It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 16:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 184

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 14:41
correct idiom is distinction between X and Y
only C uses correctly this idiom.

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 184

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 490 Q47 V13

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2015, 09:21
russ9 wrote:
Ignoring the lay/lie split, can someone explain why E is wrong? Doesn't it provide a contrast with "but"?

Wouldn't "c" be incorrect because it's using "as" to contrast as opposed to "but"?

EDIT: Do distinctions ALWAYS need "between x but y" format? Meaning, are the answer choices D/E wrong because they are missing the word "between" or because they are missing the "and" in the middle?

The problem in E is usage of "TO" . Wrong comparison is made using "TO".

Abhilash
Learn, Apply, Fail, Analyse, and Practice.

Consider +1 Kudos if you find my post helpful.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7917 [5], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2015, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but
B. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but instead
C. between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill as
D. our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as
E. of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but

1. First of all, let’s remove the two wrong choices namely A and E for using ‘lay’ instead of ‘lie’.
2. Remove B for using the wrong idiom of ‘between’ and ‘with’
3. Keep C for using the correct idiom ‘not so much in as in’
4. D: changes the intended meaning. Any specific skill as means that the difference may not lie in our ability to extend knowledge gained … The intended meaning is the opposite of what D implies. This is because of the dropping of the idiom ‘so much in’.

C therefore, is the best.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7917 [5], given: 364

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 23:33
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1193

GMAT 1: 490 Q41 V18
GPA: 2.75
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 13:52
Ayrish wrote:
One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

A. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but
B. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but instead
C. between our intelligence and that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill as
D. our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as
E. of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The question is the following:
between C and D I chose D for:
1) d is more concise
2) what is "so much" in C for? I think it is redundant and useless.
3) D like C doesn't have idiom usage problem

However, OA is C. so I hope you can correct me, if I am wrong.

Thanx

Between X and Y. In this case, between our intelligence and that of other primates.
Straight C - 40 sec :D

Heading towards perfection>>

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1193

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 367 [2], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 23:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A clever trick by GMAT is to hide an idiom inside a word that appears in another idiom This trick works fine on Non-Native speakers.
We all get so caught up in learning the numerous idioms and their correct usage that sometimes we end up with a mishmash amalgamation of words resting deep within our subconsciousness.
The main idioms we learn, generally has these words, consider, estimate, require, prohibit, dated, prefer, differ, distinguish, forbid etc.
We also learn a simple looking, non threatening, friendly idiom between X and Y

In this example GMAT is trying to hide "between" inside distinction which sounds exactly like difference, distinguish ,
The correct usage for distinction and distinguish :-

{distinguish between A and B } { distinguish A from B }

{distinction between A and B } { the distinction of A from B
}

But in all of this hoopla we can see that essentially both of them are a form of "Between A and B" and "A from B" [/color]

Also in OPTION D & E, notice how Gmat tries to fool even the English speakers who know that the idiom "distinction of A from B" but GMAT modifies it to "distinction of A to B"

But if one analyse the options with a cool head without getting flustered, then one can easily see that the option with "Between X and Y" is the correct option and rest of the options are laden with confusing and wrong idioms.
ONLY OPTON C uses the correct idiom.
D. distinctions our intelligence has from that of other primates may lie not in any specific skill as (distinctions of X from Y is correct .. distinctions X From Y is wrong)
E. distinctions of our intelligence to that of other primates may lay not in any specific skill but (distinctions of X to y is wrong;distinctions of X FROM y is correcy)

Ayrish wrote:
One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The question is the following:
between C and D I chose D for:
1) d is more concise
2) what is "so much" in C for? I think it is redundant and useless.
3) D like C doesn't have idiom usage problem

However, OA is C. so I hope you can correct me, if I am wrong.

Thanx

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 28 Jun 2016, 07:01, edited 4 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 367 [2], given: 36

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2016, 05:27
Thanks LogicGuru1. I was aware of BETWEEN X AND Y idiom, but not about the "distinction" idiom.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Economics, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.64
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2016, 11:11
The correct idiom is "distinction between X and Y. Only C follows that and hence is the correct one .

Sent from my XT1572 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 367 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 01:10
Well,
daagh has summarised beautifully all the errors and the correct answer.
His method, which I say is very efficient is also very systematic.
20 seconds and he explained everything without any fuss or confusion.
As I have myself reiterated in many problems earlier also , Sentence correction is primarily an exercise in finding decision points and then eliminating the blatantly wrong options.
This is a perfect example of exactly what and how much is needed to be done to reach the correct answer.

daagh wrote:

1. First of all, let’s remove the two wrong choices namely A and E for using ‘lay’ instead of ‘lie’.
2. Remove B for using the wrong idiom of ‘between’ and ‘with’
3. Keep C for using the correct idiom ‘not so much in as in’
4. D: changes the intended meaning. Any specific skill as means that the difference may not lie in our ability to extend knowledge gained … The intended meaning is the opposite of what D implies. This is because of the dropping of the idiom ‘so much in’.

C therefore, is the best.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Kudos [?]: 367 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 21:09
Could anybody make a further explanation please :

1)Are there any differences in meaning between may not in ... but in... and may not in ... as in ...?
2) how does answer D change the orginal intended meaning?

Thanks for you help~

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3313 [2], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
WZP wrote:

1)Are there any differences in meaning between may not in ... but in... and may not in ... as in ...?

Thanks for you help~

Your query 1:
When one discusses the difference in meaning between P and Q, one assumes that P and Q are both grammatically correct. However, not X as Y is grammatically wrong. The question of difference in meaning does not arise whatsoever. Not X, but Y is the correct idiom.
A simplified example may make the issue clear:
My favourite colour is not green, but blue.
My favourite colour is not green, as blue. ... the usage of "as" makes the sentence ungrammatical.

Your query2:
The issue of meaning does not arise since option D is wrong idiomatically as stated above.

Note that in option C, the idiom is not "not X, but Y". The idiom in option C is "so X, as Y", which is correct.

Kudos [?]: 3313 [2], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 19:24
sayantanc2k wrote:
WZP wrote:

Thanks for you help~

Your query 1:
When one discusses the difference in meaning between P and Q, one assumes that P and Q are both grammatically correct. However, not X as Y is grammatically wrong. The question of difference in meaning does not arise whatsoever. Not X, but Y is the correct idiom.
My favourite colour is not green, as blue. ... the usage of "as" makes the sentence ungrammatical.

Your query2:
The issue of meaning does not arise since option D is wrong idiomatically as stated above.

Note that in option C, the idiom is not "not X, but Y". The idiom in option C is "so X, as Y", which is correct.

hi sayantanc2k
Your explanation is helpful!!! Thanks!
For option D, the OG says " without so much, which is used in (C), as seems to introduce a comparison for specific skill rather than a distinction." . I am really not good at comparsion structure and i feel confused about this official explanation. Could you please help me to figure it out :oops: ?

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3313 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 13:47
WZP wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
WZP wrote:

Thanks for you help~

Your query 1:

Your query2:

hi sayantanc2k
Your explanation is helpful!!! Thanks!
For option D, the OG says " without so much, which is used in (C), as seems to introduce a comparison for specific skill rather than a distinction." . I am really not good at comparsion structure and i feel confused about this official explanation. Could you please help me to figure it out :oops: ?

Well, I am not sure whether I can explain this, since the OG explanation is really difficult to comprehend. Yet let me take a try:

The OG probably means the following:

"As" can be used to introduce a comparison for the noun adjacent to it. e.g.,

I have a book as new as your book.

Here "as" after "book" introduces a comparison for "book".

Similarly, in option D, "as" seems to introduce a comparison for " specific skills".

I am not sure whether this is convincing enough, but this is the best I can do.

Kudos [?]: 3313 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 01:56
sayantanc2k[/url] That‘s good enough,thanks!

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 48

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 05:36
Hi everyone,
Can I say that as is required to for the so much.......as construction?
And based on this can we eliminate answers?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 48

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 2691 [1], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2016, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
NaeemHasan wrote:
Hi everyone,
Can I say that as is required to for the so much.......as construction?
And based on this can we eliminate answers?

According to mikemcgarry ,For idiomatic error as addressed below , you can eliminate Answer Choice( A ) and ( B)

Correct idiom: not so much A as B. It demonstrates a difference in degree: whatever is being asserted, A is true or relevant, but it is less true or less relevant, and B is more so by comparison. This is used for nouns primarily for nouns, noun-like phrase (infinitives & gerunds), prepositional phrase or participial phrases.

Incorrect Idioms : “not so much A but B” , “not so much A instead B".

The detail explanation presented here at magoosh blog

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2691 [1], given: 220

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 08:44
SPLIT1) IDIOM. "BETWEEN..AND". A,B,D AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT2) IDIOM. "SO MUCH….AS". A,B,E ARE OUT.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 20:33

--> awkward.

--> awkward.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 198

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 05:31
One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence with that of other primates may lay not so much
in any specific skill but in our ability to extend knowledge gained in one context to new and different ones.

The only acceptable idiom w.r.t the usage of “distinction between” is
Distinction Between X and Y ..
All other usages are considered unidiomatic…

Incorrect idiom

B. between our intelligence with that of other primates may lie not so much in any specific skill but
Instead
Incorrect idiom

Correct

Incorrect idiom

Incorrect idiom

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 198

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 38

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 13:17
30 second answer.

The original sentence incorrectly uses the idiom between A and B. The only answer using this idiom correctly is C

Kudosity killed the cat but your kudos can save it.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 38

Re: One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2017, 13:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

One of the primary distinctions between our intelligence

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap