Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1401 [70]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.09
Send PM
Re: One of the many theories about alcoholism is the learning and reinforc [#permalink]
hi vedprakashchauhan,
thanks for the detailed descriptions. Agree with yu on most answers except 1 and 7.

1. B
--> 'The role of punishment is becoming increasingly important in formulating a cause of alcoholism based on the principles of learning theory.' This in turn tells us that learning thery is used to explain the cause of alcoholism

7. B
The role of punishment is becoming increasingly important in formulating a cause of alcoholism based on the principles of learning theory. While punishment may serve to suppress a response, experiments have shown that in some cases it can serve as a reward and reinforce the behavior.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: One of the many theories about alcoholism is the learning and reinforc [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey Guys,

Well, i got 6 correct in this passage. The ones which i got wrong are question 2,3, and 9.
MY ans:
2 - D (i kind of screwed up in here :D)
3 - D ( i think the ans is correct)
9 - D (i think the ans is correct here too)
....below are my explaination:

Question 3:
3. It can be inferred from the passage that aversion conditioning is based primarily on the principle that
(A) electric shock stimulates a response - irrelevant
(B) behavior that is punished will be avoided - now where in the passage is it written ? unless someone knows bout this aversion technique, how can you make out that it's based on this principle? coz in the passage, it's clearly mentioned that rats were trained to avoid electric shock.
(C) pain is a stronger stimulus than pleasure - irrelevant
(D) alcohol reduces fear - like i mentioned in the above option , i think this is correct
(E) behavior that is rewarded will be repeated - clearly wrong.

Question 9:
9. It can be inferred from the passage that the author views the learning and reinforcement theory of alcoholism as
(A) credible
(B) unassailable
(C) outdated
(D) fallacious
(E) revolutionary

Quoting the 2nd paragragh:
"The obvious troubles experienced by alcoholic persons appear to contradict the learning theory in the explanation of alcoholism"

now how can the learning theory be credible? kindly explain..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
krishnasty wrote:
Hey Guys,

Well, i got 6 correct in this passage. The ones which i got wrong are question 2,3, and 9.
MY ans:
2 - D (i kind of screwed up in here :D)
3 - D ( i think the ans is correct)
9 - D (i think the ans is correct here too)
....below are my explaination:

Question 3:
3. It can be inferred from the passage that aversion conditioning is based primarily on the principle that
(A) electric shock stimulates a response - irrelevant
(B) behavior that is punished will be avoided - now where in the passage is it written ? unless someone knows bout this aversion technique, how can you make out that it's based on this principle? coz in the passage, it's clearly mentioned that rats were trained to avoid electric shock.
(C) pain is a stronger stimulus than pleasure - irrelevant
(D) alcohol reduces fear - like i mentioned in the above option , i think this is correct
(E) behavior that is rewarded will be repeated - clearly wrong.

Question 9:
9. It can be inferred from the passage that the author views the learning and reinforcement theory of alcoholism as
(A) credible
(B) unassailable
(C) outdated
(D) fallacious
(E) revolutionary

Quoting the 2nd paragragh:
"The obvious troubles experienced by alcoholic persons appear to contradict the learning theory in the explanation of alcoholism"

now how can the learning theory be credible? kindly explain..

I agree with you on 3 and 9.
Its baffling how it can be credible.
Can someone explain how?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
daagh,

could you please provide your comments for question 3 and 9. according to author this theory is not credible how answer can be A in question 9 . and according to me answer should be D in question 3.

Please provide your comments on this. it would be really great help.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [3]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE:Web Development (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
PathFinder007 wrote:
daagh,

could you please provide your comments for question 3 and 9. according to author this theory is not credible how answer can be A in question 9 . and according to me answer should be D in question 3.

Please provide your comments on this. it would be really great help.

Thanks.

Hi,

For 3 :

It can be inferred from the passage that aversion conditioning is based primarily on the principle that
(A) electric shock stimulates a response
(B) behavior that is punished will be avoided
(C) pain is a stronger stimulus than pleasure
(D) alcohol reduces fear
(E) behavior that is rewarded will be repeated

Here we are talking about the principle, not the outcome. The principles is that rats should avoid electric shocks. The outcome is that alcohol reduces that fear. Principle is B.

As for 9 :

The obvious troubles experienced by alcoholic persons appear to contradict the learning theory in the explanation of alcoholism. The discomfort, pain, and punishment they experience should presumably serve as a deterrent to drinking. The fact that alcoholic persons continue to drink in the face of family discord, loss of employment, illness, and other sequels of repeated bouts is explained by the proximity of the drive reduction to the consumption of alcohol; that is, alcohol has the immediate effect of reducing tension while the unpleasant consequences of drunken behavior come only later. The learning paradigm, therefore, favors the establishment and repetition of the resort to alcohol.

The author goes to great troubles to explain why the opposition to the theory is not valid. He therefore is in support of the theory. Credible is the only positive tone given in the options.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
:dazed :dazed :dazed

Some of the questions were tough!

Question 2

A - Correct -psychosocial problems are those problems relating to interpersonal relationships/ independent thoughts. These problems are discussed throughout, but they are explicitly called out in the third paragraph - loss of employment etc...
B is incorrect because we are only equipped with information concerning aversion/ reinforcement, not the effectiveness of one over the other.
C is incorrect because we are merely told that alcohol reduces tension and produces euphoria, but we aren't told why. I incorrectly chose this.
D is incorrect because we are only told that 'in some cases' alcohol can serve to reward/ reinforce. We aren't told of instances in which it is deterred.
E is incorrect because nothing is mentioned on genetic disposition.

Question 3
Aversion conditioning is discussed in the second paragraph. We are told that a group of rats were trained to avert an electric shock, but that this response was slightly delayed ('measurably weaker') after the rats consumed alcohol. This evidence is used to support the fact notion that 'alcohol reduces fear' (per sentence 1 of p3).

A is incorrect - this is the mechanism by which the experiment works, not the principle and thus premise of the test.
B is correct because rats avoid the electric shock to avoid pain (punishment), but while under the influence of alcohol this avoidance (hence aversion) is weakened.
C is incorrect because there is no indication whether the food (reward here) is a greater stimulus than avoiding the pain of the electric shock; rather, the test more or less explicitly measured rats' impairment of pain avoidance as a result of alcohol.
D is incorrect - while we are told this is a behaviour of humans, its not the premise of the aversion conditioning test.
E is incorrect - again, mice were measured on pain avoidance, not how quickly they could get to the food.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Hi,

Can someone help with the primary purpose question?

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) compare the learning and reinforcement theory to other theories of alcoholism ---No Comparison, so out of scope
(B) discuss how the behavior of alcoholic persons is explained by learning theory ---Has only been discussed in the Later paragraphs
(C) argue that alcoholism is a learned behavior ---Only in the last paragraph(Partial scope)
(D) explain how fear and anxiety stimulate and reinforce drinking in alcoholic persons ---Only mentioned in one 4th paragraph(Partial Scope)
(E) present experimental evidence in support of the learning and reinforcement theory of alcoholism -----Discussed only in the 2nd para(Partial Scope)

Although I selected option E, later realized that experimental evidence is given only in para 2 and in the rest of the passage author is trying to explain how learning theory applies to the alcoholic person as well. Please help me in understanding option B. Is it correct because more than half of the passage discusses about this and it's the best available option??

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Quote:
(A) compare the learning and reinforcement theory to other theories of alcoholism
(B) discuss how the behavior of alcoholic persons is explained by learning theory
(C) argue that alcoholism is a learned behavior
(D) explain how fear and anxiety stimulate and reinforce drinking in alcoholic persons
(E) present experimental evidence in support of the learning and reinforcement theory of alcoholism.

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
How to eliminate option E.
This complete passage shows several experimental evidence to support learning and reinforcement theory of alcoholism.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Quote:
7. The passage contains information that supports which of the following statements?
(A) If the pleasurable taste of whisky leads to an acquired taste for brandy, then stimulus generalization has occurred.
(B) Slapping a child for misbehaving may over time encourage the child to repeat the misbehavior.
(C) If a person has learned to drink under two sets of conditions, both must be present in order to induce that person to drink again.
(D) Continued heavy use of alcohol usually causes severe damage to the body and nervous system.
(E) When consumed in moderation, alcohol may benefit health.

In option B "Slapping a child for misbehaving may over time encourage the child to repeat the misbehavior"
I believe as per passage, "Misbehavior from child overtime may encourage slapping" is correct.
How to infer option B ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
can someone help me with question 8 and question 4?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
aman2139 wrote:
can someone help me with question 8 and question 4?

Hi aman2139,

For Question 4,

Correct Answer is E. It can be inferred from the lines: "The way in which the cue for another bout could be the anxiety itself is explained by the process of stimulus generalization: conditions or events occurring at the time of reinforcement tend to acquire the characteristics of state of anxiety or fear, the emotional state itself takes on the properties of a stimulus, thus triggering another drinking bout."

Implication being that the stimulus generalization occurs when conditions associated with a stimulus evokes the same responses as the stimulus itself would have.

For Question 8:

Correct Answer is C. It can be directly inferred from the lines: "The obvious troubles experienced by alcoholic persons appear to contradict the learning theory in the explanation of alcoholism..................". As per learning theory: "The discomfort, pain, and punishment they experience should presumably serve as a deterrent to drinking.", but this is not the case for alcoholics as they continue to drink and the unpleasant consequences don't deter them from drinking.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
Harsh2111s wrote:
Quote:
7. The passage contains information that supports which of the following statements?
(A) If the pleasurable taste of whisky leads to an acquired taste for brandy, then stimulus generalization has occurred.
(B) Slapping a child for misbehaving may over time encourage the child to repeat the misbehavior.
(C) If a person has learned to drink under two sets of conditions, both must be present in order to induce that person to drink again.
(D) Continued heavy use of alcohol usually causes severe damage to the body and nervous system.
(E) When consumed in moderation, alcohol may benefit health.

In option B "Slapping a child for misbehaving may over time encourage the child to repeat the misbehavior"
I believe as per passage, "Misbehavior from child overtime may encourage slapping" is correct.
How to infer option B ?

While punishment may serve to suppress a response, experiments have shown that in some cases it can serve as a reward and reinforce the behavior. Thus if the alcoholic person has learned to drink under conditions of both reward and punishment, either type of condition may precipitate renewed drinking.

Slapping a child = punishment
for misbehaving = drinking
may over time encourage the child to repeat the misbehavior.= renewed drinking

When something is stopped as punishment or reward , behavior may appear again.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
Harsh2111s wrote:
Quote:
(A) compare the learning and reinforcement theory to other theories of alcoholism
(B) discuss how the behavior of alcoholic persons is explained by learning theory
(C) argue that alcoholism is a learned behavior
(D) explain how fear and anxiety stimulate and reinforce drinking in alcoholic persons
(E) present experimental evidence in support of the learning and reinforcement theory of alcoholism.

How to eliminate option E.
This complete passage shows several experimental evidence to support learning and reinforcement theory of alcoholism.

Close fight between B and E

But we need to primary purpose.
Ask a question? CAn E be a subset of B?
1. Experiments are done to discuss some theory? RIght?
2. There are some para which are talking only about hyphotesis - 1st, 4th and 5th para have no experiments but theories.
3. E says in support of theory but (The obvious troubles experienced by alcoholic persons appear to contradict the learning theory in the explanation of alcoholism.- This para doesn't present evidence in support but somehow contradicts the theory.)

These above 3 reasons makes B win over E.

Hope it is clear:)
Ross & Kellogg Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 717
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
In question 1, I was stuck between the last two choices- B and D. Can an expert kindly help with how to eliminate B?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.3
Send PM
Hello everyone. First time posting on this forum. Took 15:50 to complete including 4:46 to read, errors on Q2 and Q9.
Posting for the first time because this time the errors I made felt rather inconsistent with my typical errors.

Q2 is tricky but I can understand through post-analysis. It felt extremely hard not to eliminate A) off the bat, as it is not possible to recall a specific instance of "psychosocial" problems associated with alcoholism - however it does make a ton of sense if you take into account the overall tone of the passage.

A) is good but feels generic, almost too generic. Keep it in the back.
B) we do not see mentions regarding a comparison made between the two methods of treatment.
C) while the end of p1 states, "alcohol ingestion is said to reduce the tension or feelings of unpleasantness and to replace them with the feeling of euphoria generally observed in most persons after they have consumed one or more drinks," this text explains more of related to the effects that occur after ingestion occurs, rather than the reasons why the effects occur after ingestion.
D) Also a little too specific of a question for the passage to have answered. The statement "While punishment may serve to suppress a response, experiments have shown that in some cases it can serve as a reward and reinforce the behavior. Thus if the alcoholic person has learned to drink under conditions of both reward and punishment, either type of condition may precipitate renewed drinking" states that reward and punishment may reinforce drinking behavior, but not what deters it, and does not provide any "cases"/examples either.
E) Out of scope - no mention of genetics.

Q9 is puzzling. There was little evidence in favor of learning theory in this passage, and both paragraphs 3 and 4 make strong points against learning theory. Any experts to answer this one?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Stanford '25
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V30
Send PM
Can you explain why the anwser of question 9 is ''E''
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos