GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2019, 05:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning the otters

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning the otters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 00:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:52) correct 53% (02:03) wrong based on 283 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning the otters affected by our recent oil spill than has been spent on any previous marine mammal rescue project. This shows our concern for the environment.

Environmentalist: You have no such concern. Your real concern is evident in your admission to the press that news photographs of oil-covered otters would be particularly damaging to your public image, which plays an important role in your level of sales.

The environmentalist’s conclusion would be properly drawn if it were true that the

(A) oil company cannot have more than one motive for cleaning the otters affected by the oil spill

(B) otter population in the area of the oil spill could not have survived without the cleaning project

(C) oil company has always shown a high regard for its profits in choosing its courses of action

(D) government would have spent the money to clean the otters if the oil company had not agreed to do it

(E) oil company’s efforts toward cleaning the affected otters have been more successful than have such efforts in previous projects to clean up oil spills

V
Re: Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning the otters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 07:01
sayan640 wrote:
VeritasKarishma mikemcgarry
chetan2u
Can you please throw some light on this question ?

Posted from my mobile device

Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning the otters affected by our recent oil spill than has been spent on any previous marine mammal rescue project. This shows our concern for the environment.

Environmentalist: You have no such concern. Your real concern is evident in your admission to the press that news photographs of oil-covered otters would be particularly damaging to your public image, which plays an important role in your level of sales.

The environmentalist’s conclusion would be properly drawn if it were true that the

So, the first point is to get to the conclusion. It is that the company has no environmental concern but concern for sales and profit only.

(A) oil company cannot have more than one motive for cleaning the otters affected by the oil spill
The company has already agreed to the motive of containing the damages that could have been caused by pics. So, if there is only one motive, then the environmental concern is a lie, because the company has agreed to the damage concern in the press..
Correct

(B) otter population in the area of the oil spill could not have survived without the cleaning project
Doesn't effect the conclusion in any way

(C) oil company has always shown a high regard for its profits in choosing its courses of action
Quite a few are going for this as an answer.
But what is new in this..nothing. the environmentalist conclusion is almost the same, so it is merely rewording the conclusion.
Also high regard for one thing does not mean there can't be a second concern.

(D) government would have spent the money to clean the otters if the oil company had not agreed to do it
Out of scope

(E) oil company’s efforts toward cleaning the affected otters have been more successful than have such efforts in previous projects to clean up oil spills
out of scope/context
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Re: Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning the otters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 07:15
ballest127 wrote:
Hi Expert,

I think A is correct.

C is too strong.

Please explain the answer.

Thanks.

Two things.

Eliminating a choice because it is "too strong" is too simplistic. Using such approaches will not get you to correct answers to higher level CR questions. To perform at a high level in CR, you have to use fairly sophisticated, logical explanations for your choices.

Having said that, I have to agree that (A) is the better choice. What (C) says is about the past, and does not necessarily mean that the oil company is not concerned about the environment in this case.

So, good point, and perhaps, by "too strong" you meant something more logical than the words "too strong" seem to convey.

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 04:05
Bunuel wrote:

I think we are being asked to assume something that has to be true to support the environmentalist's conclusion.
A type of strengthen question.

Keep it.

It does not matter. Environmentalist's conclusion is based on the profiting mindset of oil company.

This looks good. If this is true, then Environmentalists conclusion stands firm. "Level of sales" can be considered profit/loss.

Out of scope.

Irrelevant

From A and C, C seems better and more precise.
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 06:50
Hi Expert,

I think A is correct.

C is too strong.

Please explain the answer.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
S
Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning the otters  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Apr 2019, 05:05
VeritasKarishma mikemcgarry
chetan2u
Can you please throw some light on this question ?

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by sayan640 on 19 Apr 2019, 01:33.
Last edited by sayan640 on 19 Apr 2019, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V30

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 04:35
AkshdeepS wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I think we are being asked to assume something that has to be true to support the environmentalist's conclusion.
A type of strengthen question.

Keep it.

It does not matter. Environmentalist's conclusion is based on the profiting mindset of oil company.

This looks good. If this is true, then Environmentalists conclusion stands firm. "Level of sales" can be considered profit/loss.

Out of scope.

Irrelevant

From A and C, C seems better and more precise.

I am no expert but the reason why I believe A is a better answer choice is because C has a certain word "profit maximization' i think that profit maximization and 'damage control' are two different things. i am not sure if my line of reasoning is correct, correct me if i am wrong
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2019, 09:44
C is a better option.

In Point A --> oil company cannot have more than one motive for cleaning the otters affected by the oil spill-->doesn't necessarily support the environmentalist's point.

If we negate this option A-->oil company can have more than one motive for cleaning the otters affected by the oil spill.
It still supports the environmentalist' view .
Reason :It says that cleaning is not Company's main concern.Never said that it is their only concern.so,company can have multiple motives.
Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 16:39
Quick Question. Can we say profits is not necessarily equal to Sales and hence option C is incorrect?

chetan2u

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning the otters   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2019, 16:39

Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning the otters

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics