GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 08:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

One of the most intriguing topics for geologists has long been what

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
One of the most intriguing topics for geologists has long been what  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (02:05) correct 53% (02:31) wrong based on 68 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

One of the most intriguing topics for geologists has long been what happened 66 million years ago, after a 7.5-mile-wide asteroid crashed into the ocean near what’s now the port town of Chicxulub, Mexico. The impact brought the age of dinosaurs to an abrupt end, wiping out about three-quarters of all life on Earth. This mass extinction happened because the space rock slammed into an oily tinderbox, blasting enough soot into the atmosphere to cause extreme global cooling. Other big asteroids have hit Earth but they caused no mass extinctions as far as the fossil record shows—probably because those impact sites just didn’t have the right mix of volatile rocks.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first and the second each describe evidence that has been used to challenge the position that the argument seeks to establish.

(B) The first and the second each describe evidence that has been used to support the position that the argument seeks to establish.

(C) The first is a circumstance whose implications are evaluated in the argument; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.

(D) The first is a finding whose accuracy is evaluated in the argument; the second is a consideration presented to establish that the finding is accurate.

(E) The first is a finding whose implications are evaluated in the argument; line second is a consideration presented to support the conclusion that the argument seeks to establish.

Spoiler: :: MY Query
Answer Choice E says, that the first is a "finding", however it is an event. Only because of this fact I eliminated E. Is this a poor quality framing of an answer choice or is it ok ?

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

Originally posted by GmatDaddy on 28 Aug 2018, 09:00.
Last edited by GmatDaddy on 28 Aug 2018, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
One of the most intriguing topics for geologists has long been what  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 09:06
GmatDaddy wrote:
One of the most intriguing topics for geologists has long been what happened 66 million years ago, after a 7.5-mile-wide asteroid crashed into the ocean near what’s now the port town of Chicxulub, Mexico. The impact brought the age of dinosaurs to an abrupt end, wiping out about three-quarters of all life on Earth. This mass extinction happened because the space rock slammed into an oily tinderbox, blasting enough soot into the atmosphere to cause extreme global cooling. Other big asteroids have hit Earth but they caused no mass extinctions as far as the fossil record shows—probably because those impact sites just didn’t have the right mix of volatile rocks.

Hey GmatDaddy

You missed to bold the bold parts of the question. Could you please do that?

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: One of the most intriguing topics for geologists has long been what  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 09:08
Done. thanks for pointing out!
Akash720 wrote:
GmatDaddy wrote:

Hey GmatDaddy

You missed to bold the bold parts of the question. Could you please do that?

~R.

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: One of the most intriguing topics for geologists has long been what  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 09:35
GmatDaddy wrote:

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first and the second each describe evidence that has been used to challenge the position that the argument seeks to establish.

(B) The first and the second each describe evidence that has been used to support the position that the argument seeks to establish.

(C) The first is a circumstance whose implications are evaluated in the argument; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.

(D) The first is a finding whose accuracy is evaluated in the argument; the second is a consideration presented to establish that the finding is accurate.

(E) The first is a finding whose implications are evaluated in the argument; line second is a consideration presented to support the conclusion that the argument seeks to establish.

Spoiler: :: MY Query
Answer Choice E says, that the first is a "finding", however it is an event. Only because of this fact I eliminated E. Is this a poor quality framing of an answer choice or is it ok ?

(A) The first and the second each describe evidence that has been used to challenge the position that the argument seeks to establish
- Both are wrong. Bolded parts don't describe any evidence

- Same as A

- First part is correct, it is a circumstance whose implications are evaluated, but the second part is not the main conclusion.

- First part is correct. Second part is wrong, it is not presented to establish the first part is accurate. Both are different

- Both parts are correct.

Hence E

The first part is definitely a event, which happened in past. Hence, it can be finding too.

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 10:49
Does this argument have a conclusion.If so can somebody pls tell which one..?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 11:10
The conclusion is not explicitly mentioned, you will have to draw that out.
which in our case is: For Mass extinction from asteroid crashes to happen, the asteroid should crash into "right mix of volatile rocks"

Hope this clarifies your doubt.

redskull1 wrote:

~R.

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 11:10
which in our case is: For Mass extinction from asteroid crashes to happen, the asteroid should crash into "right mix of volatile rocks"

redskull1 wrote:

~R.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 12:06
Thanks for the reply buddy..i am still skeptical..The right answer is E..BF 2 supports the conclusion according to E..clearly something after because,in the case of ur explanation “the conclusion” ,cannot be the conclusion.It has to be something else(the conclusion)

Just FYI i got this right but took around 2.5 mins.Hence this scrutiny.Hope you dont mind.I am almost on the verge of not following anything except the official sources.

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 12:37
GmatDaddy wrote:

redskull1 wrote:

I got it correct by PoE but I generally agree with your criticism. I found the wording confusing too.

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Re: One of the most intriguing topics for geologists has long been what &nbs [#permalink] 28 Aug 2018, 12:37

One of the most intriguing topics for geologists has long been what

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap