Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [13]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Send PM
Re: Presently the East African country is focussed on privatization of sta [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The source is my own creation , exclusively done for gmatclub

daagh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 05-15-2014
Send PM
Re: Presently the East African country is focussed on privatization of sta [#permalink]
Choice B looks best

For choices A, C, D , E - there is an and between expansion of democracy and political freedom and de-escalation of..

This means the last parallel phrase de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ousting corruption says that The East African country is focussing on de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and de-escalation of ousting corruption, which is clearly not the intended meaning.

What's the OA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
I picked B based on the parallel structure. Can somebody please explain why B is wrong?
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
IMO B

(A) privatization of, expansion of, and de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ousting corruption.
All action noun parallel.
de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and
de-escalation of ousting corruption (not meaningful)

(B)privatization of, expansion of, de-escalation of and ouster of corruption.
All action noun parallel. looks ok.

(C)privatization of, expansion of, and de-escalating interethnic conflicts and on ousting corruption.
Action nouns and simple gerund nouns cant be parallel.

(D)on privatization of, on expansion of, and on de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and on ousting of corruption.
Highlighted on is required to maintain parallelism.

(E)on privatization of , expanding , and on de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ousting corruption.
Action noun cant be parallel to simple gerund noun further on is missing before expanding;
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Presently the East African country is focussed on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, and de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ousting corruption.

(A)Presently the East African country is focussed on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, and de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ousting corruption.

(B)Presently the East African country is focussed on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ouster of corruption.

(C)Presently the East African country is focussed on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expansion of democracy and political freedom, and de-escalating interethnic conflicts and on ousting corruption.

(D)Presently the East African country is focussed on privatization of state-owned enterprises, on expansion of democracy and political freedom, and de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and on ousting of corruption.

(E)Presently the East African country is focussed on privatization of state-owned enterprises, expanding democracy and political freedom, and on de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ousting corruption.

@daagh - Since you mentioned that you compiled this question, can you please explain what exactly is wrong with B. In C I can spot that there is a parallelism error.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
there is a genuine problem of parallelism in option C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
My reaction, though belatedly, is that the given OA -- C is certainly wrong and a typo. The answer is B; sorry for the mess; I am changing the OA to B in the spoiler --- daagh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
My reaction, though belatedly, is that the given OA -- C is certainly wrong and a typo. The answer is B; sorry for the mess; I am changing the OA to B in the spoiler --- daagh

hi daagh

I have a query for option B

the East African country is focussed on following 3 things.
1. privatization of state-owned enterprises
2. expansion of democracy and political freedom
3.de-escalation of interethnic conflicts and ouster of corruption.

here i just want to know how the elements of this list are connected. as there should be comma (,) before final element . but this option is not having this.

Could you please clarify this

Regards
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pathfinder.
You are correct. The correct choice should have a comma before the last element; But in fact, there are four elements.Ouster of corrruption is the fourth element and not part of the third. So kindly put a comma after confilcts and the issue could be solved. Let me also edit it. Thanks for pointing out the crucial error. One kudo to you for your keen vision
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
In A, besides the two "ands" which clearly are redundant, is "ousting corruption" wrong parallelism?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

The main decision point in this Q is the word oust - Ouster is a noun || to privatization, expansion, and de-escalation. So, B clearly conveys logical meaning.
A is wrong because 'ousting corruption' is totally nonsensical. That's it.
C, D, E are not parallel.

Binit.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts