GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2019, 03:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Online MBA: Washington State, Boise State, Southern Utah, U o Illinois

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Online MBA: Washington State, Boise State, Southern Utah, U o Illinois  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 21:30
All but U of Illinois have I heard back, regardless assuming I am accepted which would be the best to go. I live in Utah and am looking for an MBA as a career move up in my company and so I am wondering which would be the best to go to?

Thanks for any help.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Online MBA: Washington State, Boise State, Southern Utah, U o Illinois  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 22:08
Gotime4 wrote:
All but U of Illinois have I heard back, regardless assuming I am accepted which would be the best to go. I live in Utah and am looking for an MBA as a career move up in my company and so I am wondering which would be the best to go to?

Thanks for any help.

In regards to the options you presented:
You definitely plan to stay at your current firm, right?
Will you get the promotion you desire with an online degree? (Do you know if your company treats it the same way as they would an on-campus degree?)
Will your company help pay for the program?

Also:
Do you live in SLC?
Would you consider an evening program at the UofU, UVU, Westminster, etc.?
Intern
Intern
Re: Online MBA: Washington State, Boise State, Southern Utah, U o Illinois  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 11:39
teleste wrote:
Gotime4 wrote:

Thanks for any help.

In regards to the options you presented:
You definitely plan to stay at your current firm, right?
Will you get the promotion you desire with an online degree? (Do you know if your company treats it the same way as they would an on-campus degree?)
Will your company help pay for the program?

Also:
Do you live in SLC?
Would you consider an evening program at the UofU, UVU, Westminster, etc.?

Yeah I want to stay with my current firm, they are fine with it being an online mba, they will pay for $5250 a calendar year.
I live in Utah County, like 40 mins south of SLC, I looked at UofU and it is $60k and UVU is not accredited, and Westminster is like $50k, these schools I am looking at are like $20k-$35k. I just want to keep the costs down.

Thanks for you help
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 12:42
Gotime4 wrote:
Yeah I want to stay with my current firm, they are fine with it being an online mba, they will pay for $5250 a calendar year.
I live in Utah County, like 40 mins south of SLC, I looked at UofU and it is $60k and UVU is not accredited, and Westminster is like $50k, these schools I am looking at are like $20k-$35k. I just want to keep the costs down.

Thanks for you help

Well, if you are up for a unique atmosphere, have the profile to get admitted, look good in blue, and are willing to pay close to $50k, there is a fairly well-regarded Executive MBA program in Provo that may also be worth considering, if only for a moment...

That said, since you are committed to staying at your firm, and acquiring the degree could really help you with career progression, I think in your situation an online program does make sense. (For most people I don't think that is the case.) You're wise to want to keep costs down. (I am yet to see hard evidence that paying IU or UNC $100k+ for an online degree holds any greater weight than doing it from the cheaper options available.)

IMO (note: this is without knowing anything about the curricula or timelines of any of the programs you mentioned), there will be no difference in outcome for you no matter which program you pursue to get your MBA. With that in mind, I think you can pick the one you think fits the best or is the most inexpensive. If I were you, I would see if you can stretch one over three years instead of just two, and that way your firm's tuition reimbursement program can go further. One of these programs may offer particular electives the others don't that you find appealing, that could also weigh on the decision. If possible, you should reach out to folks who have completed the online programs to ask them about their experience. If you can't find these people on LinkedIn, it may be worth just asking SUU, BSU, Illinois, WSU to connect you with some of their alumni. They will have the most sage advice on what it is like to complete their programs and I suspect will be able to offer you some really solid advice.

Good luck with the decision!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 15:01
teleste wrote:
Gotime4 wrote:

Thanks for you help

Well, if you are up for a unique atmosphere, have the profile to get admitted, look good in blue, and are willing to pay close to $50k, there is a fairly well-regarded Executive MBA program in Provo that may also be worth considering, if only for a moment...

That said, since you are committed to staying at your firm, and acquiring the degree could really help you with career progression, I think in your situation an online program does make sense. (For most people I don't think that is the case.) You're wise to want to keep costs down. (I am yet to see hard evidence that paying IU or UNC $100k+ for an online degree holds any greater weight than doing it from the cheaper options available.)

IMO (note: this is without knowing anything about the curricula or timelines of any of the programs you mentioned), there will be no difference in outcome for you no matter which program you pursue to get your MBA. With that in mind, I think you can pick the one you think fits the best or is the most inexpensive. If I were you, I would see if you can stretch one over three years instead of just two, and that way your firm's tuition reimbursement program can go further. One of these programs may offer particular electives the others don't that you find appealing, that could also weigh on the decision. If possible, you should reach out to folks who have completed the online programs to ask them about their experience. If you can't find these people on LinkedIn, it may be worth just asking SUU, BSU, Illinois, WSU to connect you with some of their alumni. They will have the most sage advice on what it is like to complete their programs and I suspect will be able to offer you some really solid advice.

Good luck with the decision!

Hey thanks for the Advice. I thought about BYU but it is still $50k and the Executive program is half day Friday and most of Saturday in Downtown SLC. That just makes work and family time that much harder. I am realizing I am putting more value into the flexibility of online because I get to dictate what time I use towards the degree and not have to go to physical classrooms and work around the classroom hours.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Online MBA: Washington State, Boise State, Southern Utah, U o Illinois   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2019, 15:01

Online MBA: Washington State, Boise State, Southern Utah, U o Illinois

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste