It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 17:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2013, 11:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 291

Re: On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2013, 19:26
http://www.beatthegmat.com/sunspot-cycles-t25478.html The OA is E. Kindly refrain from posting ambiguous OAs. It can get very confusing.

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 291

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 68

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2014, 06:30
boeinz wrote:
On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow

B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth

C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles

D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate

E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow

Could you please assist in option D, "believed" modifies cycles or earth or indications or the noun phrase "indications on Earth of sunspot cycles" ? I believe it should modify cycles. Is there a flaw in my understanding ? Verb-ed modifier has a touch rule and hence a modifier is modifying another modifier. Experts please confirm

[color=#007ec6]Would love to get kudos whenever it is due.. Though the mountain is steep, nevertheless once i reach the finishing point, i would enjoy the view [/color]....

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 68

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 03:02

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 07:19

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2015, 09:06
guys, you have to look for 4 wrong answers-> so you will find the right one
;-)

cheers -E

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 618 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 02:10
My 2 cents:

Inverted sentence
1:X is believed to be among the surest indication of something.
X=> The rate .. [Singular]
2:The rate of ... can be seen in the rings visible in the cross section.
3: their trunk in non underline part means we need plural trees.

On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

A. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow
B. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are, it is believed, the rate of tree growth
C. On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles
D. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles, believed to be the tree growth rate
E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow

C Vs E:
E is better than C because of close proximity of the modifier "as..." to "the rate...".

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 618 [0], given: 606

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 03:00
is this an official GMATPrep problem ?

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 403

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7873 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 07:59
A participial phrase appearing at the end of the passage, if not set off by comma, modifies the noun just in front; However, if the participial phrase is set off by a comma from the previous noun, then it need not modify that noun and will usually modify a distant noun, mostly the subject. See the following examples.

1. The rape-accused nervously watched the eyewitness, alarmed by her revelations -- here ‘alarmed by’ modifies the rape accused and not the eyewitness
2. We often hear about politicians corrupted either by money power or muscle power. --- Here ‘corrupted by ‘modifies politicians

C. on Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks. --- Here, because of the comma before 'as seen', the modifier need not necessarily modify the sunspot cycles. It can very well modify the rate

But in ‘E” the problem seems to be that of ‘Earth of sunspot cycles’, which means to imply we have some kind of an earth that is specifically called the ‘earth of sunspot cycles’. This is illogical in the least if not ungrammatical altogether.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7873 [0], given: 363

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 01:11
boeinz wrote:

Can someone explain why C is wrong :cry:

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 411 [1], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
smartguy595 wrote:
boeinz wrote:

Lemme give my 2 cents.

non underlined part 'as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks' is modifying 'tree growth'. It is preferred if it is as close to tree growth as possible.

In option C it is actually modifying sunspots and hence is the wrong option.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 411 [1], given: 69

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 10:02
Divyadisha wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
boeinz wrote:

Lemme give my 2 cents.

non underlined part 'as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks' is modifying 'tree growth'. It is preferred if it is as close to tree growth as possible.

In option C it is actually modifying sunspots and hence is the wrong option.

Divyadisha,

thanks! +1 for you :)

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 296

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 21:11
boeinz wrote:

I prefer E over C.. reason

E says--Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.
when in doubt flip it
on flip--the rate at which trees grow is among the surest indications...also we need trees near to rings visible to call out the intent

C says On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.
well sunspot cycle as seen in rings???absurd

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 296

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 00:46

First thing to know is that no conjunction has the power of making a list plural except "AND". "Amongst the many X's" is always singular
since "AMONG THE MANY INDICATIONS" is the subject of the sentence, the SUBJECT-VERB agreement dictates that we use a singular verb. So we have to use "is" and not "are"
Secondly the meaning of the sentence imply that sunspots are seen "indirectly" on earth for example :-as the growth rings of trees.
A SUNSPOT CANNOT EXIST ON EARTH ON ITS OWN. BUT THE EVIDENCE OF SUNSPOTS CAN EXIST AS SEEN IN THE TREE RINGS.

WRONG:- incorrect SV agreement

WRONG:- add this one to the original sentence and you will see that it implies "sunspots can be in seen tree growth rings."

On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks
ABSURD MEANING:- Trees captured sunspots and now those sunspot are seen in the trees ring.

WRONG:- This one has no auxiliary verb at all . It directly jumps to the main verb "believed"
To make a correct verb phrase we need auxliary verb + main verb = correct verb phrase. We need "is" to make this sentence grammatically correct.

E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow (as seen in the rings)
CORRECT:- Perfect !! correct SV agreement. Correct meaning "Rate" can be "seen" in the relatively thickness of the tree rings. THIS ONE IS BETTER THAN OPTION C BECAUSE SUNPOT CANNOT BE SEEN IN A TREE RING BUT RATE CAN BE SEEN IN A TREE RING (AS IN THICKER RING MEANS MORE GROWTH , THIN RING MEANS LESS GROWTH.

boeinz wrote:

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 00:47

First thing to know is that no conjunction has the power of making a list plural except "AND". "Amongst the many X's" is always singular
since "AMONG THE MANY INDICATIONS" is the subject of the sentence, the SUBJECT-VERB agreement dictates that we use a singular verb. So we have to use "is" and not "are"
Secondly the meaning of the sentence imply that sunspots are seen "indirectly" on earth for example :-as the growth rings of trees.
A SUNSPOT CANNOT EXIST ON EARTH ON ITS OWN. BUT THE EVIDENCE OF SUNSPOTS CAN EXIST AS SEEN IN THE TREE RINGS.

WRONG:- add this one to the original sentence and you will see that it implies "sunspots can be in seen tree growth rings."

On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks
ABSURD MEANING:- Trees captured sunspots and now those sunspot are seen in the trees ring.

WRONG:- This one has no auxiliary verb at all . It directly jumps to the main verb "believed"
To make a correct verb phrase we need auxliary verb + main verb = correct verb phrase. We need "is" to make this sentence grammatically correct.

E. Among the surest indications on Earth of sunspot cycles is believed to be the rate at which trees grow (as seen in the rings)
CORRECT:- Perfect !! correct SV agreement. Correct meaning "Rate" can be "seen" in the relatively thickness of the tree rings.

THIS ONE IS BETTER THAN OPTION C BECAUSE SUNPOT CANNOT BE SEEN IN A TREE RING BUT RATE CAN BE SEEN IN A TREE RING (AS IN THICKER RING MEANS MORE GROWTH , THIN RING MEANS LESS GROWTH.

anmolbhatti wrote:

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 00:48

CORRECT:- Perfect !! correct SV agreement. Correct meaning "Rate" can be "seen" in the relatively thickness of the tree rings. THIS ONE IS BETTER THAN OPTION C BECAUSE SUNPOT CANNOT BE SEEN IN A TREE RING BUT RATE CAN BE SEEN IN A TREE RING (AS IN THICKER RING MEANS MORE GROWTH , THIN RING MEANS LESS GROWTH.

sanjay_gmat wrote:

Guys, besides answering this question, could you also comment on what is "as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks" referring to? seen what?

Director
Director

Show Tags

This post was
BOOKMARKED

Nihit wrote:
. On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed to be the rate that trees grow, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

Director
Director

Show Tags

johnycute wrote:

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 18:35
Very good question.

Another reason to eliminate C - If you plug that option in the original sentence

On Earth, the rate at which trees grow is believed to be among the surest indications of sunspot cycles, as seen in the rings visible in the cross sections of their trunks.

...,the rate...cycles,... will be a non essential modifier and if this is ignored sentence doesn't make sense. Hence C is not the answer

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 50

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2016, 12:10
Acc3ss wrote:
I would say C.

I guess this sentence represents a case of misplaced modifiers.

While C is short and concise; but, I don't think you see sunspot cycles in the rings of trees. It should be indirectly deferred based on how fast trees grow, which are marked by rings in the tree trunks. Therefore E.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 50

Re: On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2016, 12:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 94 posts ] 

On Earth, among the surest indications of sunspot cycles are believed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap