GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 03:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1215
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 06:52
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

72% (01:05) correct 28% (01:08) wrong based on 185 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new major movie, FastCar, six months from now. Although OmniFilm generally begins advertising six months prior to the release of a major film, the studio plans to initiate the FastCar ad campaign three months from now.

Which of the following, if true, best explains OmniFilm’s decision to wait three months before beginning the ad campaign?


(A) Many studies show that the benefits of advertising a film are maximized when the ad campaign is initiated no more than six months before a film’s release.

(B) Initiating the ad campaign for FastCar in six months would unquestionably be less effective than initiating the campaign in three months.

(C) Commencing the ad campaign for FastCar would attract public attention away from another OmniFilm movie currently showing in theaters.

(D) Early reviews predict that FastCar will be one of the highest-grossing films in OmniFilm’s history.

(E) FastCar’s advertising budget is at least 50% greater than that of any other movie ever released by OmniFilm

Source - powerscore bible

_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Feb 2018
Posts: 93
Location: India
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 01:37
I was confused between options E and C, and incorrectly chose E because I felt that in C the other films by Omnifilm were out of scope. Whereas in E, since Fastcar has a very high budget compared to other films, the production company might want to reduce the advertising costs.
Though I understand why C makes sense, but on what basis do we choose C over E?
Can someone please clarify,
Thanks in advance.
_________________

Please press Kudos if this helped :-)

“Going in one more round when you don't think you can, that's what makes all the difference in your life.”

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Sep 2018, 02:10
1
aragonn wrote:
Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new major movie, FastCar, six months from now. Although OmniFilm generally begins advertising six months prior to the release of a major film, the studio plans to initiate the FastCar ad campaign three months from now.

Which of the following, if true, best explains OmniFilm’s decision to wait three months before beginning the ad campaign?


(A) Many studies show that the benefits of advertising a film are maximized when the ad campaign is initiated no more than six months before a film’s release.

(B) Initiating the ad campaign for FastCar in six months would unquestionably be less effective than initiating the campaign in three months.

(C) Commencing the ad campaign for FastCar would attract public attention away from another OmniFilm movie currently showing in theaters.

(D) Early reviews predict that FastCar will be one of the highest-grossing films in OmniFilm’s history.

(E) FastCar’s advertising budget is at least 50% greater than that of any other movie ever released by OmniFilm

Source - powerscore bible


A) Still no valid reason and it weakens argument as states ad campaign should have initiated at 6 month

B) Stating the same thing and no reason provided as in why

C) Could be true

D) Then too no reason for 6 month to 3 month

E) This too weakens argument as campaign should have been more then 6 month as budget is more



After eliminating A, B, D, and E only C seems correct choice.

Edited reason for B
_________________

______________________________
Consider KUDOS if my post helped !!

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts


Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)


Originally posted by parthos on 20 Sep 2018, 01:47.
Last edited by parthos on 20 Sep 2018, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 01:52
2
Sreyoshi007 wrote:
I was confused between options E and C, and incorrectly chose E because I felt that in C the other films by Omnifilm were out of scope. Whereas in E, since Fastcar has a very high budget compared to other films, the production company might want to reduce the advertising costs.
Though I understand why C makes sense, but on what basis do we choose C over E?
Can someone please clarify,
Thanks in advance.


Sreyoshi007 It gives no valid point as why campaign should be for lesser period as it states BUDGET IS MORE FOR AD CAMPAIGN, which means they can run campaign for more then 6 month periods which weakens argument.

Hope it helps !!
_________________

______________________________
Consider KUDOS if my post helped !!

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts


Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jan 2018
Posts: 8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 01:59
1
Sreyoshi007 wrote:
I was confused between options E and C, and incorrectly chose E because I felt that in C the other films by Omnifilm were out of scope. Whereas in E, since Fastcar has a very high budget compared to other films, the production company might want to reduce the advertising costs.
Though I understand why C makes sense, but on what basis do we choose C over E?
Can someone please clarify,
Thanks in advance.


The option simply states that the Fastcar has a very high budget. Nowhere it is mentioned in the question or in the option whether reducing the advertisement period will reduce the total cost. It is quite possible that Fastcar has allocated $X to sales and marketing revenue and intend to use the same irrespective of the time period.

While in C it's quite clear.

In-fact, i was confused over option B :shh:
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 02:09
2
Shubhasish wrote:
Sreyoshi007 wrote:
I was confused between options E and C, and incorrectly chose E because I felt that in C the other films by Omnifilm were out of scope. Whereas in E, since Fastcar has a very high budget compared to other films, the production company might want to reduce the advertising costs.
Though I understand why C makes sense, but on what basis do we choose C over E?
Can someone please clarify,
Thanks in advance.


The option simply states that the Fastcar has a very high budget. Nowhere it is mentioned in the question or in the option whether reducing the advertisement period will reduce the total cost. It is quite possible that Fastcar has allocated $X to sales and marketing revenue and intend to use the same irrespective of the time period.

While in C it's quite clear.

In-fact, i was confused over option B :shh:


As I told earlier in my main post B) State the same thing and no reason provided as in why ad campaign should be for 3 months instead of 6 months.
_________________

______________________________
Consider KUDOS if my post helped !!

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts


Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Sep 2018
Posts: 11
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 06:06
parthos
Hi, I don't get why you say that B) state the same thing. I mean in the question it is not said anything about the effectiveness of the operation. The reasons for a delayed campaign could be many, and B), despite being quite obvious, provides the exact reason.
Could you help me solve my trouble?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 06:13
1
artiom01 wrote:
parthos
Hi, I don't get why you say that B) state the same thing. I mean in the question it is not said anything about the effectiveness of the operation. The reasons for a delayed campaign could be many, and B), despite being quite obvious, provides the exact reason.
Could you help me solve my trouble?


artiom01 I would agree with you and have a made a mistake in providing correct reason earlier, still not feel that's a valid reason as its not providing full reason like why it would be be less effective which we are looking in the answer. Hope it helps !!
_________________

______________________________
Consider KUDOS if my post helped !!

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts


Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Sep 2018
Posts: 11
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 06:36
parthos Tank you. So, in this case, the 'best explains' in the question should be considered as 'more precisely explains' in order to get rid of option B that states 3-months advertisement period be more effective, but not say why.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 06:45
2
artiom01 wrote:
parthos Tank you. So, in this case, the 'best explains' in the question should be considered as 'more precisely explains' in order to get rid of option B that states 3-months advertisement period be more effective, but not say why.


artiom01 one can simply say thanks by giving Kudos instead of typing big posts.. Just kidding ;) ;)
_________________

______________________________
Consider KUDOS if my post helped !!

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts


Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jan 2018
Posts: 104
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.32
WE: Operations (Retail)
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 10:55
1
Same question - how is B wrong? It clearly states that starting an ad campaign 6 months early vs. 3 months is less effective.

B is referring to "major movie" vs. C is referring "another movie." To me, B is more compelling reason. I'd rather wait 3 months to make sure major film is successful vs. worried about ad campaign drawing public attention away from another rmovie.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2018
Posts: 43
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 13:36
hanamana wrote:
Same question - how is B wrong? It clearly states that starting an ad campaign 6 months early vs. 3 months is less effective.

B is referring to "major movie" vs. C is referring "another movie." To me, B is more compelling reason. I'd rather wait 3 months to make sure major film is successful vs. worried about ad campaign drawing public attention away from another rmovie.


+1 on B,

In option C, it doesn't even specify any particular info about the other movie, whether it will be running for next 3 months.
I don't understand how can we assume that the other movie will run for next 3 months.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jan 2018
Posts: 104
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.32
WE: Operations (Retail)
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 15:45
GMATNinja,

Can you help us with the reasoning here? Thank you so much!!
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1215
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 18:11
1
Let me give you a hand here:

Which of the following, if true, best explains OmniFilm’s decision to wait three months before beginning the ad campaign?
So why late promotion? It usually start promotion 6 month prior but this time it is just giving 3 month for ads. so what stands ?
pre-think - many things can be possible
1. Any good marketing company dont have dates until 3 month prior.
2. This marketing will hamper some other project.
3. This movie is already getting mouth publicity since very long and salman khan + vin diesel are also in it. So movie will be hit without any marketing.

(A) Many studies show that the benefits of advertising a film are maximized when the ad campaign is initiated no more than six months before a film’s release. ---- complete opposite of what we are looking for.

(B) Initiating the ad campaign for FastCar in six months would unquestionably be less effective than initiating the campaign in three months. --- this is not explaining the paradox raised in question stem.

(C) Commencing the ad campaign for FastCar would attract public attention away from another OmniFilm movie currently showing in theaters. ---- on pre-thinking lines. they will loose money for sure if starts at 6 month. but a chance to save some in case of 3 month.

(D) Early reviews predict that FastCar will be one of the highest-grossing films in OmniFilm’s history. ---- So marketing is not needed. Why even 3 months.

(E) FastCar’s advertising budget is at least 50% greater than that of any other movie ever released by OmniFilm ---- that is may be fact but are you saving money
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1215
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 18:18
shiva007 - So you need to read the Question again. It says a key word 'if true'. it means you have to consider every choice is correct while solving such cases. Now see what is the effect of that choice on situation.

In general most strengthen and weaken question have this word and this means every such case will be treated as thus. Although you must not use out side information to solve questions, yet options can be from outside the question stem.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jan 2018
Posts: 104
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.32
WE: Operations (Retail)
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 21:08
aragonn wrote:
Let me give you a hand here:

Which of the following, if true, best explains OmniFilm’s decision to wait three months before beginning the ad campaign?
So why late promotion? It usually start promotion 6 month prior but this time it is just giving 3 month for ads. so what stands ?
pre-think - many things can be possible
1. Any good marketing company dont have dates until 3 month prior.
2. This marketing will hamper some other project.
3. This movie is already getting mouth publicity since very long and salman khan + vin diesel are also in it. So movie will be hit without any marketing.

(A) Many studies show that the benefits of advertising a film are maximized when the ad campaign is initiated no more than six months before a film’s release. ---- complete opposite of what we are looking for.

(B) Initiating the ad campaign for FastCar in six months would unquestionably be less effective than initiating the campaign in three months. --- this is not explaining the paradox raised in question stem.

(C) Commencing the ad campaign for FastCar would attract public attention away from another OmniFilm movie currently showing in theaters. ---- on pre-thinking lines. they will loose money for sure if starts at 6 month. but a chance to save some in case of 3 month.

(D) Early reviews predict that FastCar will be one of the highest-grossing films in OmniFilm’s history. ---- So marketing is not needed. Why even 3 months.

(E) FastCar’s advertising budget is at least 50% greater than that of any other movie ever released by OmniFilm ---- that is may be fact but are you saving money


How did B not explain the paradox? Because initiating the campaign in three months would be more effective, the company decided to wait.
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1215
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 06:58
1
I see a lot of discussion and confused people. Here is OE, Let me know if any more doubts. hanamana

Official Explanation:



This stimulus presents a rather interesting paradox: although OmniFilm generally begins advertising major movies six months prior to release, the studio does not plan to begin advertising for the major movie FastCar until three months prior to its release. As with any Resolve the Paradox question, the correct answer choice must provide an active resolution/explanation for why the apparent contradiction exists. In this case, the correct answer will provide a reason why OmniFilm would choose to delay the advertising of FastCar for three months.

(A): The issue in the stimulus does not concern advertising initiated more than six months before a film’s release. The paradox is about why FastCar is being advertised only three months before release, as opposed to the standard six months.

(B): This answer choice could be tempting for test takers who do not read closely. Remember, the stimulus states that the ad campaign for FastCar will be released in six months, but advertising will not begin for another three months (only three months prior to the film’s release). This answer choice states that an ad campaign that begins in three months, as FastCar’s will, will be more effective than one that begins in six months (which is when the film opens). However, the oddity of this stimulus is not about what would happen if the ads start in six months; the paradox concerns why the ad campaign doesn’t begin now, six months prior to the film’s release. So this answer choice has nothing to do with the facts in the stimulus.

(C): This is the correct answer. This answer tells us that if the ad campaign were to begin now, six months prior to the film’s release, it would distract people from another one of the studio’s movies that is currently showing. Since the studio obviously doesn’t want to attract attention away from its current movie, we now have a reason for the apparent delay in the advertising campaign for FastCar.

(D): This answer seems to contribute even further to the paradox in the stimulus. If FastCar is expected to be hugely successful, then the studio should be even more willing to begin advertising it as soon as possible. So the three month delay becomes even more counterintuitive.

(E): Like answer choice (D), this answer also makes the situation described in the stimulus seem even more puzzling. If the advertising budget for FastCar is at least 50% greater than any other film ever released by OmniFilm, then the delay in beginning the ad campaign becomes even more strange. Clearly this answer does nothing to help resolve the apparent discrepancy presented in the stimulus.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jan 2018
Posts: 104
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.32
WE: Operations (Retail)
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 15:31
1
aragonn wrote:
I see a lot of discussion and confused people. Here is OE, Let me know if any more doubts. hanamana

Official Explanation:



This stimulus presents a rather interesting paradox: although OmniFilm generally begins advertising major movies six months prior to release, the studio does not plan to begin advertising for the major movie FastCar until three months prior to its release. As with any Resolve the Paradox question, the correct answer choice must provide an active resolution/explanation for why the apparent contradiction exists. In this case, the correct answer will provide a reason why OmniFilm would choose to delay the advertising of FastCar for three months.

(A): The issue in the stimulus does not concern advertising initiated more than six months before a film’s release. The paradox is about why FastCar is being advertised only three months before release, as opposed to the standard six months.

(B): This answer choice could be tempting for test takers who do not read closely. Remember, the stimulus states that the ad campaign for FastCar will be released in six months, but advertising will not begin for another three months (only three months prior to the film’s release). This answer choice states that an ad campaign that begins in three months, as FastCar’s will, will be more effective than one that begins in six months (which is when the film opens). However, the oddity of this stimulus is not about what would happen if the ads start in six months; the paradox concerns why the ad campaign doesn’t begin now, six months prior to the film’s release. So this answer choice has nothing to do with the facts in the stimulus.

(C): This is the correct answer. This answer tells us that if the ad campaign were to begin now, six months prior to the film’s release, it would distract people from another one of the studio’s movies that is currently showing. Since the studio obviously doesn’t want to attract attention away from its current movie, we now have a reason for the apparent delay in the advertising campaign for FastCar.

(D): This answer seems to contribute even further to the paradox in the stimulus. If FastCar is expected to be hugely successful, then the studio should be even more willing to begin advertising it as soon as possible. So the three month delay becomes even more counterintuitive.

(E): Like answer choice (D), this answer also makes the situation described in the stimulus seem even more puzzling. If the advertising budget for FastCar is at least 50% greater than any other film ever released by OmniFilm, then the delay in beginning the ad campaign becomes even more strange. Clearly this answer does nothing to help resolve the apparent discrepancy presented in the stimulus.



Thank you so much!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 39
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 22:14
aragonn wrote:
Let me give you a hand here:

Which of the following, if true, best explains OmniFilm’s decision to wait three months before beginning the ad campaign?
So why late promotion? It usually start promotion 6 month prior but this time it is just giving 3 month for ads. so what stands ?
pre-think - many things can be possible
1. Any good marketing company dont have dates until 3 month prior.
2. This marketing will hamper some other project.
3. This movie is already getting mouth publicity since very long and salman khan + vin diesel are also in it. So movie will be hit without any marketing.

(A) Many studies show that the benefits of advertising a film are maximized when the ad campaign is initiated no more than six months before a film’s release. ---- complete opposite of what we are looking for.

(B) Initiating the ad campaign for FastCar in six months would unquestionably be less effective than initiating the campaign in three months. --- this is not explaining the paradox raised in question stem.

(C) Commencing the ad campaign for FastCar would attract public attention away from another OmniFilm movie currently showing in theaters. ---- on pre-thinking lines. they will loose money for sure if starts at 6 month. but a chance to save some in case of 3 month.

(D) Early reviews predict that FastCar will be one of the highest-grossing films in OmniFilm’s history. ---- So marketing is not needed. Why even 3 months.

(E) FastCar’s advertising budget is at least 50% greater than that of any other movie ever released by OmniFilm ---- that is may be fact but are you saving money


Thanks for providing much detailed explanation.
_________________

______________________________
Consider KUDOS if my post helped !!

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts


Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new &nbs [#permalink] 23 Sep 2018, 22:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Omnifilm, a large film production studio, will release its next new

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.