Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618583 [17]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [4]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
On her way home from a business trip, Janice remembers that she needs [#permalink]
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
On her way home from a business trip, Janice remembers that she needs to buy each of her three children a souvenir. At the airport shop, the only items left are two hats, two t-shirts, two posters, and two keychains. How many combinations can she select from if she wants each child to receive a different item?

A. 24
B. 32
C. 40
D. 48
E. 56

to buy from two hats, two t-shirts, two posters, and two keychains

Every child has to get different item so we need 3 out of 4 items first in 4C3 = 4 ways

Now from every item there are 2 ways to pick the item for one child

i.e. Total bways to pick items for children = 4C3 *2 *2 *2 = 4*8 = 32

Answer: Option B

So you're assuming there is 2 different t shirts, 2 different key chains, 2 different posters and 2 different hats? I agree with your solution if that is the case. I assumed they were the same there there are 4 ways to select item 1, 3 ways to select item 2 and 2 ways to select item 3. Or 4X3X2 or 24.

I think Veritas should be clearer on if they mean 2 different items or not. There questions are getting a lot **** as I move through the practice tests. Why the hell not right 2 different hats, 2 different posters. I don't get how the whole question is writing poorly.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [0]
Send PM
Re: On her way home from a business trip, Janice remembers that she needs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
SamBoyle wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
On her way home from a business trip, Janice remembers that she needs to buy each of her three children a souvenir. At the airport shop, the only items left are two hats, two t-shirts, two posters, and two keychains. How many combinations can she select from if she wants each child to receive a different item?

A. 24
B. 32
C. 40
D. 48
E. 56

Every child has to get different item so we need 3 out of 4 items first in 4C3 = 4 ways

So you're assuming there is 2 different t shirts, 2 different key chains, 2 different posters and 2 different hats? I agree with your solution if that is the case. I assumed they were the same there there are 4 ways to select item 1, 3 ways to select item 2 and 2 ways to select item 3. Or 4X3X2 or 24.

I think Veritas should be clearer on if they mean 2 different items or not. There questions are getting a lot **** as I move through the practice tests. Why the hell not right 2 different hats, 2 different posters. I don't get how the whole question is writing poorly.

Giving "Two different shirts" would have been awesome however the question always mentions if the objects are identical so in absence of it you should consider them different and it's not an assumption...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
On her way home from a business trip, Janice remembers that she needs [#permalink]
I guess that's just a GMAT quirk that I'll remember.

I read the items as being the same and found that to be the difficulty of the question. If you told me you had 2 baseballs, I'd assume they were the same baseball and wouldn't need you to tell me you had 2 identical baseballs. I really see no logic in the GMAT thinking it's necessary to say when things are identical but not to say when things are different. That's an esoteric logic system and I believe has only shown up on Veritas not the GMAT itself.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3962 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: On her way home from a business trip, Janice remembers that she needs [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

A. 24
B. 32
C. 40
D. 48
E. 56

Option for 1st child = 8
Option for 2nd child = 6
Option for 3rd child = 4

Since there are 3! Ways to arrange them, Total options = 8*6*4/3! = 32

IMO B

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Other, Other
GRE 1: Q158 V155
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
What I have done is..

All of the ways to select 3 from the 8 total number of gifts - all of the ways to give a child two of the same gifts.
Two of the kids can have the same shirt, poster, keychain, or hat. That leaves 1 child with 6 options and you must select one of them.

So

8 nCr 3 - 4*(6 nCr 1)

56 - 24 = 32

B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 308
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 24
B. 32
C. 40
D. 48
E. 56

Hi GMATinsight,

Don't we need to arrange selected 3 souvenirs in 3! because shuffling the souvenirs among children will create different combinations?

Thank you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Balkrishna wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 24
B. 32
C. 40
D. 48
E. 56

Hi GMATinsight,

Don't we need to arrange selected 3 souvenirs in 3! because shuffling the souvenirs among children will create different combinations?

Thank you.

Hi Balkrishna

The problem is about Janice selecting different combinations for children and it is NOT about children getting the combinations in all possible ways.

So in current form, the problem is simply about her selecting 3 out of 4 souvenirs and does NOT expect Janice to distribute them among children.

If she were to distribute the souvenirs among children then certainly we must have multiplied 3!

I hope that clears your doubt.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22040 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM