GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 23:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Top Contributor
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
A. On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold ---- the use of command subjunctive" that US citizen" hold is unwarranted

B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold ---- it gives a feeling as if the immigrants passed the law ---distorted meaning.

C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding --- No connect between the first and the second part due to the lack of a proper connector.

D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold --- the correct choice.

E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold--- 'being passed' -- bad verb tense

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Reviews Badge
Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 18:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
choice d

we need because, we can't join two clause with a comma

also "passed in 1993" modifies the LAW and making it a crime, -a ing modifier ( though little far away from LAW ) is ok

Because of a LAW passed in 1993 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 01:09
fiesta wrote:
On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them

A. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1993 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1993 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1993 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

Please hepl me, thanks!!!

I want to add something.
this problem look testing an idiom. but, in fact, I think, it tests us more the difference between "comma+doing" and "doing" than the idiom because this idiom is hard to remember.

look at choice A and D, the difference between them is "comma" before "making". this is the point gmat want us to know. gmat wants us to know the difference between

noun+doing
and
noun+ comma+doing.

in the first, the doing modify the preceding noun (idealy, the noun touch the doing but it dose not need to touch the doing". in the second, the doing modify the whole clause before or after it.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 20:52
This post received
KUDOS
D is right because in other options, "that" are put in wrong places to modify wrong nouns.
Also, here is an important note: preposition + noun + participle is 100% wrong in gmat
For example, because of his troops dying from the cold, Napoleon had to retreat from Russia.

However, in this question, "because of law passed in 1933 making..." is correct, because "making" does not modify the "law", but the whole clause "law passed in 1933"
Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 06:15
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 06:37
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 11:10
Anyone can explain for me in D, what does "to hold" do? I think it has some grammar problem?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 05:54
On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A. On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

HI GMATNinja, mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k,

IN option A there might be some other errors but could you please let me know what making is modifying

As per my knowledge comma + -ing modifies the preceding clause

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 15:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
NandishSS wrote:
On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A. On account of a law passed in 1933, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

IN option A there might be some other errors but could you please let me know what making is modifying

Dear NandishSS,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, any one-size-fits-all rule about participles is worse than useless. Participles have a bewildering array of uses and no one rule is going to capture it all.

In the bigger picture, your question is indicative of the wrong approach. Many students incorrectly imagine that they can get to GMAT SC mastery by memorizing all the rules: that is an entirely chimerical pursuit. Yes, there are some grammar rules one needs to learn, but even if one learns every conceivable rule, that's less than half the story. Mastery comes from developing intuition about the language, about how words and structures are used in the living flow. For a non-native speaker, the best way to develop this intuition is to cultivate a rigorous habit of reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

In this SC problem, version (A) is an awkward disaster. For a native speaker, it's obvious how awful it is. That would be the most important thing for a non-native speaker to learn to appreciate. The participle "making" here acts as a noun-modifier modifying "law." That's one of the few things that (A) gets correct.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 19:56
mikemcgarry wrote:
NandishSS wrote:

Dear NandishSS,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, any one-size-fits-all rule about participles is worse than useless. Participles have a bewildering array of uses and no one rule is going to capture it all.

In the bigger picture, your question is indicative of the wrong approach. Many students incorrectly imagine that they can get to GMAT SC mastery by memorizing all the rules: that is an entirely chimerical pursuit. Yes, there are some grammar rules one needs to learn, but even if one learns every conceivable rule, that's less than half the story. Mastery comes from developing intuition about the language, about how words and structures are used in the living flow. For a non-native speaker, the best way to develop this intuition is to cultivate a rigorous habit of reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

In this SC problem, version (A) is an awkward disaster. For a native speaker, it's obvious how awful it is. That would be the most important thing for a non-native speaker to learn to appreciate. The participle "making" here acts as a noun-modifier modifying "law." That's one of the few things that (A) gets correct.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thanks mikemcgarry for your advice :-) Will try to apply while practicing SC

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Re: On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2018, 19:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by im

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap