Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [12]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [10]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [3]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [1]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: Oh IT/Indian/Male! you are doomed! [#permalink]
Kudos
rahuljaiswal wrote:
hey, i am Indian IT male. just graduated with a distinction...working in an investment bank as a trainee-executive....is tht diverse enough??....planning to apply for fall 2012.

Hi rahuljaiswal, thats great to hear that you have started planning for MBA with so much time in hand. Though I'm also one of the candidates like you, probably I would be at a better position to answer your question next yr (if everything goes well according to plan) ;)

Anyway I'll try to give my comments. Could you please elaborate on your role, I mean is it in IT department or are you working as an investment banker ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
gmatbschool wrote:
Forgive me, but I think this whole schpiel of "Indian IT male" is overdone. I am "Indian IT female" if it helps, and diversity (or lack thereof) is the least of my concerns in this process.

That said, if you still feel the need to diffrentiate, I think your approach is off. Stop thinking about it as "what is different about me" and start thinking along the lines of "what is different about my experiences"

Drawing, long drives, share market - these are your hobbies and interests. IMHO it has very little to do with your application unless it is tied to your goals. By calling these out for the sake of diversity all you're doing is calling attention to lack of accomplishment in the same areas. It's like saying "See I'm not the same as everyone else. I AM DIFFERENT. Because I draw and like long drives and the share market and Indian IT males don't have other interests so...."
Anyone can enjoy drawing - what is different about how YOU approached it and what you did with it?
No combination of interests, unless truly extraordinary (think swimming with the sharks) will be enough to get you in.

Of course I am just another applicant so what do I know.
My approach and my advice is to focus on what attributes the schools are looking for - leadership, problem solving, creativity, analytical thinking skills, engagement, etc - and think about how you demonstrated these in your professional and academic experiences.

And yes. It IS a fallacy that Indian IT professionals don't possess these skills!
Remember that time at work when someone said something couldn't be done and you did it? That is determination and hard work.
Remember that time when two co workers kept arguing and you helped them reconcile by figuring out that they had different priorities? That is teamwork and leadership.
So instead of spending your limited essay real estate on minor interests like drawing and long drives, you would be better off including stories that really showcase your history and YOU.
If you don't have any, then yeah I guess you're SOL :)

I'm not saying that every Indian IT professional can get into a top school. But this whole focus on diffrentiate yourself probably dooms more applications per year than it helps.

great! thats really inspiring. I think I do have such incidents in which I displayed my teamwork and leadership qualities. I'll surely be mentioning those in one of the essays. I agree that drawing, driving, computer games etc probably won't do much for me unless I have achieved something serious out of it.

But the problem is that I can't leave the diversity stuff. The 1st essay topic of ISB itself is evident of the fact how much they are concerned of "diversity":
Essay 1: Give 3 reasons as to why you should be selected to the class of 2011. These reasons should ideally differentiate you from the applicant pool and should be backed with some data. (300 words max)

Yeah, certainly there would be many many instances when I have worked differently from others. I have been trying to list down all those. AdCom is asking 3 reasons... probably I can give 5 (or may be more after few days), but how does that differentiate me from other applicant pool. :peek
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Every top school receives applications from many more qualified applicants than they can possibly admit in a year, so that's why they focus so much on differentiation. When adcoms ask about differentiation or how you are different from other applicants, what the adcom wants to know is what makes you unique as an individual. If your entire description of who you are is defined by what you do at work, you're not going to seem like the dynamic, interesting student that the adcom will want to admit. My advice is to look beyond what you've done at work and talk more about what makes you you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
 Q50  V46
Send PM
Bookmarks
Jerz wrote:
Every top school receives applications from many more qualified applicants than they can possibly admit in a year, so that's why they focus so much on differentiation. When adcoms ask about differentiation or how you are different from other applicants, what the adcom wants to know is what makes you unique as an individual. If your entire description of who you are is defined by what you do at work, you're not going to seem like the dynamic, interesting student that the adcom will want to admit. My advice is to look beyond what you've done at work and talk more about what makes you you.

yes and that is where things like academic background, ECs, awards, faster than average career velocity, etc come in.
You're not unique because you like drawing. The next guy could like reading and the one after could like watching movies. How do these interests make you unique?

Unique by definition means apart from the rest of the herd. You can stand apart by doing the same thing differently (extraordinarily well) or doing different things. IMO the OP is going to focus on doing the same thing the same way which doesn't make him different and only hurts his application.

DISCLAIMER: I am only talking about US schools. I have not looked at the ISB application and don't know the essay questions or their requirements.
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
gmatbschool wrote:
Jerz wrote:

yes and that is where things like academic background, ECs, awards, faster than average career velocity, etc come in.
You're not unique because you like drawing. The next guy could like reading and the one after could like watching movies. How do these interests make you unique?

Unique by definition means apart from the rest of the herd. You can stand apart by doing the same thing differently (extraordinarily well) or doing different things. IMO the OP is going to focus on doing the same thing the same way which doesn't make him different and only hurts his application.

DISCLAIMER: I am only talking about US schools. I have not looked at the ISB application and don't know the essay questions or their requirements.

Though I have used drawing as just an example, but I strongly believe if someone had done something significant in the field of fine arts, he should mention the same in his application. By significant, I mean participation in some exhibitions, competitions etc of some fame, may be state level or national level.

Even, I believe US schools would also be stressing on diversity stuff. May be its not there as one of the essay topics, thats another thing. Check out this link of Harvard:
https://www.hbs.edu/mba/profiles/classprofile.html
The first line starts with "A truly diverse student body....blah blah blah". :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
A truly diverse student body — in background, nationality, interests and ambitions —

background: IT
nationality: Indian
interests: Cricket, Bollywood
ambitions: Next Dhirubhai or Narayan Murthy

Not sure how adcom deals with these stats :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
 Q50  V46
Send PM
My point is that diversity isn't just about your interests (cricket and bollywood).
It is FIRST AND FOREMOST your experiences and your approach to problems.

Think of it this way - most b-school applicants are finance and consulting folks. They have a very corporate, straightforward and analytical approach to problems. Do you have a track record of proposing and implementing crazy solutions? or maybe rallying people together to work together? Or challenging authority/underlying assumptions.

Diversity goes beyond nationality and what movies you like to watch. Don't box yourself into the the cookie cutter definitions of "diverse".
By making statements like (say) "I am different from other Indian IT males because I don't like cricket", you're condoning the stereotype and screwing yourself.

And by the way, if YOU can't come up with good reasons why you're a better fit for this school than the next "Indian IT male" then don't expect the adcom to brainstorm on yourself.

Just my $0.02. I'm done now :)
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
gmatbschool wrote:
By making statements like (say) "I am different from other Indian IT males because I don't like cricket"

btw, I really liked this statement. I'm sure there would be hardly 1-2% Indian males NOT liking cricket. This would certainly be a unique quality of an Indian IT male. I wish adcom understand this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
 Q50  V46
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
gmatbschool wrote:
By making statements like (say) "I am different from other Indian IT males because I don't like cricket"

btw, I really liked this statement. I'm sure there would be hardly 1-2% Indian males NOT liking cricket. This would certainly be a unique quality of an Indian IT male. I wish adcom understand this.

you totally missed my point but oh well... :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Some interesting posts in here .... generally I would say dont worry about what you cant control. Thus, you cant change the fact that you are Indian, Male and have worked in IT.

What you can control is how you present your story to the AdCom. Well rounded essays demonstrating varied interests will be what separates the wheat from the chaff.

So focus on writing ... control what you can. Dont sweat the rest.
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
gmatbschool wrote:
bigoyal wrote:
gmatbschool wrote:

you totally missed my point but oh well... :)

I was just kidding. Believe me, I haven't missed any of your points. I agree that I cannot distinguish myself from others by saying I don't love cricket, or by saying I love drawing or reading etc. I agree on lot of things you are saying.

But I think you are stressing more on professional attributes, achievements and leadership skills. Whereas I believe that personal attributes are equally important. A cricket team captain (maybe just in your city club) is also a leadership quality. One may not be different from others in his/her office, but might have done lot of different things outside the office.

In my case, the negative point is that I haven't taken any of my hobbies to great extents. So I agree that it may not be of help in my case. But when writing about personal attributes like communication skills, learning power, smartness etc I feel this is a basic quality that probably AdCom would be looking for, be the candidate from IT or non-IT background.
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I really liked the idea mentioned in 3rd point. It would certainly be a positive point, provided one has indulged in those activities.

Mentioning point 1 and 2 would be a added advantage, but I think these would be true for almost all IT techies. But still one can make the difference by the way he/she portrays this in the essays, may be by mentioning the points on the learnings or challenges he/she faced with different vendors.

Recently I had a talk with ISB alumni. I was trying to understand if I highlight my experience, which is from 2 giant companies. The answer was that almost all the applicants try to highlight this point :P yak
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
I really liked the idea mentioned in 3rd point. It would certainly be a positive point, provided one has indulged in those activities.

Mentioning point 1 and 2 would be a added advantage, but I think these would be true for almost all IT techies. But still one can make the difference by the way he/she portrays this in the essays, may be by mentioning the points on the learnings or challenges he/she faced with different vendors.

Recently I had a talk with ISB alumni. I was trying to understand if I highlight my experience, which is from 2 giant companies. The answer was that almost all the applicants try to highlight this point :P yak

Hi Bigoyal,

Can you be specific on what not to mention about our experience in IT giants. This would help us pick the right examples either for achievement or personality traits.....
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
ISBtarget wrote:
bigoyal wrote:

Hi Bigoyal,

Can you be specific on what not to mention about our experience in IT giants. This would help us pick the right examples either for achievement or personality traits.....

My apologies, if that sound confusing. In my essays I was trying to highlight the name of the IT giants for which I worked. You know I thought that would impress adcom.

But what I came to know that lot of applicants come from companies like IBM, Oracle, TCS, Infosys, etc etc. So if someone says that he/she is from Infosys, I doubt that would impress adcoms. But surely, one can impress adcoms by saying what he/she has learnt from that experience and what he/she can add to the class from that experience (e.g. participation in case-studies, research work or programs etc in the campus).

Anyway, thats my personal opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
well i have read the previous posts and have seen that ppl are quite worried abt being Indian IT. Surely, this comes under an over representative group bt i would like to highlight that in almost all the companies in india the same type of work is done.

I am working in Nokia Siemens Networks as a Solution Expert in a Presales dept., bt believe me we r also doing the copy paste work only. Though we do get to have customer interaction bt still the overall work is nt gr8 that could set apart me frm another IT candidate.
So i dont think that being an IT male is to one's disadvantage. What matters is the quality of work one has done and obviously how u project it. They need ppl with clear goals.

so you cant change what had happened bt u can surely project things to ur advantage.
Director
Director
 Q50  V38
Send PM
paruloberai wrote:
well i have read the previous posts and have seen that ppl are quite worried abt being Indian IT. Surely, this comes under an over representative group bt i would like to highlight that in almost all the companies in india the same type of work is done.

I am working in Nokia Siemens Networks as a Solution Expert in a Presales dept., bt believe me we r also doing the copy paste work only. Though we do get to have customer interaction bt still the overall work is nt gr8 that could set apart me frm another IT candidate.
So i dont think that being an IT male is to one's disadvantage. What matters is the quality of work one has done and obviously how u project it. They need ppl with clear goals.

so you cant change what had happened bt u can surely project things to ur advantage.

I agree. In my case, I had a chance to work very close with customer for around last 2 yrs. I have tried to highlight my achievements while working with clients in my essays. Lets hope for the best :)

Working in Presales dept - that surely a big big plus point for you. You need to add some spice to your success stories and don't tell the copy-paste stuff ;) . This kindda work - e.g. involvement in project management, pre-sales, etc - are really cherished by adcom. I think adcom doesn't want to hear how a hard-core Java programmer created 1 million line code; rather they want to hear big stories of wooing customers, leadership skills etc and how the whole project was successful due to you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
hey, i am Indian IT male. just graduated with a distinction...working in an investment bank as a trainee-executive....is tht diverse enough??....planning to apply for fall 2012.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2