It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 11:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 41

Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2009, 19:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

95% (00:57) correct 5% (01:56) wrong based on 90 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding and each time school officials complained that the cuts would force them to reduce expenditures for essential services. But each time, only expenditures for nonessential services were actually reduced. So school officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the mayor’s conclusion?

(A) The city’s schools have always provided essential services as efficiently as they have provided nonessential services.
(B) Sufficient funds are currently available to allow the city’s schools to provide some nonessential services.
(C) Price estimates quoted to the city’s schools for the provision of nonessential services have not increased substantially since the most recent school funding cut.
(D) Few influential city administrators support the funding of costly nonessential services in the city’s schools.
(E) The city’s school officials rarely exaggerate the potential impact of threatened funding cuts.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2009, 20:00
IMO B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2009, 20:25
Siddharth wrote:
IMO B

Whats the logic used?

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 6

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2009, 22:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IMO ...B

If the non essential services have substancial funds then certainly the schools can dip into the non-essential funds instead of reducing any of the essential services.

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2009, 23:56
OA is B.

Good reasoning AshForGMAT +1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2009, 00:03
B for me.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Kudos [?]: 373 [0], given: 106

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 69 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2010, 15:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Og11 Cr-9
Mayor : In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding and each time school officials complained that the cuts would force them to reduce expenditures for essential services. But each time, only expenditures for nonessential services were actually reduced. So school officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services.

Which of the following , if true, most strongly supports the mayor's conclusion?

(A)The city's schools have always provided essential services as efficiently as they have provided non essential services.
(B) Sufficient funds are currently available to allow the city's schools to provide some nonessential services.
(C) Price estimates quoted to the city's schools for the provision of non essential services have not increased substantially since the most recent school-funding cut.
(D) Few influential city administrators support the funding of costly nonessential services in the city's schools.
(E) The city's school officials rarely exaggerate the potential impact of the threatened funding cuts.

I post this question for asking another thing

Do you guys think that the answer choice C can be an assumption for this argument?

I am confused b/w assumption and strength :( .

Kudos [?]: 69 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2010, 17:26
Answer is B.

Mayor's conclusion is - So school officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services. Thus cuts can be made from non-essential expenditures. Thus it implies that still there are sufficient funds available for non-essentials services.

Thus Mayor's conclusion is solely based on the fact that there are still sufficient funds for non-essential services which can be cut without affecting essentials services.

OA please. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2010, 14:33
ans B for the same reason as cited above!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 415 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2010, 15:25
lys8207 wrote:
Og11 Cr-9
Mayor : In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding and each time school officials complained that the cuts would force them to reduce expenditures for essential services. But each time, only expenditures for nonessential services were actually reduced. So school officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services.

Which of the following , if true, most strongly supports the mayor's conclusion?

(A)The city's schools have always provided essential services as efficiently as they have provided non essential services.
(B) Sufficient funds are currently available to allow the city's schools to provide some nonessential services.
(C) Price estimates quoted to the city's schools for the provision of non essential services have not increased substantially since the most recent school-funding cut.
(D) Few influential city administrators support the funding of costly nonessential services in the city's schools.
(E) The city's school officials rarely exaggerate the potential impact of the threatened funding cuts.

I post this question for asking another thing

Do you guys think that the answer choice C can be an assumption for this argument?

Answer is B....

For strengthing question.... just concentrate on the Conclusion.... "So school officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services." and see which statement can make this conclusion more strong! Even u wld choose B..

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Kudos [?]: 415 [0], given: 47

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 22

Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2010, 19:38
lys8207 wrote:

PowerScore states that Assumption is an unstated premise. Typically in question stimulus that require you to identify an assumption, premise will discuss about something, but the conclusion will take you to an entirely different arena. There is something stated and there is something totally new that is concluded. An assumption will help you bridge that gap.

Strengthen or weaken questions on the other hand will attack the conclusion. Typically they are unstated premises as well, but most often they are additional by nature. Identifying an answer option that goes hand-in-hand with the given premises in the stimulus is very easy to identify, so the test-makers will often try to bring in new or extra information that will have a direct impact on the conclusion, that is what makes the correct answers as additional premises. However, it does not mean that assumptions cannot strengthen.

The answer options will be formulated based on the question stem posed, so you need not worry about what is not asked. There is also not sufficient time to ponder over such aspects of the question. Just stay focussed on what is asked and try and eliminate what seems wrong.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2010, 11:37
IMO B

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 5

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 412

GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2010, 06:21
Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding and each time school officials complained that the cuts would force them to reduce expenditures for essential services. But each time, only expenditures for nonessential services were actually reduced. So school officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the mayor’s conclusion?

(A) The city’s schools have always provided essential services as efficiently as they have provided nonessential services.
(B) Sufficient funds are currently available to allow the city’s schools to provide some nonessential services.
(C) Price estimates quoted to the city’s schools for the provision of nonessential services have not increased substantially since the most recent school funding cut.
(D) Few influential city administrators support the funding of costly nonessential services in the city’s schools.
(E) The city’s school officials rarely exaggerate the potential impact of threatened funding cuts.

BSchool Forum Moderator

GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2010, 06:22
Though its solved here im not convinced with the Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

school-funding-81984.html

Can some one explain it please....

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2010, 02:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ans B.

the conclusion "So school officials can implement further cuts without reducing any expenditures for essential services." can be strengthened,if there are extra funds left for NON-essential services.in that case,further cut to school fundings can be implemented,and "only expenditures for NON-essential services will be reduced" as it has been done for the pst 5 yrs by school officials.

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2010, 02:30
B it is.

Though I I did not do it, but you can try this personalize method. Assume yourself as a mayor and if given the evidence that there are sufficient funds for non-essential services, wouldn't you make the same argument?
Just an idea, if it helps.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 51

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2011, 08:51
B is the answer. no other option contends.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 51

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2012, 12:18
I agree with the correct answer choice to be B.
My question is more about handling the other choice, E. It says that school officials don't exaggerate the potential impact of cuts. This is contrary to the passage that says that the officials complained of cuts in essential services. Such cuts were never required. Only cuts in non-essential services were taken up. This clearly shows that the officials were not sure of their claims and were making false claims of their abilities. The OG mentions that this point weakens the argument. Does it weaken the argument by pointing a flaw or questioning the premise of the argument? Kindly explain how does it weaken.
I know that we could easily take this option out but was curious to know the reasoning nonetheless.
Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 10:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 10:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Re: Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2016, 10:38

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Mayor: In each of the past five years, the city has cut school funding

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap