Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7796 [68]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63654 [31]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2093 [6]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: On a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, young members of the tribe are [#permalink]
What is wrong with C?

It even carries the meaning and intent of the original sentence.

How to know when parallelism is sneaking in between the meaning.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: On a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, young members of the tribe are [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
On a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, young members of the tribe are using computers for learning their ancient language that was nearly forgotten.

(A) for learning their ancient language that was nearly forgotten

(B) for learning their ancient language that they nearly forgot

(C) to learn their ancient language, which they nearly forgot

(D) to learn their ancient and nearly forgotten language.

(E) to learn their language that was ancient and nearly forgotten

1. use of past tense: Was the language only forgotten in past, giving a feeling that it has been revived now? Or has it been forgotten until now? One can appreciate that the ancient language has been forgotten until now.

Therefore the use of past tense is utterly wrong. We should remove A, B, C and E for this reason alone

We can see D is the most relevant since it scrupulously avoids the past tense.

2. for learning vs. to learn:
Why are the young members using computers?
- For a purpose, namely to learn the forgotten language- When a purpose is involved, the right thing is to use the infinitive. That is the reason 'to learn' is the correct idiom.

3. How can 'and' be a parallel marker?: True that ancient is an adjective and nearly forgotten is also an adjectival phrase. Since nearly is modifying the adjective forgotten, it does not interfere with the parallelism marked by the conjunction 'and'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35 (Online)
Send PM
On a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, young members of the tribe are [#permalink]
Even though I selected D. I would like raise one issue.

In option D

On a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, young members of the tribe are using computers to learn their ancient and nearly forgotten language.

Is D implying computers to learn ancient and nearly forgotten language? According to me, it feels that D is implying the computers to learn not young members.

One more thing I am considering 'to learn -----' phrase adjective modifier not adverbial modifier.

And Option A seems ok

I would be glad if you can elaborate.

daagh GMATNinja Abhi077
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2207 [0]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
On a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, young members of the tribe are [#permalink]
avinashiitp 'young members' is the subject followed by the verb 'are using' this clearly presents that young members are using computers for an intent. what is that intent? it's 'to learn' We also use the to-infinitive to express purpose/intention.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Abhi077 Yes, I understand but to me sentence seems to imply computer to learn.

If the Sentence was framed in below mentioned format I would made sense.

On a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, young members, to learn their ancient and nearly forgotten language, of the tribe are using computers

But in this context the phrase ''to learn their ancient and nearly forgotten language'' seems to modify computers, which seems non sensical.

For Option A,

On a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, young members of the tribe are using computers for learning their ancient language that was nearly forgotten.

computers for learning this seems to imply function of the computer, and it seems to be correct.

Please let me know your thoughts.
SC Moderator
Send PM
avinashiitp wrote:
Abhi077 Yes, I understand but to me sentence seems to imply computer to learn.

On a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, young members, to learn their ancient and nearly forgotten language, of the tribe are using computers

But in this context the phrase ''to learn their ancient and nearly forgotten language'' seems to modify computers, which seems non sensical.

For Option A,

computers for learning this seems to imply function of the computer, and it seems to be correct.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Can you tell me where is the verb in the sentence that I've highlighted in red? There is no verb. it's a fragment sentence. 'to learn' is not modifying computers, it's certainly not a noun modifier, it's modifying the verb ' are using' to present an intention if you break the sentence in Subject-Verb pairs as I've done above, you'd notice that :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah Sure, Bolded Parts are Modifier. Underline parts are subject and Verb.

On a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, young members(Subject), to learn their ancient and nearly forgotten language, of the tribe are using (Verb)computers

Abhi077
SC Moderator
Send PM
avinashiitp wrote:
Yeah Sure, Bolded Parts are Modifier. Underline parts are subject and Verb.

On a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, young members(Subject), to learn their ancient and nearly forgotten language, of the tribe are using (Verb)computers

Abhi077

The verb here should be close to the subject because 'to learn their and nearly foreign language' is modifying the verb 'are using'. why are they using computers? because of the intention to learn their language that's what the meaning is :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah true If I consider the phrase 'to learn their ancient and nearly forgotten language' as adverbial Phrase

Then it make sense.

Abhi077
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
avinashiitp wrote:

Well, that seems quite a fragmented sentence. Better way would be to bring the entire infinitive phrase towards the beginning:

To learn their ancient and nearly forgotten language, young members of the tribe on a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin, are using computers.

Quote:

Yes non sensical and hence, it would need a significant flight of imagination, to interpret the sentence in that manner.

On the other hand, something along the following lines would be more ambiguous;

I need my teachers to first learn basics of grammar.

This could mean:
i) I want to learn basics of grammar, and for that, I need my teachers

Or

ii) My teachers should first learn basics of grammar (before they perhaps start teaching me!).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
ii) My teachers should first learn basics of grammar (before they perhaps start teaching me!).

For this purpose I wanted to avoid Option D.

and Select Option A in which the phrase 'computers for learning their ancient language that was nearly forgotten' contains underlined part modifying the Computer , thus modification implies function of Computer.

EducationAisle
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
avinashiitp wrote:
For this purpose I wanted to avoid Option D.

Hi Avinash, as I mentioned in my post above, option D cannot be considered ambiguous, because the other interpretation (computers learning their ancient and nearly forgotten language) is non-sensical.

In any case, when two verb forms (use and learn in this sentence) are used together in a sentence, then the first verb determines whether the second verb will be in the gerund form ( for learning) or in the infinitive form (to learn). There are no fixed rules for this, and this is largely an idiom issue.

Having said that, the good part is that in most cases, the infinitive form (to learn) should be used for the second verb form.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the case of two verb forms appearing together, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Schools: ISB '25 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V32
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Prashant10692 wrote:
What is wrong with C?

It even carries the meaning and intent of the original sentence.

How to know when parallelism is sneaking in between the meaning.

Quote:

(A) for learning their ancient language that was nearly forgotten

(B) for learning their ancient language that they nearly forgot

(C) to learn their ancient language, which they nearly forgot

(D) to learn their ancient and nearly forgotten language.

(E) to learn their language that was ancient and nearly forgotten

You can eliminate (A) and (B) easily enough based on the idiom error, but there's actually a pretty huge meaning difference between (C), (D), and (E).

In (C): "they" refers back to "young members of the tribe," so we have: "... young members of the tribe are using computers to learn their ancient language, which [young members of the tribe] nearly forgot." Wait -- that's suggesting that the problem is that the ancient Chippewa language was forgotten by the young members of the tribe.

But that's not what the sentence is trying to say: the heart of the sentence is that the ancient language has nearly been forgotten in general -- not just by young members of the tribe -- and that's why it's noteworthy that young Chippewas are learning the language on computers now. (D) conveys that meaning much more clearly.

I don't think anybody was all that worried about (E), but for what it's worth: it doesn't make sense to use the past tense in the phrase "their language that was ancient", since "ancient" is a general characteristic of the language -- not a characteristic that was only true in the past.

I hope this helps!

Hi GMATNinja,
Hope you are well. Can we eliminate C on the basis of ', which'? ', which' according to Manhattan SC guide is wrong as ', which' can't reprsent a clause. Could you please clear this? TIA!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63654 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM