GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

One of the greatest problems facing Engineering

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: One of the greatest problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2011, 08:38
@MBAhereIcome:

Is it really bad? Just for the heck of it, can you please google ”one of the problems facing” , and you can see so many such sentences. This is just a metaphoric expression and not to be taken too literally

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Sep 2011, 12:14
Quote:
One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, is remaining empathetic to the needs of patients in the face of all the rigorous training

A. facing Engineering practitioners today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, is remaining

B. facing Engineering practitioners today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, is to remain

C. faced by engineering practitioners today apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, which remain

D. faced by Engineering practitioners today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, and they remain

E. facing Engineering practitioners today, is absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, and besides remaining

Answer: A
Perfectly parallel - 'facing ... remaining...'

Let me try to explain why it should be 'remaining' and not 'to remain'.
It is true that the portion 'apart............scientific thought' is extra information and we should be able to read the sentence without this part completely. And so it seems like there is no need for parallelism between this portion and the rest of the sentence (i.e. the main portion).

However, because the main portion talks about 'one of these problems' and the portion 'apart...........scientific thought' tells us exactly what are the other problems that are part of this set of problems, there is a need for parallelism ('remaining', 'absorbing' and 'learning'), simply because they all belong to the same pot of problems.

Hence, A and not B. Hope that helps!

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Originally posted by gmatopoeia on 08 Sep 2011, 11:47.
Last edited by gmatopoeia on 08 Sep 2011, 12:14, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2011, 12:10
yup... go with the crowd... A for // ism
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: One of the greatest problems facing Engineering  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2012, 17:47
one of+plural noun+plural verb. this makes a, b wrong. can help me explain this.?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2012, 03:44
Answer is A.

Basically, the problem tests parallelism (and tenses), to wit: problems facing.....is remaining...
Option A uses the correct tense (present continuous) to illustrate the fact that the engineering issue is still on-going.

The closest (but wrong) contender is B, but that uses "to remain" instead of "is remaining."

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2012, 05:40
144144 wrote:
the "apart" is splitted from the main sentence by commas. so we should be able to read the sentence without this part completely. Whats the source for this question?

Exactly my thought. Why should it be parallel to absorbing and learning?
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2012, 08:34
Setting off in commas, is only to assert the importance of one over the other. It does not mean that you can ignore the inessential modifiers and be happy with the rest.

Take the following case:

The Brazilian football team, though considered the best in the world, was thoroughly mauled in the field by relatively obscure teams

Can we say that the said team being considered the best in the world has no relevance in the context? After all its ignominious defeat at the hands of relatively obscure teams is even more accentuated by its being considered the best in the world.

Take another case:

My family, apart from my wife and mother, consists of my two children.

This sentence may make a perfectly constructed grammatical sentence, without the parenthesis, but does it make complete sense without the inessential modifiers?

So, let us not just look at the bare structure. Let us also look at the totality of the context, which is what GMAT is trying to insist these days IMO.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2012, 10:06
Warlock wrote

Quote:
According to A the structure would be
one of the greatest problems .............is remaining........ (well this makes no sense at all and the sentence looks like a fragment)

only B makes sense
there should be nothing parallel
first of all in GMAT we should see if the correct choice does make any sense
hence my choice is B

I am surprised that,

One of the greatest problems is remaining makes no sense, while
One of the greatest problems is to remain makes good sense.
In other words, i am unable to understand what sense is absent in A that one may find abundantly in B just by changing from remaining to remain? Can you kindly elucidate?

In addition, May I know the justification for calling A a fragment, unless there is some perceptional difference in the understanding of what a fragment is. There is a solid verb namely is in the sentence. If A is a fragment, how can B be a full-fledged clause, just because of a change from gerund to an infinitive?

Thanks in advance

Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2012, 13:06
facing, absorbing, learning, remaining ;)
Only option A provides that parallelism
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2012, 22:30
daagh wrote:
Setting off in commas, is only to assert the importance of one over the other. It does not mean that you can ignore the inessential modifiers and be happy with the rest.

Take the following case:

The Brazilian football team, though considered the best in the world, was thoroughly mauled in the field by relatively obscure teams

Can we say that the said team being considered the best in the world has no relevance in the context? After all its ignominious defeat at the hands of relatively obscure teams is even more accentuated by its being considered the best in the world.

Take another case:

My family, apart from my wife and mother, consists of my two children.

This sentence may make a perfectly constructed grammatical sentence, without the parenthesis, but does it make complete sense without the inessential modifiers?

So, let us not just look at the bare structure. Let us also look at the totality of the context, which is what GMAT is trying to insist these days IMO.

Thanks, I understand your point and agree that setting off in comma doesn't mean that you can ignore that part. Like the second case you mentioned here does not make sense to me without inessential part. But now if change this sentence to this :
John, apart from Michael and Rose, is one of the members of students committee.
Doesn't it make perfect sense if I remove the part within the commas --> John is one of the members of student committee. Now whether I include this inessential part or not, it does not change the meaning of sentence.
So IMO, same holds good for the original question in the post. I don't think that mention of other problems faced changes the meaning/sense of the sentence. Therefore I had this question that why should we make it parallel to the part within the commas.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2012, 00:43
Ok let's kill the modifier:

A: One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today ..... is remaining empathetic to the needs ....

B: One of the greatest problems facing Engineering practitioners today ..... is to remain empathetic to the needs ....

So, I chose B, what am I doing wrong? @daagh?

“When I was young I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures, so I did ten times more work.” ~ Bernard Shaw

Kudos me if I helped you in any way.

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2012, 02:23
Aki,
Essential or inessential, you are killing some part of the sentence That is the wrong IMO. Secondly opinions will differ from person to person. I will respect your view, if you think //ism is not essential here, even as I stick to my view. That way, may ask a basic question, why should we care about //ism at all, if you think, you can good meaning without It?

Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2012, 02:35
@Shivanisharma

The basic thing is that when you have a list you have to make all the arms //, whether essential or inessential. No one has said that an essential factor need not parallel the inessential ones. Which is the better of the two, is the essence of this debate? IMO, the scales point towards parallelism and meaning rather than any other factor.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2012, 03:21
daagh wrote:
Aki,
Essential or inessential, you are killing some part of the sentence That is the wrong IMO. Secondly opinions will differ from person to person. I will respect your view, if you think //ism is not essential here, even as I stick to my view. That way, may ask a basic question, why should we care about //ism at all, if you think, you can good meaning without It?

Yeah, I do understand what you are trying to get at.

I would NEVER say something as horrible as "kill the modifier" on the actual GMAT, I was just trying to save typing time :oops:

But, your question on "importance" of //ism has kinda left me dumbfounded.

Gun to my head, I'd say that since GMAT gives highest priority to meaning clarity over all else(my personal opinion, could be wrong) so I would chose B.

Again, I have no reasons to prove A is wrong since it has no errors, i just chose B because of meaning clarity.

Based on your statement, it seems you also don't find any grammatical issues with B? (That's what I was hoping you'd find :) )

“When I was young I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures, so I did ten times more work.” ~ Bernard Shaw

Kudos me if I helped you in any way.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2013, 20:24
Can some expert provide comments which one is correct answer and why other options are wrong ?

MBAhereIcome wrote:
daagh, i have a question here.

how can problems 'face' someone such as a practitioner? imo, it is the practitioner who faces problems.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ESADE '16, HKU'16, SMU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2015, 06:18
Hi,

Can any of the experts resolve the issue between 'A' and 'B', once and for all ?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32
GRE 1: Q159 V151

GRE 2: Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 03:25
daagh : Not able to understand the meaning behind 'One of the problems facing engg. ..'. How can problems be facing something.?
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 10:30
narendran1990
Hi
Problems facing engineers is is just another literary form of writing; It ultimately means that the problems engineers face.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 08:25
@e-gmat or mikemcgarry - I would be thankful for your input on this confusing question.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 09:00
The source of this topic is an RC question, which you can find below.

One of the greatest challenges facing medical students today, apart from absorbing volumes of technical information and learning habits of scientific thought, is that of remaining empathetic to the needs of patients in the face of all this rigorous training

http://www.beatthegmat.com/rc-the-great ... 32721.html

You will see that the correct choicein the topic is the same as you find in the RC passage, except for the change of Medical students to Engineering practitioners. Is this passage bonafide or not? If one can accept the RC passage as good enough, then there will be no confusion about accepting A as the correct choice, since the original is using the phrase ‘is remaining’ rather than ‘ to remain”. Absorbing and learning along with ‘is remaining’ is more parallel than absorbing and learning along with ‘to learn’, IMO. All the other choices have other errors. So A.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Re: One of the greatest problems facing Engineering &nbs [#permalink] 05 Nov 2015, 09:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

One of the greatest problems facing Engineering

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap