GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 21:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One Question a day – Q#2 SC 26022014

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
One Question a day – Q#2 SC 26022014 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2014, 22:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (01:25) correct 65% (01:59) wrong based on 191 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought.

A. Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought. –

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A. Improper modification; what should follow conventional thinking is some other kind of thinking and not the Architect.

B. Unlike conventional thinking, early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B.This is an awful sentence. First, the modification is imporper as in A. Second, The meaning is changed without the relative pronoun ‘that’. Third, this is a blatant run-on sentence.

C. Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms where the tribesman lived in rock shelters clearly pre-dated their stint at least 200 years earlier than originally thought.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C. Modification problem as in A and B. Secondly the choice talks of some storage platforms, where the tribals lived. Nobody lives in storage platforms.

D. As per contemporary studies, and in contrast to conventional wisdom, Archeologist Seymour revealed that some storage platforms in rock shelters where the early tribesman of Apache lived pre-dated the tribal’s stint at least 200 years earlier than the Spanish Invasion of the American Southwest took place in the sixteenth century. ---

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D. Concise and clear--- Correct choice.

E. Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, current wisdom spearheaded by Archeologist Seymour revealed that the tribals had reached the spot at least 200 years earlier, basing the proposal on the storage platforms built in where the early tribesman of Apache lived in rock shelters

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E.Misplaced modifier; It is not clear what the modifier ‘basing the proposal on’ is trying to modify. It should modify thee archeologist. Here it seems to modify the tribals’ arrival time.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Re: One Question a day – Q#2 SC 26022014 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2014, 22:48
Went with E for the below reasons.

A,B,C - wrong comparison

Both D and E sounded fine to me.

However, I thought D has 'and preceded by comma' and it doesn't have a clause following it. So, felt that D is probably wrong.

Why am I wrong in eliminating D?

Moreover, I felt E to be fine even re-reading it.

Why did you think it is modifying the tribal's arrival time?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2014, 23:39
This post received
KUDOS
On first look E seemed to be correct.Then after a careful reading of D and E,I decided to go with D,mainly because of the modifier issue with E.
A,B,C are obviously violating parallelism.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2014, 05:28
E. Unlike conventional thinking that early tribes of Apache had reached the American Southwest after the Spanish invasion in the sixteenth Century, current wisdom spearheaded by Archeologist Seymour revealed that the tribals had reached the spot at least 200 years earlier, basing the proposal on the storage platforms built in where the early tribesman of Apache lived in rock shelters

We do not require 'had' before 'reached' as we are explicitly mentioning 'after' + noun phase 'the spanish invasion'.
'Current' should follow present tense, not past - 'revealed' .
'had' in 'the tribals had reached' is also wrong as there is no 2nd action.
modifier 'basing..' is incorrect.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2014, 10:38
A and C look exactly the same. What is the difference between the two?

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
One Question a day – Q#2 SC 26022014 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 21:05
I'm not too comfortable with the redundancy issue in D 'pre-dated the tribal’s stint at least 200 years earlier'!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.51

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 01:40
First of all: Nice question, but the posting is not adequate. With all the spoilers you can't really compare the different answer choices. Please leave them the next time
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 17:45
daagh, hello, the question is really hard and interesting. Do you know the source of the question? I worry about this question much.
Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 22:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Chesstitans

This is my own question, and I don't remember wherefrom I took the passage; I have also given my views on each of the choices.

But just one thing; one of the practices that this question is supposed to give is what to do when you don't understand something in the hall.
In any case, this is a modification and comparison question, right? You can perhaps re-visit the tenets of modification and comparison and look ahead thereof. More practice seems to be the solution for your worry. If there is something worthwhile in this topic, you may take it.

Good luck

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Director
Director
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 00:42
is it a hard and fat rule that whenever and is preceded by comma, a IC should be followed???

experts please help

thanks
Re: One Question a day – Q#2 SC 26022014   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2017, 00:42

One Question a day – Q#2 SC 26022014

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap