Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 935 [57]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [21]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [2]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Send PM
Re: On his trip from Alba to Benton, Julio drove the first x miles at an [#permalink]
Kudos
sandalphon wrote:
On his trip from Alba to Benton, Julio drove the first x miles at an average rate of 50 miles per hour and the remaining distance at an average rate of 60 milesper hour. How long did it take Julio to drive the first x miles?

(a) On this trip, Julio drove for a total of 10 hours and drove a total of 530 miles.

How do you guys calculate for how many miles he drove 50 miles/hour and for ho wmany miles he drove 60 miles an hour?

I'm assuming this is a PS question...
rt=D

I would set it up like this; we will call the 2 segments of the trip A, and B.

....... A ........ B
R ..... 50 ...... 60

T ...... t ....... 10-t

D ....... x ....... 530-x

Derive 2 equations from this.

50t = x
60(10-t) = 530-x

Substitute

600 - 60t = 530 - 50t
Solve for t, you get t = 7... Answer is 7 hours
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Own Kudos [?]: 3137 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: On his trip from Alba to Benton, Julio drove the first x miles at an [#permalink]
Kudos
sandalphon wrote:
On his trip from Alba to Benton, Julio drove the first x miles at an average rate of 50 miles per hour and the remaining distance at an average rate of 60 milesper hour. How long did it take Julio to drive the first x miles?

(a) On this trip, Julio drove for a total of 10 hours and drove a total of 530 miles.

How do you guys calculate for how many miles he drove 50 miles/hour and for ho wmany miles he drove 60 miles an hour?

the complete question is..

On his trip from Alba to Benton, Julia drove the first x miles at an average rate of 50 miles per hour and the remaining distance at an average rate of 60 miles per hour. How long did it take Julio to drive the first x miles ?
1) On his trip, Julio drove for a total of 10 hrs and drove a total of 530 miles
2) On his trip,it took Julio 4 more hours to drive the first x miles than to drive the remaining distance.

Solution:
d=vt

let
d=total distance
t1=total time taken to cover x miles
t2=total time taken to cover d-x miles (the remaining miles)

t1=x/50 ; t2=(d-x)/60 ----> we have these equations before even looking at the statemenets

statement(1)
t1+t2=10; d=530
put the values in the above equations

x/50 + (530-x)/60 = 10

no need to calculate x's value. just looking at the equation, we can see that x's value can be determined and, thus, the value of t1 can be determined.

SUFFICIENT

statement(2)
t1=t2+4
we still don't know the value of d, so we can't calculate the value of t1.

INSUFFICIENT

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [2]
Given Kudos: 315
 Q44  V19 GMAT 2: 570  Q44  V25 GMAT 3: 590  Q48  V23
WE 1: 5.0
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
On his trip from Alba to Benton, Julio drove the first x miles at an average rate of 50 miles per hour and the remaining distance at an average rate of 60 miles per hour. How long did it take Julio to drive the first X miles?

(1) On this trip, Julio drove for a total of 10 hours and a total of 530 miles --> \(total \ time=10=\frac{x}{50}+\frac{530-x}{60}\) --> we have the linear equation with one unknown, so we can solve for \(x\). Sufficient.

(2) On this trip, it took Julio 4 more hours to drive the first x miles than to drive the remaining distance --> \(\frac{x}{50}=\frac{y}{60}+4\), where \(y\) is the remaining distance --> we have the linear equation with two unknowns, so we can not solve for \(x\). Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

i've got sufficient with (1)
However with (2), we are told that : "it took Julio 4 more hours to drive the first x miles than to drive the remaining distance " can we have the fomular as folow:
r1 = 50m/h
r2 = 60m/h
1 hour: we have the difference miles between the first x mile and the remaining = 10m
=> with 4 hours: we can find the distance of the remaining distance = x + (10m/h x 4h) = x + 40miles
=> we have the equation with one unknown as we have solved the remaining distance.
Please tell me where i did get the wrong refers?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
MICKEYXITIN wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
On his trip from Alba to Benton, Julio drove the first x miles at an average rate of 50 miles per hour and the remaining distance at an average rate of 60 miles per hour. How long did it take Julio to drive the first X miles?

(1) On this trip, Julio drove for a total of 10 hours and a total of 530 miles --> \(total \ time=10=\frac{x}{50}+\frac{530-x}{60}\) --> we have the linear equation with one unknown, so we can solve for \(x\). Sufficient.

(2) On this trip, it took Julio 4 more hours to drive the first x miles than to drive the remaining distance --> \(\frac{x}{50}=\frac{y}{60}+4\), where \(y\) is the remaining distance --> we have the linear equation with two unknowns, so we can not solve for \(x\). Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

However with (2), we are told that : "it took Julio 4 more hours to drive the first x miles than to drive the remaining distance " can we have the fomular as folow:
r1 = 50m/h
r2 = 60m/h
1 hour: we have the difference miles between the first x mile and the remaining = 10m
=> with 4 hours: we can find the distance of the remaining distance = x + (10m/h x 4h) = x + 40miles
=> we have the equation with one unknown as we have solved the remaining distance.

Remaining distance, \(y\), won't be \(x+40\). If \(t\) is the time to cover \(y\) then the time to cover \(x\) will be \(t+4\) then \(x=(t+4)*50=50t+200\).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
 Q44  V19 GMAT 2: 570  Q44  V25 GMAT 3: 590  Q48  V23
WE 1: 5.0
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
MICKEYXITIN wrote:
r1 = 50m/h
r2 = 60m/h

Remaining distance, \(y\), won't be \(x+40\). If \(t\) is the time to cover \(y\) then the time to cover \(x\) will be \(t+4\) then \(x=(t+4)*50=50t+200\).

thanks Bunuel, how foolish i am
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 748 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Finance
 Q49  V19 GMAT 2: 620  Q44  V31
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Send PM
Kudos
On his trip from Alba to Benton, Julio drove the first x miles at an average rate of 50 miles per hour and the remaining distance at an average rate of 60 miles per hour. How long did it take Julio to drive the first x miles?
1) On this trip, Julio drove for a total of 10 hours and drove a total of 530 miles.
2) On this trip, it took Julio 4 more hours to drive the first x miles than to drive the remaining distance.

From the statement :

If the total distance is D.

(x/50) + + (D-x)/60 = Total Time

Now from (1), (x/50) + + (D-x)/60 =10
and D = 530
From the above two equation x can be calculated and so x/50. Hence sufficient

From (2), x/50 + 4 = (D-x)/50
One equation and two unknown ,Hence impossible to find out x. ( Not sufficient)

Therefore answer in (A).
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
sandalphon wrote:

(1) On this trip, Julio drove for a total of 10 hours and a total of 530 miles
(2) On this trip, it took Julio 4 more hours to drive the first x miles than to drive the remaining distance

How do you guys calculate for how many miles he drove 50 miles/hour and for how many miles he drove 60 miles an hour?

the answer is A.
i created two expressions
time traveled first x miles: x/50
time traveled remaining part: D-x/60, where D is the total distance.

1. D = 530, and we can write:
x/50 + 530-x/60 = 10 -> we can solve for X, we can find x/50 - sufficient.

2. x/50 - D-x/60 = 4 -> we still have 2 unknowns, we can't answer the question - not sufficient.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 924
GPA: 4
Send PM
I think a lot of people are thinking too hard with this one.

If we are given both the total time and the total speed, we can calculate the average rate as \(\frac{530}{10}=53\) From thereon, it becomes a mixture problem. 53 means that the rates of 50 and 60 were mixed in the ratio 7:3, and therefore the total time driven at each of these rates is 3:7 (as time is the inverse of speed).

Absolutely no reason to do any time-consuming calculations. Always try higher-level thinking first
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
On his trip from Alba to Benton, Julio drove the first x miles at an average rate of 50 miles per hour and the remaining distance at an average rate of 60 miles per hour. How long did it take Julio to drive the first x miles?

(1) On this trip, Julio drove for a total of 10 hours and drove a total of 530 miles.

Lets think about what this statement is telling us. If Julio drove 10 hours at a rate of 60 miles per hour, Julio would have drove 600 miles. If Julio drove 10 miles at 50 miles per hour, Julio drove 500 miles. We are told Julio drove for a total of 10 hours and 530 miles. 530 is weighted more heavily towards 50 with a ratio of 7 : 3. Therefore, Julio drove 7 hours at a rate of 50 miles per hours. Sufficient.

(2) On this trip, it took Julio 4 more hours to drive the first x miles than to drive the remaining distance.

We don't know the total distance. Insufficient.

Answer is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
1). x/50+(530-x)/60=10, so, x can be solve out and x/50 will be the answer
2). The time cost on two distances could be 5h, 1h; 6h, 2h;... insufficient.
Answer is A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
sandalphon wrote:

(1) On this trip, Julio drove for a total of 10 hours and drove a total of 530 miles.
let the time taken in x miles be t then x/t=50 ; 530-x/10-t=60
=>2 eqns and 2 variable we can definitely get t
Clearly suff

(2) On this trip, it took Julio 4 more hours to drive the first x miles than to drive the remaining distance.
t1=50/x;t2=60/y-x where y is the total distance
since this is 2 eqn and 3 variable we cannot solve for the variables without another equation therefore
IMO A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5900
Send PM
sandalphon wrote:

How do you guys calculate for how many miles he drove 50 miles/hour and for how many miles he drove 60 miles an hour?

Hi BrentGMATPrepNow, for St2, can we not assume second x miles as 100 - x here? Therefore is sufficient?
x/50 = 4 + (100-x)/60
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29909 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Kimberly77 wrote:
sandalphon wrote:

Hi BrentGMATPrepNow, for St2, can we not assume second x miles as 100 - x here? Therefore is sufficient?
x/50 = 4 + (100-x)/60

Where did you get 100 miles as the total distance?
There's nothing in the question that suggests the total distance from Alba to Benton is 100 miles.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts