Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [38]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 835 [16]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 878 [3]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: One result of the family's long ordeal at sea was [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Dhairya275 wrote:
One result of the family's long ordeal at sea was their appreciation that as a person dehydrates, their minds tend to wander.

A. their appreciation that as a person dehydrates, their
B. their appreciation that as people dehydrate, their
C. to appreciate that when a person dehydrates, his or her
D. to appreciate that when people dehydrate, their
E. appreciating that as people dehydrate, their

Detail Explanation Anyone !!

I would say it's not a good question to practice. Let stick to Official questions.

One result of the family's long ordeal at sea was their appreciation that as a person dehydrates, their minds tend to wander.

Wrong.
- the first "their" is confusing, "their" means plural, but "the family" is singular.
- A person vs. Their minds <--- wrong.

Wrong.
- the first "their" is confusing, "their" means plural, but "the family" is singular. Official GMAT hardly commits to a basic pronoun problem like this one.

Wrong.
- See the non-underlined part "minds" <-- plural ==> "a person" must be wrong.

Acceptable.
- D has no S-V agreement or pronoun problem. The issue is infinitive mentions indicative futuristic action, but "result" does not mean that.

Wrong.
- Progressive tense "was appreciating" is not correct here.

Hope it helps.

PS: Mike - Magoosh has a great explanation for this question in other website. Mike prefers D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
Dhairya275 wrote:

I usually replace unfamiliar wording with more familiar wording to test the structure of the sentence (For meaning don't change the wording). For this sentence, my approach was:

One result of the scientists' research was their appreciation
against
One result of the scientists' research was to appreciate

In this case "their appreciation" makes more sense, so C,D and E and Wrong.

The second issue is of a Person dehydrates, their Vs. People dehydrate, their
It's simple enough, when people dehydrate, their.....

So A is also wrong, that leaves us with B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
suk1234 wrote:
Dhairya275 wrote:

I usually replace unfamiliar wording with more familiar wording to test the structure of the sentence (For meaning don't change the wording). For this sentence, my approach was:

One result of the scientists' research was their appreciation
against
One result of the scientists' research was to appreciate

In this case "their appreciation" makes more sense, so C,D and E and Wrong.

The second issue is of a Person dehydrates, their Vs. People dehydrate, their
It's simple enough, when people dehydrate, their.....

So A is also wrong, that leaves us with B.

Hi,
Acc to Manhattan SC, all they,them, their refer to the same plural antecedent. Here, the second 'their' refers to 'person' but the first 'their' don't refer to 'person'.
Hence, the sentence is grammatically wrong.
IMO, the answer has to be (d).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GRE 1: Q170 V159
Send PM
Kudos
This is a great question on linking verbs in parallelism

Look at this example (Source: Manhattan GMAT 4th edition):

The bouquet of flowers was a giving a love

The above example is not structurally paralleled. Was is a linking verb which should connect both the structure in parallel

A right form of writing the same would be The bouquet of flowers was a gift of love

We can solve the question under discussion in the same way.

Dhairya275 wrote:

One result of X was their appreciation. Both structured in parallel. To appreciate and appreciating would be not be parallel to the noun one result

Kudos if you like my post :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Dhairya275 wrote:

I dont agree to the OA. This screenshot down below is from Manhattan Gmat Book.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 3.13.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 3.13.06 AM.png [ 32.27 KiB | Viewed 15268 times ]

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Quote:
I dont agree to the OA. This screenshot down below is from Manhattan Gmat Book.

well the problem with grammar is that, unlike maths, it is not governed by some hard facts !! i am not contending the rule given in Manhattan book .that rule is fine !! but the problem is that "this rule" does not present various other cases and exceptions .in fact, it is almost impossible to write a book that makes all rules very clear(BTW Manhattan SC is master piece)
so where is the real problem? ----->"this rule" (the one u have quoted) will hold true as long as u do not have another "noun" in the middle of the sentence
so in the sentence : their appreciation that as people dehydrate, their------>"their" can very well refer to "people"

is it clear now?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [3]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: One result of the family's long ordeal at sea was their appreciation [#permalink]
Kudos
HERE ARE MY VIEWS

Q:> One result of the family's long ordeal at sea was their appreciation that as a person dehydrates, their minds tend to wander.

A: their appreciation that as a person dehydrates, their > Sub-verb agreement error

B: their appreciation that as people dehydrate, their >Correct in meaning

> Although "FAMILY" is singular but here the 1st "their" used refers to the FAMILY

> The reason for this is usage is that the decision is of all the family members as in this sentence [The staff are in disagreement over the findings] >staff members are in disagreement

C: to appreciate that when a person dehydrates, his or her > To is wrong, that is required

D: to appreciate that when people dehydrate, their > To is wrong, that is required

E: appreciating that as people dehydrate, their
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: One result of the family's long ordeal at sea was their appreciation [#permalink]
Kudos

their appreciation that as a person dehydrates, their - SV minds - person
their appreciation that as people dehydrate, their - Correct their can be used to explain that every individual in the family appreciated
to appreciate that when a person dehydrates, his or her- SV minds - person
to appreciate that when people dehydrate, their - to + verb is used to present intent of an action
appreciating that as people dehydrate, their - Verb tense error
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [2]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
I found one post of mikemcgarry on other forum..won't post the name of it here..but here is his explanation. Thanks again Mike for clearing things up for me :)

Hi, there. I'm happy to contribute to this. Smile

First, let's address the pronoun & number difficulties.

"Family" is singular, so use of the pronoun "their" is incorrect. This is a classic GMAT SC mistake --- to use a singular noun (like "family", "company", "crowd", etc.) which implicitly contains a number of people, and then refer to it with a plural pronoun. The GMAT loves this as a mistake pattern. We find this classic mistake pattern in (A) and (B), so they are both right out.

On the other side of the sentence, "minds" is plural, so that requires a plural subject --- not the "his or her" singular subject of (C) --- "his or her minds" is incorrect, so (C) is out.

That leaves (D) and (E).
D: to appreciate that when people dehydrate, their
E: appreciating that as people dehydrate, their

What I find problematic about this question --- there's not a clear black/white grammatical distinction between these two choices. On the GMAT, you will always find something black/white that allows you to determine which of two choices is correct. What we have here is very subtle, more subtle that what I have seen from GMAC. Both "when" and "as" are correct, so the choice is simply between the infinitive "to appreciate" vs. the gerund "appreciating"

To my ear, the predicate following "result" should be an infinitive, not a gerund.

"the result is to do X" --- this sounds idiomatically correct, direct, and clear
"the result is doing X" --- this sounds weaker, less forceful, and awkward

Because of that, I'll say I prefer D as the answer, but I will hasten to add: I don't feel as committed to this answer as I would to an answer in the GMAT itself, because I feel there's not a strong enough black/white distinction among these answer choices.

Fundamentally, I think this is a poorly written question. It's surprising how many low quality sources out there are producing questions for the GMAT, and the unsuspecting public gobbles those questions up. In the next few weeks, Magoosh will publish book reviews of the various GMAT books on the our free blog ---- basically, all sources in print received poor grades except for MGMAT.

Here's a higher quality SC question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1183
When you submit your answer, the following page will have the complete video explanation.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if anyone reading this has any further questions.

Mike Smile
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM