Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1713 [87]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [14]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1713 [8]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]
Kudos
I have a doubt.
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet

In option D, both parts of main clause and subordinate clause are in passive voice, but subjects are not comparable.
As per my observation, subjects in subordinate clause and main clause must be comparable.

If sentence had been written as following it would have been much better.

Once the computer is used to generate financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet.

I am not 100% sure that construction as in D is acceptable in official answers. Kindly help understand whether gmat is strict with comparable subject rule.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Game wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
akhil911 wrote:
Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.

A. Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements balance.
B. Once the computer generates the financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrated the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
C. Once the computer generates the financial reports they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, which demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
E. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.

Responding to a pm:

Note that (A), (C) and (E) are wrong in their usage of 'they'.
'financial reports' cannot program a balance sheet and hence the pronoun used must refer back to the computer. Hence, we need to use 'it'.
In (B) and (D), we use 'it' (singular) which refers back to the computer (singular). It cannot refer back to financial reports (plural) and hence there is no ambiguity in pronoun-antecedent connection.

The problem with (B) is 'named such...'. The correct construct is 'so named ...'
We do prefer active over passive but that has no role to play here. Sentences in passive are not incorrect. It is just a preference we have for active because it is stronger. If there is an error in the sentence that uses active voice and the sentence using passive voice is error-free, you must choose the sentence using passive voice.

I got the split between "they" and "it" wrong and so I eliminated options with "it" :(

My logic was that "financial reports" can be used to program a balance sheet. I did not want to change the original intent of the sentence and pick an option that states that "computer is used to program a company-wide balance sheet".''

I am assuming that below statement is correct
Financial reports are used to program a company-wide balance sheet.

I know I am wrong and the OA does not have "they" in the sentence. If someone can help me understand why my logic in the above highlighted section is incorrect, it would help me avoid using such faulty logic in other sentences :)

Note that "financial reports" cannot program (a verb) a balance sheet. They can be used by a computer while it is programming a balance sheet.
Hence, "financial reports" cannot be used to program a balance sheet.

These are accuracy in meaning errors. Harder to catch but tested a lot in GMAT nowadays.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [2]
Send PM
Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
tinbq wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
akhil911 wrote:
Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.

A. Once the computer generates the financial reports, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements balance.
B. Once the computer generates the financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrated the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
C. Once the computer generates the financial reports they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, which demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because it demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
E. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, they are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, named such because it demonstrates that every department’s accounting elements are in balance.

Responding to a pm:

'financial reports' cannot program a balance sheet and hence the pronoun used must refer back to the computer. Hence, we need to use 'it'.
In (B) and (D), we use 'it' (singular) which refers back to the computer (singular). It cannot refer back to financial reports (plural) and hence there is no ambiguity in pronoun-antecedent connection.

The problem with (B) is 'named such...'. The correct construct is 'so named ...'
We do prefer active over passive but that has no role to play here. Sentences in passive are not incorrect. It is just a preference we have for active because it is stronger. If there is an error in the sentence that uses active voice and the sentence using passive voice is error-free, you must choose the sentence using passive voice.

Hi KarishmaB,

There is also a pronoun ambiguity issue in choice B. The pronoun 'it' refers to both 'the computer' and 'a balance-sheet'. So would you please share your thinking process of choosing B instead of D over this issue?

Thanks

There really isn't. If you are able to understand what is being referred to then it is fine.

Consider another example: Once the computer generates a balance sheet, it is then used to forecast the company revenue for next year.

Now, what does 'it' refer to? We are not sure. Either could be used to forecast the numbers. Though we might lean toward 'the computer' since 'it' is the subject too. But some clarity would be better.

Look at option (D):

it - computer
'so named' is modifying 'company-wide balance sheet.' The 'because clause' after it tells us why it is so named. Hence, 'it' clearly refers to 'balance sheet.'

Try to put 'the computer' in its place:

Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet, so named because the computer demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.

This says that the balance sheet is called a balance sheet because the computer demonstrates the balance of every department’s accounting elements.
Does it make any sense? No.

Hence, there is no ambiguity here. The point of the language is to communicate intent. If your sentence is communicating the intent clearly, it is not ambiguous.

tinbq
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
WoundedTiger wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
I have a doubt.
D. Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet

In option D, both parts of main clause and subordinate clause are in passive voice, but subjects are not comparable.
As per my observation, subjects in subordinate clause and main clause must be comparable.

Once the computer is used to generate financial reports, it is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet.

I am not 100% sure that construction as in D is acceptable in official answers. Kindly help understand whether gmat is strict with comparable subject rule.

I chose D because it was the best among the not so good answer choices...could you elaborate a bit more on what the rule is for main clause and sub ordinate clause...is it from MGMAT sc book??

Hi refer following questions :
mgmat:
rather-than-accept-the-conventional-wisdom-that-the-earth-54231.html
OG 11 Q86:
although-early-soap-operas-were-first-aired-on-evening-radio-19819.html

In these questions voice parallelism is the main reason that makes one choice acceptable to others.

In MGMAT SC chapter 7, Page 116, it is mentioned not to worry about active passive parallelism through out a sentence, but provided example describes 2 ICs connected with coordinating conjunction. Thus, for ICs connected with CC I can confirm not to worry about active passive parallelism, but it is required for sentence connected with subordinate conjunction. I am not a native and so I am not 100% sure how far we can stretch this rule. Sometimes back I asked Mike to help on this, but I forgot to followup further: refer following thread. I will PM him to explain this concept and exceptions on following thread.

inertia-gravity-waves-cause-characteristic-stripy-patterns-167234.html
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PiyushK wrote:
I have a doubt.

Often, subject of subordinate clause is the same as the subject of the main clause, but that is only because both usually talk about the same person/thing. It is not necessary for the two subjects to be the same. Check simple sentences:
I will go shopping unless it rains.
Don't leave before he comes.

The subjects are not the same but the sentences are correct.

Your sentence is better but that is the thing about SC - you will not always get what you want. If the answer is very obvious, then what will make it a difficult question? At higher levels, GMAT could play with correct but infrequently used structures and false beliefs of people such as 'passive voice is always wrong'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [1]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
It's only in verbal section that I get pissed off.
I read wrong explanation for the correct answer.
Financial report is generated and CAN BE USED to program balance sheet. Bringing extraneous meaning to disprove the grammar is really funny.
So named is right. Named Such is wrong.
I don't know why nobody pointed that out.
I've quickly noticed that SC tests your grammar more than it tests anything else.
If you doubted that financial reports are used to programme balance sheet, then why would you believe that the computer is used?
Actually it is Programming Language that is used to programme things not the computer. or you can try to use your PC to programme without BASIC or C++ or ORACLE. Now that's wrong again. it is the programmer that programmes not the Language.
MY POINT: Look at the grammar rules not the critical reasoning. SC is a quite diff from CR. "Named such" ruled E out.
Would be hard to find such a clumsy statement as the correct answer in GMAT SC.
When it gets tough, start eliminating.
Thank you guys.
The answer is D.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nej
Hi
I appreciate your point of view although I may have to differ from you. You seem to imply that Veritas is wrong in its interpretation that computer generates the reports saying that it is the programmer who does the job. Absolutely no issue about it.

But to say that In SC, we can relegate meaning behind grammar is untenable. Because you see, the meaning analysis is a recent insertion in SC before which probably GMAT was content with just grammar. Then why has GMAT brought this meaning factor into the picture and lately been giving equal weight or even more, to meaning? GMAT has made it clear that between two choices that may be grammatically correct, it is the ‘better – meaning’ one that wins the context. So you can see why meaning is indispensable and not subordinate to grammar in GMAT.

SC is not just mechanical but reasoning too IMO. In a similar argument, can we dispense with the reasoning in RC, because RC is about Comprehension?
The point of GMAT is not to look at things in disparate modules but take an integrated outlook.

This is just my philosophy although it is no reflection on your thesis. I do appreciate your point of view nevertheless, I repeat.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Here u go again. I did not say we can relegate meaning over grammar. I said "SC tests your grammar more than it tests anything else".
You are disproving your "perception" not what I said. read my lips.
Sentence correction primarily remains SC. "Oh mountain! come to the rivers" remains more correct than "Mr John come Oh! to me".

But the right one is meaningless.
Though meaningful in the context of the lexis n grammar.

A"I did say such cos such matters that I say such"
or
B " I did say that and it matters"

The first has more meaning but redundant and heavy.
the second has less meaning.
which is your answer in a GMAT SC?

my point: meaning is important and less confusing statements matter.
But which is the big guy in SC?
your confusion or the grammar?
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [1]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
dddmatsu I will go with separate logic, but I am sure this will work as feasible as other will.

So, among options after first Clause it is/ they pronoun are been used. Let's see what the clause states, ____ is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet. Reports can't be used to program its a machine thing or specifically a computer thing, so the pronoun antecedent here is computer(singular) not reports(plural), so A,C and E are automatically eliminated.

Among B and D,
The word demonstrated shows the past tense while the author intends to say the computer is still use to demonstrates. Hence B is eliminated.

There can be N no. Of disparity between options in SC but going after idiom can be a little tricky when there are so many to learn or understand. Hopefully this solves your query.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [1]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
dddmatsu wrote:
So, among options after first Clause it is/ they pronoun are been used. Let's see what the clause states, ____ is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet. Reports can't be used to program its a machine thing or specifically a computer thing, so the pronoun antecedent here is computer(singular) not reports(plural), so A,C and E are automatically eliminated.

--------------

Thank you but I have doubt for the bolded part reasoning, just as someone pointed out in this conversation...

I would use the computer to program a consolidated BS but I would also use financial reports to do so... and I could program a consolidated BS even without a computer but with financial reports of the company's subsidiaries, couldn't I (How people in 1960s did so if doing so required a computer, which was not available then)?
So eliminating A, C, and E just because they have "they" is not a right way for me...

What about "named such"? Why is it wrong? Only because it is a wrong idiom?

Yes you can use reports to generate balance sheet but the key word is program here, how can you program the balace sheet in printed paper? You must be needing any gadget to program it. The antecedent of it/they are two in first clause, either computer or reports.
If it was given, ____ is then used to make company wide balance sheet, then the sentence would have become ambiguous. We know the programming is done through any technological gadget hence it has to signifies computer as reports (printed papers) can't program.

Answering to the other part, there is no such difference between two, "So named Because", is an active voice because it acted on verb demonstrates first handedly.

"Named such because" Is a passive voice because it's already been named because it demonstrates something.

Active voice is preferred over passive voice but you don't actually have to indulge in the difference till you have other error spots to locate on. Because none of the two idiom is wrong, it might create confusion at the D-Day, so it's better to check for other errors.

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gloomybison wrote:
VeritasKarishma

Hi Karishma,

I think "it" and "they" are both possible in this sentence
Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, they (financial reports) are then used to program a company-wide balance sheet
Once the financial reports are generated by the computer, it (computer) is then used to program a company-wide balance sheet
You can literally use financial reports to program a balance sheet (you can use the report inputs etc.), also, you can use a computer to program a balance sheet (basically programming a model etc.)
Secondly, what makes "so named" right but "named such" wrong?

I have taken this question in detail here:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/1 ... -sc-myths/
The post discusses why "it" makes sense.

"so named" is the correct idiomatic usage.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2284 [0]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
PiyushK wrote:
I have a doubt.

I chose D because it was the best among the not so good answer choices...could you elaborate a bit more on what the rule is for main clause and sub ordinate clause...is it from MGMAT sc book??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
akhil911 wrote:

Responding to a pm:

I got the split between "they" and "it" wrong and so I eliminated options with "it" :(

My logic was that "financial reports" can be used to program a balance sheet. I did not want to change the original intent of the sentence and pick an option that states that "computer is used to program a company-wide balance sheet".''

I am assuming that below statement is correct
Financial reports are used to program a company-wide balance sheet.

I know I am wrong and the OA does not have "they" in the sentence. If someone can help me understand why my logic in the above highlighted section is incorrect, it would help me avoid using such faulty logic in other sentences :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [0]
Send PM
Here u go again. I did not say we can relegate meaning over grammar. I said "SC tests your grammar more than it tests anything else".
You are disproving your "perception" not what I said. read my leaps.
Sentence correction primarily remains SC. "Oh mountain! come to the rivers" remains more correct than "Mr John come Oh! to me".

But the right one is meaningless.
Though meaningful in the context of the lexis n grammar.

A"I did say such cos such matters that I say such"
or
B " I did say that and it matters"

The first has more meaning but redundant and heavy.
the second has less meaning.
which is your answer in a GMAT SC?

my point: meaning is important and less confusing statements matter.
But which is the big guy in SC?
your confusion or the grammar?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mr. Nez,
If you thought so, be that as it may. But your confirmation that D is the correct answer in spite of it being the wrong meaning points to your altered intention. In any case, why did you have to repeat your last message twice? Are you confused?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [0]
Send PM
You presume a knowledge of the author's knowledge.
How do you know which has the wrong meaning?
*laughing*
in your question.
certainly I'm not. But I would have asked same of me if I were you. you threw the coin back to me:
believe me it's a good thing to do sometimes.
ensures some balance.
The repetition anyway suggests confusion really.
But if you look deeper you are certain to find there was a correction in the post.
I thought you are great critical thinker. sorry, I mean to say "I'm sure" not "think".
In veritas: I cannot say they are wrong. no way. they probably have insider in GMAC or Pearson. who knows.
But if you follow strict GMAT grammar lexis rules you'd be an SC assassin. but that's the hardest part really.
we try to boycott it with presumptuous understanding of the author's intention. but sometimes, it fails.. though it seems easier to do.
P.S. I haven't implied anyone is wrong pls. in fact sir you are more right than me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
OK; Cool; I understand; I appreciate you thinking.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts