Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [82]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [32]
Given Kudos: 392
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [14]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 255
Concentration: Economics, International Business
Schools: ISB '19 Fox"19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: On the number line shown, the distance between 0 and a . . . [#permalink]
Let dist between a and 0 be x,then that between a and b would be 2x,and between b and C would be x.
Mod b-15 = 2* Mod 15-a
So, x= 9
Therefore mod c = 27

Sent from my HM 1SW using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [14]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Alright, let's look at the detailed solution of the above question. Let's use the concept of absolute value \(|p-q|\) as the distance between the point p and q on the number line to solve this question.

Given
The following information is given in the question.
    • Points a, b and c such that \(c > b > a\)
    • \(a: (b – a) : (c – a) = 1: 2: 3\)
    • \(|b – 15| = 2 * |a-15|\) (We are taking the absolute values here, as we do not know the position of 15 with respect to a and b. For example, if \(b > 15\), then \(|b – 15| = b – 15\) but if b < 15, then\(|b – 15| = (15 - b)\)

Let’s assume the value of a to be x.
Hence, \(b-a = 2x\) and substituting the value of a, we get the value of \(b = 3x\)
Similarly, the value of \(c = 4x\)

To find
As, we need to find |c|, which is the distance of c from the origin, we can say that \(|c| = 4x\)

Approach and Working Out
Now, we are given the relationship between the distance of points a and b with respect to 15. However, we do not know the position of 15 with respect to a and b on the number line. So, the following cases can occur depending upon the position of 15 on the number line:

o Distance between 15 and \(a = a – 15 = x – 15\) (as a is greater than 15)
    o Distance between 15 and b = \(b – 15 = 3x – 15\) (as b is greater than 15)
    o \(3x – 15 = 2*(x – 15)\) {as \(|b – 15| = 2 * |a-15|\)}
    o \(3x – 15 = 2x – 30\)
    o \(x = -15\), which is not possible as x is the coordinate of a point that lies on the right hand side of 0, i.e. it is positive. So, \(x > 0\).
    o Thus, we can reject this case.

o Distance between 15 and a = \(15 – a = 15 – x\) (as 15 is greater than a)
    o Distance between 15 and b = \(b – 15 = 3x – 15\) (as b is greater than 15)
    o \(3x – 15 = 2*(15 – x)\){as \(|b – 15| = 2 * |a-15|\)}
    o \(3x – 15 = 30 – 2x\)
    o \(5x = 45\), i.e. \(x = 9\).
    o In this case we have assumed that \(a < 15\). So, \(x < 15\) (As the coordinate of point a is x). Also \(x > 0\), since it is the coordinate of a point that lies on the right hand side of 0.
    o So, \(0 < x< 15\). As we have calculated \(x = 9\), this is a possible case
    o We have calculated above, the value of \(c = 4x\). So, we have \(4x = 36\)

o Distance between 15 and a = \(15 – a = 15 – x\) (as 15 is greater than a)
    o Distance between 15 and b = \(15 – b = 15 – 3x\) (as 15 is greater than b)
    o \(15 – 3x = 2*( 15 – x)\) {as \(|b – 15| = 2 * |a-15|\) }
    o \(15 – 3x = 30 – 2x\), i.e. \(x = -15\),
    o We know that \(x > 0\). So, \(x = -15\) is not a valid value.
    o Thus, we can reject this case.

Therefore, the value of |c|is 36
Correct Answer: C

Originally posted by EgmatQuantExpert on 28 Nov 2016, 06:25.
Last edited by EgmatQuantExpert on 04 Dec 2016, 23:50, edited 4 times in total.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nailin16 wrote:
Let dist between a and 0 be x,then that between a and b would be 2x,and between b and C would be x.
Mod b-15 = 2* Mod 15-a
So, x= 9
Therefore mod c = 27

Sent from my HM 1SW using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

You have correctly calculated the value of x i.e. the distance between point a and 0 on the number line.
However, the value of |c| is 4x, and hence the answer would be 36.

Kindly review our solution above to understand where you went wrong.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
khiemchii wrote:
From: "The distance between 0 and a, a and b, and a and c is in the ratio of 1:2:3"
Set a= 1, we have b = 3 and c =4
=> a : b : c is in the ratio of 1 : 3 : 4
=> c is divisible by 4
=> c is 36
C

There is a small flaw in your approach. You seem to have assumed c as a multiple of 4, which may not be the case always. For instance, let's look at a slightly different version of the same question.

On the number line shown, the distance between 0 and a, a and b, and a and c is in the ratio of 1:2:3. If the distance of point b from 11.25 is twice the distance of point a from 15, what is the value of |c|?

A. 9
    B. 27
    C. 36
    D. 45
    E. 54

Solve this question using the approach mentioned by you and also using the solution provided by us. If you use the approach mentioned by you in your response, you will still the answer as 36 (Choice C). However, the answer to this modified version would be 27 (choice B), which is clearly not a multiple of 4.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

If the distance of point b from 15 is twice the distance of point a from 15

In your previous explanation you have also placed the point "15" to the left of A and to the right of B, but would this even be possible given the above limitation? Given the order of the letters, the only way I can see this condition being met is if 15 is 1/3 on the line between A and B.

I would appreciate your response.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
koenh wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

If the distance of point b from 15 is twice the distance of point a from 15

In your previous explanation you have also placed the point "15" to the left of A and to the right of B, but would this even be possible given the above limitation? Given the order of the letters, the only way I can see this condition being met is if 15 is 1/3 on the line between A and B.

I would appreciate your response.

Yes, you're absolutely right. :)

We have taken these cases as Case I (15 to the left of a or a>15) and Case III (15 to the right of B, 15>b). However, if you go through our explanation in details, you will understand that we have also concluded that these cases are not possible. Hence, the only case possible is Case II, in which 15 lies between a and b. The same has been explained in details in the solution.

The reason why we have discussed all possibilities is to ensure that we critically analyze all cases before arriving at a conclusion. Doing so, is extremely important while solving GMAT questions.

Regards,
Saquib
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1353 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM