GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 02 Jun 2020, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Online MBA - Help Needed

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Online MBA - Help Needed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2020, 07:34
I need your help/advice. Im a husband/father with three kids 6yrs old and under. I’m based in Atlanta and am a business advisor with a F500 real estate tech firm. I’m looking to advance my career internally or perhaps look into commercial real estate once my MBA is finished.

I’m currently enrolled at UIUC iMBA (University of Illinois Urbana Champaign) I chose this program for the cost $22k. However I’m also accepted to Florida State’s online MBA that has a specialization in Real Estate for $30K I’m also looking into Auburn’s online MBA for $35K.

Here’s my dilemma. The UIUC brand doesn’t translate very well down here in the south. I do plan to spend my career in the southeast if I can help it. I’m doing an MBA for the knowledge but also network and alumni groups are of importance to me as well.

What would be my best play here?
UIUC $22K
FSU $30K - RE Specialization
Auburn $35K

Criteria is 1) Education 2) ROI 3) Networking/ Alumni Groups/ Brand name.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Online MBA - Help Needed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2020, 08:58
Hi MBATL,

Welcome to GMAT Club. The answer generally depends on what you need your MBA for and how you expect it to help you further your career. There is definitely value in differentiating yourself from other applicants for a position and indicating that you are serious about your career and you want to grow beyond your current role. I feel any of these programs can indicate it and demonstrate those intentions. As to the reputation or sphere of influence, online MBA programs tend to have a weaker reputation and impact experience so I probably would not care too much which program is local/regional/etc and instead focus on other aspects. I think the RE program is a good option since that's up your alley and likely will connect you with other classmates who are also interested in Real Estate and perhaps an alum network, even if it is regional and not very powerful but it can be helpful for its depth if not width.

Otherwise, you definitely do not want to go deep into loans and you want to make sure you can pay off the tuition even if things take a turn for the worse in real estate like they have done 10 years ago. I would make sure you can pay off your debt/education with your current income levels and not "count on" a bump in earnings after graduation as it is ways away.

Congrats on your next step in your career!
Good Luck!
BB.
Re: Online MBA - Help Needed   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2020, 08:58

Online MBA - Help Needed

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate