Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [175]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35483 [24]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [19]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [12]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Re: Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I was asked in a PM to take on just this question, which everyone here seems to have answered incorrectly:

Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills, in reality these gregarious creatures live in stable groups that occupy the same territory for long periods.

(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills
ANSWER: Correct idiom, correct construction.

(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills
PROBLEM: "Depict to be" is incorrect, even though "in films" and "in reality" are very nicely paralleled.

(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West
PROBLEM: This totally wrecks the meaning. Most of you seemed to interpret this correctly (using logic from previous answer choices). One possible meaning is that "coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills WHEN THEY ARE in films about the American West". But the way this reads is that "coyotes are depicted (BY SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE, SOMETIME) as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West". See? It's as if they're depicted elsewhere as if they were in films. The modifiers here are modifying all the wrong stuff.

(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills
PROBLEM: Depict "as if" is also incorrect. Also reversing "mournfully howling" is awkward (though probably not grammatically incorrect).

(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills
PROBLEM: Depict "to be" is wrong.

Voila!

-tommy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Experts,
In this question , i am confused with option C. Can you please tell me why my reasoning is wrong,
In second IC , we have "these gregarious creature as a subject" so in first clause we should have " coyotes " as the subject but instead we have films as the subject
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [7]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
guptakashish02 wrote:
Hi Experts,
In this question , i am confused with option C. Can you please tell me why my reasoning is wrong,
In second IC , we have "these gregarious creature as a subject" so in first clause we should have " coyotes " as the subject but instead we have films as the subject

I'm not quite sure that I understand your question, but I'll give it a shot!

Are you suggesting that in a sentence with two clauses, the subjects of the two clauses must match? If so, that certainly isn't true. There's absolutely nothing with having two different subjects of two different clauses in the same sentence.

As others have mentioned above, there are all sorts of other problems with (C). For starters, the phrase "coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films..." seems to be saying that the coyotes actually howl in the films themselves. And that's not the point: the sentence is trying to say that the films depict the coyotes as howling mournfully in general -- not that the coyotes actually howl in the films. And there's no good reason to use passive voice in (C) when there's a better, more active alternative in (A).

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Picked A first, then changed to C. Need a logical comparison. Coyotes as X in films and coyotes as Y in reality.
Although coyotes are depicted as X in films..... in reality, coyotes are Y... For A to work, the second part of the sentence needs to add a different type of movie to make the compare/contrast appropriate. Just my thinking!
Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [2]
Given Kudos: 62
GPA: 4
WE:Brand Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Here's my take:

generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 28 Sentence Correction (SC2)

Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills, in reality these gregarious creatures live in stable groups that occupy the same territory for long periods.

(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills

(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills

(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West

(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills

(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills

Meaning Analysis

In films about American West, coyotes are shown as solitary animals who howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills. But in reality, they live in stable groups that occupy the same territory for long periods.

Correct Idiom

Depict "X" as "Y".

Wrong Answer elimination

Eliminate B and E as it uses incorrect idiom ("Depicted" X "to be" Y)
Eliminate D because of tense error. The non-underlined portion is in simple present tense. Option D says "as if they WERE" (simple past tense).
Also there are only 2 thoughts in option D (coyotes are solitary and mournfully howling animals) and therefore, no comma required.

Option C sounds enticing but there are 2 reasons why I am eliminating it --> 1) coyotes....on tops of distant hills in films about the American West. The "in films" seems to modify "distant hills". We want "films" to modify the entire clause from "coyotes" to "distant hills", and not just "distant hills".
2) The non-underlined part is in active voice, whereas option C seems to be passive voice. I reckon I'll need some expert insights here though. Is option C correct if we consider "voice"?

IMO, option A is the right answer because "on the tops of distant hills" correctly modifies the "solitary animals", and the idiomatic usage of "Depict X as Y" is correct.

Some thoughts on Option C would be nice.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
gmatconqueror2018 wrote:
Picked A first, then changed to C. Need a logical comparison. Coyotes as X in films and coyotes as Y in reality.
Although coyotes are depicted as X in films..... in reality, coyotes are Y... For A to work, the second part of the sentence needs to add a different type of movie to make the compare/contrast appropriate. Just my thinking!

I would go with A on this one as C makes it sound like the coyotes howl something like;

"auuuuuuu Who shot the sheriff?" :-D

Regards,
Chris
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
gmatconqueror2018 wrote:

gmatconqueror2018
why you want different type of movie? first part states that cayotes are X, but in reality they are X. thats it :) What type of movie would you like to compare with :grin:

this is how i understand this sentence:

Although films about the American Wild Wild West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills, but in reality these creatues are party animals, and they are howling to join some party. :)

this option looks totally fine:) here you emphasize that films DO depict coyotes as solitary animals, whereas option C

changes the meaning. In C it sounds as if coyotes are on the top of distant hills in films .... (but the "films" are the doers/ executors )

Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35483 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Arro44 wrote:
as C makes it sound like the coyotes howl something like;

"auuuuuuu Who shot the sheriff?" :-D

Regards,
Chris

Arro44 , :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, whoever shot the sheriff did not shoot the deputy.
Thanks for the laugh.

These SC threads are exactly the kind that help people learn.
No kidding. Studies I have cited elsewhere demonstrate that humor is a potent catalyst of learning.

Among other tidbits, my threads include

-- drunken snails whose intoxication regrettably slows them down

-- and coyotes who howl iconic Bob Marley [reggae] songs, an image that
becomes irreverently funnier every time I think about Marley's voice.

I may have to start awarding kudos for hilarity. Laughter is good.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 28 Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

PLEASE REWRITE THE SENTENCE IN YOUR OWN WORDS.

Though i understand why A is incorrect,but i have one query.In case of comparisons,say when we use like /unlike etc, we have to compare two similar entities,is it true for case of Although too.
See in case of C we are correctly comparing coyotes but in A
is it comparison of Films vs reality
or comparison of Coyotes.
Is this comparison necessary in Although,
If yes,then how is A correct?
If it is comparison of films vs reality so isn't in films required?
daagh GMATNinja VeritasKarishma generis
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos