Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Bold Face CRx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '20
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 916 [1]
Given Kudos: 911
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have [#permalink]
Hi,

If i can de clutter the argument

Investors are relieved
Why? how did they arrive at this situation
because CEO's of banks are buying stocks in their own bank,
and
they believe that "since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundnes"
So the 'rumors that bank is in bad health must be false" ( Intermediate Conclusion)
hence investors are relived

Such a reasoning is might be overoptimistic, ( THE MAIN CONCLUSION OF THE ARGUMENT)
because corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health. ( other aspect of CEO's move to overcome something )

Option A
The first describes evidence (Yes BF-1 describes a evidence) that has been taken as supporting a conclusion (Which supports a intermediate conclusion that rumors are false ) ; the second gives a reason for questioning that support. Second BF questions BF-1 where by it questions supports given for the conclusion arrived at by investors that rumors about banks financial health must be false.

Hope this helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Re: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear AjiteshArun,

I would like to seek your view on how to avoid traps in choice D. confidently.

(D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

The second part does in a way explain the circumstance depicted in the first. Also, the explanation can contain some uncertainty. This is consistent with "might" in the main conclusion in the passage.

When I see choice D., I am really not sure how to reject choice D. on solid grounds.

Please help :please :please :please
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear AjiteshArun,

I would like to seek your view on how to avoid traps in choice D. confidently.

(D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

The second part does in a way explain the circumstance depicted in the first. Also, the explanation can contain some uncertainty. This is consistent with "might" in the main conclusion in the passage.

When I see choice D., I am really not sure how to reject choice D. on solid grounds.

Please help :please :please :please
Hi varotkorn,

The second boldfaced portion is not really the explanation for the first boldfaced portion. Look at it this way:
(a) Present: several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank
(b) Past: corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health

We can't say that the entire boldfaced portion in (b) explains the boldfaced portion in (a). That is, we can't say (b), therefore (a).

Also, as you pointed out, the possible explanation that is contained in the second boldfaced portion is not some one "true" explanation that the argument tries to establish. Instead, the argument takes the position that the reasoning of the depositors might be overoptimistic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
The second boldface sounds only like a reasoning. Hence A.

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
perfectstranger wrote:
Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced-impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.

(B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.

(C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.

(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 253: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Similar question: LINK

I have attempted this question thrice in a span of 7 months ans always got it wrong.

My understanding is that Author is countering the depositors reasoning by giving his own explanation. I right understood that author's conclusion is that depositors must be wrong and they have an over optimistic reasoning.

In my last two attempts(both attempted in a very short difference of time so my understanding is more or less similar) i marked D(2nd attempt) and E(3rd attempt). In both the options i was little skeptical of the first part and strongly favored E over D for second art, but went ahead with them since i had immediately rejected A and B.

On re-looking the options A & B and analyzing my understanding i see that i misunderstood the part of 'a conclusion' to author's conclusion.
So, my question is .. Can i say that whenever 'a conclusion' appears in an option it is for intermediate conclusion or some conclusion other than author's??
And for author 'the conclusion' would be used

Am i correct in saying that.??
VeritasKarishma wrote:
betterscore wrote:
Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.
(B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.
(C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.
(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

As for (D), I don't think it makes much sense to me at all.

Let's look at it in detail:

The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain - the entire argument is explaining a circumstance. The first bold statement itself is not doing it. It only explains why people are relieved - the conclusion which the argument questions.

the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish. - the explanation that the argument would establish would be the conclusion endorsed by the argument. The second statement is a premise, not a conclusion endorsed by the argument.

VeritasKarishma
Hello mam,
Does it mean that ''Author will establish something by his/her conclusion NOT by premise?"
VeritasKarishma wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Folks,

People are accepting that conclusion is :Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic
Then how A,B,C could be answers.

Plz anyone can elaborate reasoning behind A if the above mentioned is the conclusion.

Rgds,
Saurabh

There are two different conclusions here:

A conclusion: Depositors are relieved - belief of people in general
The argument gives the reasons they are relieved.

Main conclusion of the argument - this is the author's belief - 'Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic'
The author gives the reasons why this reasoning may be overoptimisitic.

(A) states 'The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion'
It doesn't say that it supports the 'main conclusion'.

So, can we conclude that if the answer option does not explicitly say that it is the ''main conclusion'', we will take it as common views/general people's ''conclusion'', right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Correct. The first boldfaced portion is the evidence that is used by the shareholders to support their conclusion that the bank execs are buying shares BECAUSE they think the company is sound. The second boldface gives an alternate explanation for why they are buying shares prove that the bank execs buying shares may not actually support the shareholders conclusion.

Wrong. The first boldface does indeed provide evidence that supports the shareholders' conclusion, but the second boldface is not a contrary conclusion, it is simply a reason that the sharehoders might be wrong in thinking that the buyback of shares proves the soundness of the company.

Wrong. The first boldface is evidence in support of what the shareholders think, not the author. Additionally, the second boldface is not the conclusion, it is simply an alternate explanation for why they are buying shares. The author's conclusion is: "Such reasoning (execs buyback shares = financial soundness) might well be overoptimistic.

Wrong. The first boldface is not a circumstance that the argument is trying to explain, instead, it is evidence in support for the conclusion of the shareholders. Also, the second boldface is an alternate explanation, but it is not the argument that is being established. The argument that is being established is the author's conclusion. If anything, it is evidence for the author's conclusion that the shareholders may be wrong.

Wrong. The first boldface is not a circumstance that the argument tries to explain (see D explanation for more info). The second boldface is not evidence, it is simply an alternate explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I thought (D) was correct.
Because the main conclusion is "Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic" and 2nd boldface is a support for this conclusion.
Why (D) is incorrect?
I can't understand why 1st one is "evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion".
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
aoi0609 wrote:
I thought (D) was correct.
Because the main conclusion is "Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic" and 2nd boldface is a support for this conclusion.
Why (D) is incorrect?
I can't understand why 1st one is "evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion".

Take a look at this post for a breakdown of the passage and explanation of (D), and let us know whether that clears it up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
karna2129 wrote:
I am Never Good at these type of CR. Please help me with some Document on these.

I marked (D) and Guess I was completely wrong with this one.

I assume you are having trouble with bold face questions. Here are a couple of posts on these that might help you:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/03 ... -the-gmat/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/01 ... questions/

For the solution of this question, check: https://gmatclub.com/forum/since-it-has- ... l#p1112808

Hi Karishma,
I read the article posted here- https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/03 ... -the-gmat/
I have a query on this. Don't we just focus on the text provided in the argument and do not bring outside knowledge. So, here thinking that 'that one must have five years of work experience and a 90th percentile GMAT score'(from the passage) is not enough kind of contradicts the whole 'not bring the outside knowledge' thing. Please clarify on this.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
perfectstranger wrote:
Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health.

First is the conclusion for which arguments are presented but the second opposes the argument. So, the answer is A.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM

To begin, start by identifying the two main conclusions present in the argument. That will make life easier.

Conclusion 1: The worrisome rumours, from the perspective of the bank's depositors, must be false.
Conclusion 2: Bank depositor's reasoning might well be overly optimistic.

Correct. BF1 is evidence/observation made by the depositors who then conclude from that, that the rumors must be false. BF2 is a different interpretation of what the share purchases actually mean ...the purchases are indicative of an attempt by execs to dispel bad rumours NOT those same exec's confidence in the company.

BF2 is not a conclusion

BF2 is not a conclusion and it most certainly IS NOT the conclusion that the depositor's reached, which is what this choice implies

Circumstance? No. The passage is also not seeking to establish the explanation.

Circumstance? No.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM