GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 05:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

On completing both the course in experimental design and the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 424
On completing both the course in experimental design and the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Sep 2013, 15:22
4
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:41) correct 44% (01:35) wrong based on 616 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

On completing both the course in experimental design and the developmental psychology course, Angela will have earned a degree in psychology. Since experimental design, which must be completed before taking developmental psychology, will not be offered until next term, it will be at least two terms before Angela gets her psychology degree

If the statements above are all true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) The developmental psychology course Angela needs to take requires two terms to complete.
(B) The course in experimental design is an easier course than the course in developmental psychology.
(C) There are no prerequisites for the course in experimental design.
(D) Anyone who earns a degree in psychology from the university Angela attends will have completed the course in experimental design.
(E) Once Angela completes the developmental psychology course, she will have earned a degree in psychology.

_________________

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.


Originally posted by BlueRobin on 14 Sep 2010, 23:23.
Last edited by pqhai on 11 Sep 2013, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
Correct the question
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 180
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2010, 23:57
I disagree with the OA.

I think it should be E.

The arguments said that if A finishes both Exp and Dev course, she will earn the degree. However, it doesn't said Exp or Dev is required for the degree. It just may happen that these two are elective and she needs to complete her degree. Therefore i think answer D is wrong.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Posts: 126
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2010, 00:15
1
will go with D
_________________

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Posts: 126
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2010, 00:19
gautrang wrote:
I disagree with the OA.

I think it should be E.

The arguments said that if A finishes both Exp and Dev course, she will earn the degree. However, it doesn't said Exp or Dev is required for the degree. It just may happen that these two are elective and she needs to complete her degree. Therefore i think answer D is wrong.



for me it looks like both D and E are good!!!!!!!!!!!
_________________

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1318
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2010, 01:35
I think it's C... the main point is that the course will be completed in two terms. by the way is this question complete because i couldnt find the question stem anywhere!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2010
Posts: 25
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2010, 04:17
BlueRobin wrote:
On completing both the course in experimental design and the developmental psychology course, Angela will have earned a degree in psychology. Since experimental design, which must be completed before taking developmental psychology, will not be offered until next term, it will be at least two terms before Angela gets her psychology degree

(A) The developmental psychology course Angela needs to take requires two terms to complete.
(B) The course in experimental design is an easier course than the course in developmental psychology.
(C) There are no prerequisites for the course in experimental design.
(D) Anyone who earns a degree in psychology from the university Angela attends will have completed the course in experimental design.
(E) Once Angela completes the developmental psychology course, she will have earned a degree in psychology.


D,E are close, so explain why if choosing one over other.

Answer is d. The question says One has to complete ED and DP to get Psycho degree. Therefore, anyone who has got the degree must have completed ED.

Completing ED and DP does not mean Degree in Psycho. There can be other exams to clear before getting the degree.

Hope I'm clear.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2010, 11:44
3
D is absolutely wrong. It's a pretty big leap going from requirements specific for Angela to requirements for everyone at the university. Just because Angela needs to complete both courses to get the degree does not mean it has to be the same for everyone else.

E is the correct response. The stimulus clearly states that once Angela finishes both experimental design and developmental psychology, she will have earned the degree. Hence, it follows that if she completes the developmental psychology course, she will have earned a degree in psychology.

OP needs to change the credited OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Time to step up the tempo
Joined: 24 Jun 2010
Posts: 367
Location: Milky way
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2010, 22:58
rgtiwari wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:
On completing both the course in experimental design and the developmental psychology course, Angela will have earned a degree in psychology. Since experimental design, which must be completed before taking developmental psychology, will not be offered until next term, it will be at least two terms before Angela gets her psychology degree

(A) The developmental psychology course Angela needs to take requires two terms to complete.
(B) The course in experimental design is an easier course than the course in developmental psychology.
(C) There are no prerequisites for the course in experimental design.
(D) Anyone who earns a degree in psychology from the university Angela attends will have completed the course in experimental design.
(E) Once Angela completes the developmental psychology course, she will have earned a degree in psychology.


D,E are close, so explain why if choosing one over other.

Answer is d. The question says One has to complete ED and DP to get Psycho degree. Therefore, anyone who has got the degree must have completed ED.

Completing ED and DP does not mean Degree in Psycho. There can be other exams to clear before getting the degree.

Hope I'm clear.


My vote is for D. I agree with rgtiwari.

Xmarksthespot wrote:
D is absolutely wrong. It's a pretty big leap going from requirements specific for Angela to requirements for everyone at the university. Just because Angela needs to complete both courses to get the degree does not mean it has to be the same for everyone else.


I do not agree. The fact that Angela has to wait for at least 2 terms to complete experimental design signifies the importance of the course and it should be a mandatory course for all students.
_________________

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 180
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2010, 02:51
ezhilkumarank wrote:

I do not agree. The fact that Angela has to wait for at least 2 terms to complete experimental design signifies the importance of the course and it should be a mandatory course for all students.


Wrong, Angela doesn't have to wait 2 terms to complete exp des, she needs only 1 term to finish it and then another term to finish psy, complete both and she gets her degree.

There is no where in the argument where it is said that both these courses are required for the degree. It just required for Angela, that's all we know. To conclude: "ALL" is too extreme. Like I said, it could just be 2 elective courses that Angela has to finish to get enough credit to get her degree.

D is WRONG.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 300
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2010, 07:07
My vote for E

D seems to make the assumption that whatever is applicable for Angela is applicable for everyone in the university.
_________________

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2617
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2010, 08:49
1
Vote for E.

(D) Anyone who earns a degree in psychology from the university Angela attends will have completed the course in experimental design.

The author has mentioned that by giving exam Exp and dev , one can earn the degree of psychology. What if giving exam A and B also help someone earning the same degree?
PHD and MBBS both give doctoral degrees, do we have to give same exams?
This is just over generalization.
Moreover, what if these 2 subjects are the last 2 elective subjects? and not the core part of core-curriculum?
in that case others do not have to complete the exp design. This answer actually reverses the causal relationship.

(E) Once Angela completes the developmental psychology course, she will have earned a degree in psychology.

Since without Exp she can not complete dev course => she will have earned a degree after the course.

Comments welcome.

BlueRobin: I would suggest you to write the question properly and if possible on your first post do not ask your question, instead reply to the same post, this will certainly avoid prejudicial inclination towards any option.
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Gmat test review :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 424
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2010, 23:09
BlueRobin wrote:
On completing both the course in experimental design and the developmental psychology course, Angela will have earned a degree in psychology. Since experimental design, which must be completed before taking developmental psychology, will not be offered until next term, it will be at least two terms before Angela gets her psychology degree

(A) The developmental psychology course Angela needs to take requires two terms to complete.
(B) The course in experimental design is an easier course than the course in developmental psychology.
(C) There are no prerequisites for the course in experimental design.
(D) Anyone who earns a degree in psychology from the university Angela attends will have completed the course in experimental design.
(E) Once Angela completes the developmental psychology course, she will have earned a degree in psychology.


D,E are close, so explain why if choosing one over other.



Available information

On completing X and Y, Angie will get certified.
One must take up X before Y.

D)Anyone who gets certfied, had completed X. Yes makes sense.
E)On the completion of Y, One gets certified, Maybe cant say for sure.
_________________

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Keep fighting!
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 206
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2010, 23:25
Guys.. a instructor from Kaplan says - (check out http://www.beatthegmat.com/lsar-cr-psyc ... 39164.html)
Quote:
Either the original poster mistranscribed the problem or else mistranscribed the OA. This is an inference question requiring skill in formal logic (for that reason, it is unlikely that you would get a question like this on the GMAT).

The first sentence of the passage reads:

"On completing both the course in experimental design and the developmental psychology course, Angela will have earned a degree in psychology."

This yields the following conditoinal statement:

If she completes ED AND DP, then she will have earned her psych degree.

The second sentence tells us that ED MUST be completed before DP. Therefore:

If someone has completed DP, then they have also completed ED.

Therefore, if she completes DP, then it is sufficient to conclude that she has also completed ED. And if she completes both DP and ED, then it is sufficient to conclude that she will have earned her psych degree.

Accordingly, Choice E MUST be correct.

Choice D must be wrong. It improperly reverses the initial conditional statement (without negating).

That is, in the first conditional statement, her having earned a psych degree is a conclusion or necessary condition. Choice D is trying to use her having earned a psych degree as a trigger or sufficient condition.

For example, if you are a dog, then you are definitely a mammal. Does that mean that if you are a mammal, you are definitely a dog? That is what choice D is doing.

Folks, GMAT does NOT test these formal logic subtleties.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 511
Re: On completing both the course  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2011, 08:55
1
D is wrong , no where is it stated that experimental design course is needed for a degree in psychology.

the question is specific to angela and hence E.
_________________

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Schools: Sloan '17 (WL)
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Re: On completing both the course in experimental design and the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2013, 05:39
Why is there no question at all? only text and answers
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1062
Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: On completing both the course in experimental design and the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2013, 15:24
juliasanzharova wrote:
Why is there no question at all? only text and answers


I added the question stem. Enjoy the question mate!
Best.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 8
Re: On completing both the course in experimental design and the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2013, 01:10
E for me! D is wrong because the argument states : On completing both the course in experimental design and the developmental psychology course, Angela will have earned a degree in psychology. So it is clear that Angela needs to these two course in order to earn a degree in psychology, but that does not mean that every other student from the same university can earn the same degree by taking these two course. Yes, It should be true that every student from the same university, who took the same courses as Angela in the past will have to take exp des. and dev. psych. to earn the degree in psychology from the same university.

So, D depends upon what courses Angela or other students have taken in the past while they are pursuing the psychology degree from a university.

Hope my reasoning is right!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 112
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: On completing both the course in experimental design and the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2013, 01:46
BlueRobin wrote:
On completing both the course in experimental design and the developmental psychology course, Angela will have earned a degree in psychology. Since experimental design, which must be completed before taking developmental psychology, will not be offered until next term, it will be at least two terms before Angela gets her psychology degree

If the statements above are all true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) The developmental psychology course Angela needs to take requires two terms to complete.
(B) The course in experimental design is an easier course than the course in developmental psychology.
(C) There are no prerequisites for the course in experimental design.
(D) Anyone who earns a degree in psychology from the university Angela attends will have completed the course in experimental design.
(E) Once Angela completes the developmental psychology course, she will have earned a degree in psychology.


Conclusion here is 'it will be at least two terms before Angela gets her psychology degree'
A = No such mention in the question
B = No such mention in the question
C = It could be an option, but if we read carefully there is no such mention in q stem and we can think either ways. There is or there isn't
D = they could take different subjects..no such mention in q stem
E = This is definite, based on the first line, Angela will earn the degree once she completes courses A and B. Since A is pre-requiste to B, once she completes B (implies that she also completed A) she earns the degree.
_________________

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2015
Posts: 70
Schools: Stern '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Re: On completing both the course in experimental design and the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 08:13
Vote for E.

While I was tempted by D, it's important to look back at the text: "On completing both the course in experimental design and the developmental psychology course, Angela will have earned a degree in psychology."

Nowhere does it state that exp design is a a degree requirement. Only that it is necessary for Angela to receive her psych degree. Perhaps the course is a psych elective or fulfills a general elective requirement for the university. The jump from Angela's needs to the overall degree's needs is too large of an assumption, which is why I went with E.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 May 2017
Posts: 63
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Education)
Re: On completing both the course in experimental design and the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 08:13
It's between D and E.

What MUST be true here ??

D ?? Not necessary. What if certain students are offered an exemption from completing the subject 'experimental design' Hence this is not a must be true answer.

E. Must be true given the facts in the passage
GMAT Club Bot
Re: On completing both the course in experimental design and the &nbs [#permalink] 25 Dec 2017, 08:13

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

On completing both the course in experimental design and the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.