Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Completely agree with Hjort, i think you need to make sure your recommender realizes (what is the first question for most mba programs)"What are your achievements, LT and ST goals, Why an MBA, why now?
Also sometimes recommenders forget specific task you do for them so make sure u remind them of how wonderful u have been at ur job. Incase things have been rocky point to the changes you have made.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
paper LOR [#permalink]
Hi Hjort,
Thank you for the valuable info. I'm in a situation where my direct supervisor has agreed to fill in the recommendations. The issue is
    - His English is not that good
    - I’m not 100% confident that he would write what I’m looking for
I'm thinking of having him write on official letterhead, would that be a viable option? I know that most schools don't accept paper based LOR, but what should I do? Schools are stressing on the importance of getting a LOR from my current supervisor.

Please help, thanks!
A7mad
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
some qs on LORs. [#permalink]
Hi Hjort, always appreciate your helpful comments.

How does NOT waiving my right to review the recommendation affect the candidacy?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
The general wisdom seems to be that letter writers will be more candid if they know that the student will not have access to the letter. Thus, some readers might view the "unwaived" letter as less credible than a "waived" letter.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thank you very much! [#permalink]
You do have a point there.

One of my recommenders gave me a copy of his recommedation, and I only found out later that he completely misunderstood the question and gave a wrong answer.

So far, I think I've got 1 good recommendation letter and a not-so-well-done (already submitted) recommedation. What do you think? Should I just forget about it and get on with the rest of my application?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you want, you could find a third letter writer and submit that one as well. I would draw a distinction between poor letters-

1) In your case when it seems like the writer just did not understand his/her assignment and wrote a letter that failed to address the question

2) A letter where the writer gives only mild praise (e.g. Candidate X is a somewhat competent employee within the confines of his limited abilities and responsibilities)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Hjort,

I am planning to apply for fall 2007.

My supervisors, whom I rely on a lot, resigned from my company and currently work elsewhere. Do you think it makes sence to refer for LORs to those guys whom i worked with 5-6 years ago rather than to my current managers. Do BSs require that LORs be from the most recent supervisors.

thanks,
skuchkarov.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Five or six years is a pretty long time so I would take a serious look at your other options.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks Hjort,

that is what I thought too. It may give an impression as if I have not achieved much recently.

How about LORs from managers/supervisors vs. LORs from academic advisors/professors?
For instance, if a school asks for 3 LORs, is that ok to send 2 from managers and 1 from a professor? How about if the school asks for 2 LORs only. Do you think it would be a good idea to send 1 LOR from a manager and another one from a professor?

Do you think LORs from people other than managers and professors, from a mayor of a city for example, will be any good?

Sorry if I asked too many questions.

thanks,
skuchkarov
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Do adcomms draw a distinction between LORs from current supervisors and ones from previous supervisors?

In my particular case, I started a new job in April and am not comfortable asking my current supervisor for a LOR since an acceptance from a business school would mean I would be leaving the company. In addition, I have two fantastic LOR candidates at my previous company that would certainly be willing to give me high praise.

Would adcomms look down on my app if I didn't include a LOR from a current supervisor?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
How about a recommendation letter from a subordinate? Do you think it could be construed that the person was under pressure to give a good recommendation? Which do you think is better from a Manager or from a sub ordinate?

Thanks!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
A superior would generally be better. A subordinate is probably less experienced than the superior and thus has less of a perspective for judging your ability. Further, there might be an element of the subordinate not being completely honest in his/her appraisal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What about a letter from a client of my company? I handle their account on a day-to-day basis and work very closely with them. It's more of a partnership than a buyer/seller relationship. We have a 2 year relationship, and this person could write a very detailed letter highlighting my teamwork, leadership, and positive qualities.

This letter would of course but the second recommendation, the first being from my direct supervisor.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
clients are commonly suggested as good recommenders in addition to your supervisor, so i think that would be great for you
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Re: On Letters of Recommendation [#permalink]
Hjort,
My manager from the company I worked at before is no longer there. How about a rec from an employee (Senior engineer) whom I worked directly under for a few months on a project. He is directly under the eng mgr in ranking and can attest to my work ethic, personality , etc.

Do you think this would substitute as a "supervisor" rec?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: On Letters of Recommendation [#permalink]