you are referring to. I can't really comment on your post at this time.

You are on your cell phone so take a look at the data when you have time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
BB, quick question... Were OG12 guide categorization of the questions subjected to same analysis I.e user response on timed questions

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
samurai777 wrote:
BB, quick question... Were OG12 guide categorization of the questions subjected to same analysis I.e user response on timed questions

We have not done OG 12 yet - I will be happy to do it next week.
I am collecting input about suggestion to improve methodology/approach before I do it, so welcome any critique or improvement recommendations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
It shocking the first time I took a GMAT Prep after having finished OG, so I'm not surprised by this. Here's what I find really interesting about this: ten years ago, this situation was probably the same, so people probably didn't realize that you had to study much more complex problems than what's in the OG to do very well. Now, everyone who uses the internet is going to find this site and its peers and realize that you do have to study those problems, and therefore, this is contributing to the shifting percentiles.

Originally posted by geometric on 18 Oct 2013, 15:21.
Last edited by geometric on 06 Nov 2013, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: MBA, Finance, 2009
Schools:UCLA Anderson
Send PM
What was your method for arriving at the number in the "Percentiles" column?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:

We have just conducted analysis of all OG 13 questions (published an update to our Guide to the OG here) and to our surprise (though not shock) we have determined that the OG contains only 5 Hard questions.

Also, as you will notice, the questions are not really arranged by difficulty either.

Conclusion: If you are planning/hoping/wanting to score 700+ on the GMAT, you need to be able to ace the OG. If you are having difficulties covering questions in under 2 minutes, you are at 650 level. Also, if you are aiming for 700+ level, you should expect questions that will be harder, tougher, and trickier.

Does it mean OG 13 is bad? Not really... it is just not as helpful for the top 10% and definitely not representative of the test question experience to be encountered.

How we did it:
  1. We have used the timer results based on the GMAT Club member performance and analyzed every question in the OG 13
  2. We have looked at the diagnostic test, DS, PS, CR, and SC.
  3. We did not analyze the RC questions since we do not time them
  4. In the latest OG 13 Guide file will also find the percentile each question is ranked by as well as the difficulty we assigned to it (easy, medium, or hard).

WOW, that is one bold statement. Still, it doesn't undermine the fact that OG is the best available material to ace the GMAT.
I don't agree 100% with the analysis. My assumption is, people come to GMATClub for more practice questions only after solving the most of OG questions.
Don't you think the responses are unreflective? At least in my case they are, as all the OG questions I solved in GMAClub are done before.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
bb wrote:

it is just not as helpful for the top 10% and definitely not representative of the test question experience to be encountered.

It depends on how you define top 10%. If you mean quant 50-51 than maybe you're right. But if you just define top 10% as being 700+ I would disagree. Some people will get scores like q45 (66 percentile) V45 (99 percentile) and get a 730 GMAT (96 percentile overall). A lot of people will get Q49 (81 percentile) or lower on quant and still get 700+ overall. And what constitutes a "hard" problem in verbal is fairly subjective. GMAC rarely asks questions where 25% or less of the test takers get it right. I doesn't do any good for them to ask questions that everyone gets wrong. Just my opinion.

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
tk1tez7777 wrote:
bb wrote:

We have just conducted analysis of all OG 13 questions (published an update to our Guide to the OG here) and to our surprise (though not shock) we have determined that the OG contains only 5 Hard questions.

Also, as you will notice, the questions are not really arranged by difficulty either.

Conclusion: If you are planning/hoping/wanting to score 700+ on the GMAT, you need to be able to ace the OG. If you are having difficulties covering questions in under 2 minutes, you are at 650 level. Also, if you are aiming for 700+ level, you should expect questions that will be harder, tougher, and trickier.

Does it mean OG 13 is bad? Not really... it is just not as helpful for the top 10% and definitely not representative of the test question experience to be encountered.

How we did it:
  1. We have used the timer results based on the GMAT Club member performance and analyzed every question in the OG 13
  2. We have looked at the diagnostic test, DS, PS, CR, and SC.
  3. We did not analyze the RC questions since we do not time them
  4. In the latest OG 13 Guide file will also find the percentile each question is ranked by as well as the difficulty we assigned to it (easy, medium, or hard).

Hi BB,

Thanks for good analysis. However, I want to put my point of view on this. Most of the students when they come to the forum they have already gone through the OG and hence they are mostly aware of the answers and explanations. That is why most of the students will answer those question under 2 minutes and accurately. However, if you were to conduct the results from 100 such students who have never done OG question, I am quite sure that the results will be different.

Thanks

Thank you for your input and thoughtful reply - that's a valid take and it is possible that the data is contaminated this way - there is no way to prove it one way or another.
My argument would be... why are they taking questions already attempted? I can remember the answers to pretty much all of the questions I have taken (perhaps that's me) but I would not take questions I have already done. That was my experience and I could see someone taking a question they vaguely remember but I am not sure someone wants to time themselves on that one... it is quite possible but it is not clear to what extent.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
pmikki wrote:

WOW, that is one bold statement. Still, it doesn't undermine the fact that OG is the best available material to ace the GMAT.
I don't agree 100% with the analysis. My assumption is, people come to GMATClub for more practice questions only after solving the most of OG questions.
Don't you think the responses are unreflective? At least in my case they are, as all the OG questions I solved in GMAClub are done before.

Agree :-) Very bold statement (probably too bold for me actually but it is an experiment to see if we can provoke some creative thinking/argumentation to prove me wrong :lol: ).
No doubt - OG 13 and GMAT Prep software are the best sources of the official questions.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmathopeful25 wrote:
bb wrote:

Thank you for your input. All of it is very straightforward. By the top 10th percentile, I mean anyone with 90th percentile or above on the GMAT.
As to difficulty, it is very easy to tell difficulty of a question once you have a sample of attempts along with the time it has taken to answer a certain question, so it may not be obvious to you but it is pretty clear to someone with data which verbal question is harder than the other.

Now for the stats that you have provided, did you come up with it or that's actually an official quote? 25% of questions? I would be very curious. That's contrary to my GMAT experience where I got hit with a Combinations question as well as contrary to my GMAT Prep experience where I got hit by a few hard ones that I have never seen before anywhere.... GMAC does need hard questions.... it gets pretty tricky with high scorers.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
pmikki wrote:

Question for you - do you think the same would apply to GMAT Prep questions? Meaning, GMAT prep questions would be generally having a lower difficulty reading due to many people going through the software before visiting the question on the forum?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheGmatTutor wrote:
What was your method for arriving at the number in the "Percentiles" column?

It is an algorithm that combines the number of correct/incorrect answers, total number of answers, and time taken for correct/incorrect answer.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
pmikki wrote:
bb wrote:
pmikki wrote:

Question for you - do you think the same would apply to GMAT Prep questions? Meaning, GMAT prep questions would be generally having a lower difficulty reading due to many people going through the software before visiting the question on the forum?

I would say "in general", it is applicable even for the GMATPrep. Again, it was just my experience.
You may want to consider the scenario that not everyone who uses OG also uses GMATPrep for the preparation, especially someone who is targeting just around 600.

I am just trying to get to the bottom of the this issue and see if we can find the same correlation in GMAT Prep (e.g. most questions are rated easy or if there are truly hard questions that are indeed rated hard even though users have seen them). I don't think it will be the same as the OG, since GMAT Prep questions are much harder to fish out/find/discover.

However, I know for sure there is a number of them on the hardest question list here, #4 for example.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmathopeful25 wrote:

This has nothing to do with whether or not a question is hard for a specific person. This is why I was saying it is subjective for a person. Whether a question is difficult for a person depends on their own abilities and talents. For some people quant 51 problems are easy, but v40 questions are hard.

The percent's quoted above are from GMAT CR Bible page 96. I was slightly off on the 25% it says "...The problem is answered correctly by about 45% of test takers and is classified as difficult (the hardest GMAT questions have success rates under 20%. Fortunately, questions this difficult appear infrequently.)

Thank you! Thats pretty interesting. I wonder where PowerScore got that stats.
I think they are missing the picture a bit since almost ANYONE can crack even the hardest question with an unlimited amount of time. The trick here is to know how long it takes an average person to answer the question correctly and also incorrectly, which actually I think the incorrect side of the answer, compensates for any contamination of the results by the re-takers. (I will check this with the developers who can look up the algorithm in the code) - thank you for helping me stumble on this!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
pmikki wrote:
bb wrote:
pmikki wrote:

I would say "in general", it is applicable even for the GMATPrep. Again, it was just my experience.
You may want to consider the scenario that not everyone who uses OG also uses GMATPrep for the preparation, especially someone who is targeting just around 600.

I am just trying to get to the bottom of the this issue and see if we can find the same correlation in GMAT Prep (e.g. most questions are rated easy or if there are truly hard questions that are indeed rated hard even though users have seen them). I don't think it will be the same as the OG, since GMAT Prep questions are much harder to fish out/find/discover.

However, I know for sure there is a number of them on the hardest question list here, #4 for example.

Wait, are we talking just the Quant section. If yes, I agree that there aren't lot of tough questions in OG and I would agree with your analysis.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2