Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [641]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [248]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [95]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [37]
Send PM
Re: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A dash is a mark of separation stronger than a comma, less formal than a colon, and more relaxed than parentheses.
Unlike other forms of punctuation, the dash does not have one specific usage. when you want a phrase or another part of the sentence to have extra emphasis, a dash may be used. Take a look at this sentence:

There are three things every repairman must have: a screwdriver, a hammer, and a saw.

In this sentence, a colon has been used. The writing seems to be formal. In addition, the writing seems to NOT need any extra emphasis.

Look at the following sentence:
The only thing Tony could do—if he could do anything at all—was to sit and wait for the test results to come in the mail.

In this sentence, dashes are used because it seems informal and the clause inside the dashes needs some emphasis. The emphasis is added in order to show that Tony could do nothing in this situation. The writer could have used parentheses, but parentheses may have been too formal for this situation.

Here in the question the author is introducing bees to put more emphasis on his statements against white shark, the man-eater of the movies
so dash should be used here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [30]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—less than those killed by bee stings.
A. movies—less than those

Problem one - Less is normally used for uncountable things. People is countable. This kills C as well.
Even while using less than, verb forms should be parallel. Have been killed is not parallel to killed. Kills D and E

B. movies—fewer than have been
Perfect.
C. movies, which is less than those
Less than used again. Verb form not parallel.
D. movies, a number lower than the people
Lower is does not mean less. Lower is more closer to shorter/smaller.
E. movies, fewer than the ones
Verb form error.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [24]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
B. choosed it under llism.

-have been killed by the great white shark, ..
-movies - fewer than have been killed by bee stings.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [5]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

700slave wrote:
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—less than those killed by bee stings.

(A) movies—less than those

(B) movies—fewer than have been

(C) movies, which is less than those

(D) movies, a number lower than the people

(E) movies, fewer than the ones

Choice A: This answer choice incorrectly uses "less" to modify "people", a countable noun. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice modifies the countable noun "people" with the correct modifier, "fewer", avoids pronoun ambiguity, and conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice C: This answer choice repeats the error found in Option A. Moreover, due to the use of the "comma + which" combination the phrase "which is less than those..." modifies the noun "movies". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice incorrectly uses "lower" to modify "people", a countable noun. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice suffers from pronoun ambiguity, regarding the phrase "the ones"; there are two plural nouns that "ones" could refer to, "people" and "movies". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Collective, Countable, and Uncountable Nouns on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Avoiding Pronoun Ambiguity on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 860 [10]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
700slave,

Checked my notes on the hyphen, and I am pasting it for your reference.

Hyphens are used for prefixes like ex-, self-. Hyphens are used in compound numbers like forty-five, and with fractions used as adjectives.
Right: A two-thirds vote was necessary to pass the law
Wrong: Only two-thirds of the students passed the final exam

Hyphens are used with a compound adjective when it comes before the word it modifies, but not after the word it modifies.

Wrong: The arguments continued into the night with no-holds-barred
Right: The no-holds-barred argument continued into the night

Hyphens are also used to emphasize a point being made in the sentence.

------------

Ok!! With regards to the answer choices.

As it is possible to count the number of shark attack victims, fewer is preferable to less. Between B and E, "fewer than (what?) have been" has no clear referrent. fewer than what??

D is more wordy, and E conveys the same meaning using "fewer" words.

Enuf said.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [13]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The answer is 'B' - the clue is the number 7. When talking about a definite number, 'fewer' must be used. When talking abstract numbers, 'lesser' is used.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
amitdgr wrote:

How exactly is "," & "-" should be used ??

Well, just goes to show you... some of those clowns making GMAT prep materials don't speak proper English.

The answer should be B.

A is wrong because "less" is obviously the improper modifier to use.
C is wrong because the "which is" construction makes it awkward and, again, you have "less."
D is wrong on face.
E is wrong because what "the ones" refers to is vague. You could infer it, of course, but the construction is all effed up.

Honestly, the so-called "rules" for using dashes change all the time, depending on what medium you're communicating in. The "&" symbol is inappropriate almost anywhere, except perhaps in a title (eg. Johnson & Johnson). How and where to use commas is worthy of an entire book of English grammar, and to tell the truth, the vast majority of people misuse them. College-educated folks here in the States write with awful comma splices and usage all the time. Pick up an MLA manual and read about it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [10]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer is provided by many guys appropriately. Just trying to explain the difference between usage of fewer and less.

Fewer:
Fewer is used with countable nouns: people, animals, chairs, shoes.

1.You know fewer people than I do.
2.There should be fewer books on the table.
3.I have fewer ideas than everyone else.
4.Fewer of us show up each year.

Less
Less is used for uncountable, usually abstract nouns: money, happiness, snow, idealism.

1.I hope less snow falls this year.
2.We need more money and less debt.
3.I have less computer savvy than you.
4.You should spend less of your time complaining.

Less is also used with adjectives and adverbs:

1.I'm less happy than I used to be.
2.He runs less quickly than you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [5]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Ankit04041987 wrote:

Only seven HAVE BEEN KILLED by Animal A- less/fewer than HAVE BEEN by Animal B.

C,D and E are out because "which", "a number", "fewer" touch the movies. By touch rule, these phrases modify the movies. This is incorrect.
Now, we are left with A and B. We need to maintain parallelism and only B uses HAVE BEEN...

Answer: B
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [4]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ankurgupta03 wrote:
Can someone throw some light on why E is wrong and when to use the touch rule of modifier ...

There is a verb tense error in E

B. movies—fewer than have been (killed)
E. movies, fewer than the ones (killed)

The touching rule is used for noun-modifiers and has only few exceptions:
1)parallel structure like
noun, which(touches the noun) .... and which (does not touch the noun, but is in a parallel structure)
2)noun with modifiers or prepositional phrases like
the car of the year (prep phrase) that won the championship(refers to the car even if it touches the noun "year")

At the moment I cannot remember any other case... hope this answers your question!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Experts,

Can anyone comment on how correct option works? What kind of construction is this?

Thanks
H

Hi imhimanshu. I'm glad to help.
Hi gmatter0913. I'd like to confirm OA is E. Please refer to my explanation below.

Some theories:
(1) If A modifier is blocked off by commas, it should be blocked off both sides with the same punctuations.. If you use a comma on the left, you must use a comma on the right. The same pattern is used for a dash (-)
(2) The dash (-) is a flexible punctuation mark. You can use a dash as an emphatic comma, semicolon, or colon.

A. moviesless than those
Wrong. The left side of the modifier is a comma --> the dash on the right is wrong. In addition, "less" is wrong here.

B. moviesfewer than have been
Wrong. Same error as in A. The left side of the modifier is a comma --> the dash on the right is wrong.

Wrong. "which" modifies the movies --> Make no sense --> wrong. In addition, "less" is incorrect.

Wrong comparison: "a number vs. the people"

Correct. The comparison is: Only seven people have been killed by white shark fewer than the ones (have been) killed by bee stings.

Same color denotes comparisons in the sentence.

Hope it helps.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [32]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos