GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 14:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG 2016: Jacob Burckhardt’s view that Renaissance European women

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Re: OG 2016: Jacob Burckhardt’s view that Renaissance European women [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 13:18
Hi oasis90, thanks for the message.

When you get a question about the purpose of a particular sentence or reference in the passage, the answer is basically to prove a point that the author was in the middle of proving.
So we can ask, what point was the author in the middle of proving? Generally, this can be the main point/argument of the entire passage, the main point/argument of the paragraph, or even a mini-point that was raised one or two sentences before the sentence/reference in question.

In our case here, we find our evidence in the sentence before the reference: "is representative of those authors who offer what might be called a cautiously optimistic assessment of Renaissance women’s achievements". Boom, there we go. The author is just giving us some information that she thinks will help illustrate why Krontiris can be judged as cautiously optimistic.

(I'm not sure if I understand your question about the word achievements in the answer choice. It's the exact same word as the passage used. Here we could think about achievements representing progress or what they were able to get done, and not like winning an award, for example.)

Answer B is really out of scope. It says "undermine the argument that literate women of the Renaissance sought to oppose social constraints imposed on them." Is the author trying to undermine any argument? No. And was anyone, before this sentence, bringing up anything about women opposing the social constraints imposed on them? No.

When you get a "what's the purpose of including this information" question, say to yourself, "to prove a point the author was in the middle of proving." See if that helps you eliminate wrong answer choices faster. :)

Independent GMAT Coach with students on 6 continents

Personal 99th percentile score (770). Based in Berlin and previously in Paris, ich spreche auch deutsch/je parle aussi français.
With five years' experience, I am expert in coaching non-native speakers to outstanding performance.

Visit my University Tutor profile

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HBS '18
WE: Consulting (Other)
OG 2016: Jacob Burckhardt’s view that Renaissance European women [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 13:34
jennpt wrote:
Hi oasis90, thanks for the message.

When you get a question about the purpose of a particular sentence or reference in the passage, the answer is basically to prove a point that the author was in the middle of proving.
So we can ask, what point was the author in the middle of proving? Generally, this can be the main point/argument of the entire passage, the main point/argument of the paragraph, or even a mini-point that was raised one or two sentences before the sentence/reference in question.

In our case here, we find our evidence in the sentence before the reference: "is representative of those authors who offer what might be called a cautiously optimistic assessment of Renaissance women’s achievements". Boom, there we go. The author is just giving us some information that she thinks will help illustrate why Krontiris can be judged as cautiously optimistic.

(I'm not sure if I understand your question about the word achievements in the answer choice. It's the exact same word as the passage used. Here we could think about achievements representing progress or what they were able to get done, and not like winning an award, for example.)

Answer B is really out of scope. It says "undermine the argument that literate women of the Renaissance sought to oppose social constraints imposed on them." Is the author trying to undermine any argument? No. And was anyone, before this sentence, bringing up anything about women opposing the social constraints imposed on them? No.

When you get a "what's the purpose of including this information" question, say to yourself, "to prove a point the author was in the middle of proving." See if that helps you eliminate wrong answer choices faster. :)

Great thanks jennpt . This makes perfect sense. I will incorporate this logic in my next passage.

Migatte no Gokui

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: OG 2016: Jacob Burckhardt’s view that Renaissance European women [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 05:09
Jaco “stood on a footing of perfect equality”

Can anyone reply the meaning of above sentence

--If you like my post pls give kudos

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HBS '18
WE: Consulting (Other)

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 10:27
tejyr wrote:
Jaco “stood on a footing of perfect equality”

Can anyone reply the meaning of above sentence

It simply means they were equal. and the feminist scholars cited him to disagree with him. It's weird wording but that's what it meant.

Migatte no Gokui

Re: OG 2016: Jacob Burckhardt’s view that Renaissance European women   [#permalink] 31 May 2018, 10:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

OG 2016: Jacob Burckhardt’s view that Renaissance European women

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap