GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 10:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
P
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Apr 2020, 07:05
[quote="700slave"]Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—less than those killed by bee stings.

(A) movies—less than those

(B) movies—fewer than have been

(C) movies, which is less than those

(D) movies, a number lower than the people

(E) movies, fewer than the ones

"seven people" is a number, so, it should be compared to a number.
seven people have been killed by shark, lower than the number of people who have been killed by bee stings.

the point gmat want to test here is how to compare a group of person to a specific number.

fewer than 7 persons have been killed by sharks.

this is a correct sentence.

we need following pattern to use "fewer "

fewer than+ specific number + persons"

we cannot eliminate the specific number. we can not say " fewer than+ people" . you can not say

less than those
lower than people
fewer than ones

in fact, choice A, C, D and E present the 3 cases above. we need to add a specific number.

or you have to use
that number of who have been killed by sharks is smaller than the number of persons who have been killed by bee stings.
we add "number" and use 'smaller". this is too wordy.

if we DO NOT HAVE A SPECIFIC, we have to use the pattern choice B presents.

fewer than have been killed by bee stings.

. so, we know 3 ways to put "persons" into comparison. the pattern in choice B is strange and I think, i can not remember this pattern.

if we can not remember the pattern of choice B, we can easily remember that

fewer than+persons/those/ones
is incorrect.

knowing above pattern is incorrect is good enough for us to go to OA choice B.

ONE MORE THING
is "fewer than have been killed..." adjectival or adverbial

I think the phrase is adverbial because if it is adjectival, it should be closed to the head noun if modifies. to know whether comma+adjective phrase is adverb , we should read semantic /meaning functions of adverbial in grammar book.

semantically , there are many types of adverbial, one of which shows evaluation or comment on the content of the main clause.
so, I think "fewer than have been ...". fall in to " this kind because this phrase show the comment on the content of the man clause.

it is an adverbial, not adjectival.

if someone think that
good math of an engineer + good english of English teacher =good analysis of business competition,
we still can satisfy what it wants.

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 20 Jan 2019, 01:58.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 15 Apr 2020, 07:05, edited 5 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Re: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 01:09
The answer should keep the dash. The dash is stronger than the comma and cannot be used to replace it.

Out of the remaining two, B is the ‘fewer than have been killed’ maintains parallelism with ‘have been killed’.

B is the right answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2019, 09:29
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—less than those killed by bee stings.

Less than is used for uncountable noun.

Although its passive but it is only Grammatically correct answer

Which is wrongly used

Number is compared to People

Fewer has no proper modification
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2019, 16:04
700slave wrote:

"those" refers to a noun not present (the other people bitten)
"less" is also reserved for uncountable nouns

correct use of "fewer", no random pronoun reference

"which" is incorrectly used as it modifies movies here
"less" is also reserved for uncountable nouns

a number cannot be "lower than the people" -- illogical comparison

same issue as A) "ones" refers to a nonexistent noun
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 07:20
Can someone elaborate on the complete form of (B) without ellipsis? (I mean cutting short of words to be conscise)

Is it - fewer than THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE THAT/WHO have been killed by bee stings ???

Please let me know if above expansion is right.
Experts' Global Representative
P
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2020, 02:59
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

700slave wrote:

Choice A: This answer choice incorrectly uses "less" to modify "people", a countable noun. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice modifies the countable noun "people" with the correct modifier, "fewer", avoids pronoun ambiguity, and conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice C: This answer choice repeats the error found in Option A. Moreover, due to the use of the "comma + which" combination the phrase "which is less than those..." modifies the noun "movies". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice incorrectly uses "lower" to modify "people", a countable noun. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice suffers from pronoun ambiguity, regarding the phrase "the ones"; there are two plural nouns that "ones" could refer to, "people" and "movies". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Collective, Countable, and Uncountable Nouns on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Avoiding Pronoun Ambiguity on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 02:28

My issue is with choice B, the number of people is being compared however the comparison is not very clear to me.

Should it not be something like "- fewer than the no of people who have been"
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 08:40
manavsehgal123 wrote:

My issue is with choice B, the number of people is being compared however the comparison is not very clear to me.

Should it not be something like "- fewer than the no of people who have been"

Hello manavsehgal123,

Thank you for the query. :-)

The sentence with Choice B reads: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—fewer than have been killed by bee stings.

The above-sentence is correct because it presents the intended comparison correctly. So what is the intended comparison? The sentence says that seven people have been killed by the great white shark. However, more people have been killed by bee stings.

So, the intended comparison is between the two actions of been killed - 7 have been killed by the shark while more have been killed by bee stings. The correct answer choice presents this intended comparison between the two actions. Hence, we see the usage of the verb have been killed in the second part of the comparison.

Let's try to understand what meaning will the sentence conveyed if we add the number of people who.... In this structure, the action of been killed by the shark in the first part of the sentence will be compared to the number of people. So, the sentence ends up ungrammatically comparing an action with a noun entity. Please note that who have been killed by bee stings is just a modifier/descriptor for the noun the number of people.

Hence, to compare one action with another, we must mention a proper verb in the second part of the comparison as we see in Choice B.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2020, 06:23
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—fewer than have been killed by bee stings.
Remember that one of the qualities of parallel structure --- in some sense, the very point of parallelism --- is that we can omit a large number of common words as assumed. In the first clause, the subject is "seven people", or somewhat more formally, [number] people or "the number of people" --- those words are assumed in the second part of the sentence--- "fewer than the number of people that have been killed by bee stings", with the green part showing the common words that were properly omitted in the parallel structure. One could say --- the very point of parallelism is to omit such words.

- "fewer than the number of people that have been killed by bee stings", is what comes after the dash as mentioned by you.
If i compare this with the first clause i.e Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, People is the only word that is common with the first clause. The words ' number of ' and 'that' do not appear in the first clause.

So in this sentence i can assume that these words are a part of the clause even though these words are not explicitly mentioned in the sentence and cannot be derived implicitly from the concept of ellipsis?
mikemcgarry
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 22:43
Hi experts,

Could someone please explain the role of fewer after the dash in answer choice B. I understand that fewer is an adjective and it should be describing "number of people killed by bee stings"

However, i think there is no conjunction between the 2 clauses.

First Clause: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark
Second Clause: fewer than people have been killed by bee stings.

Whereas in answer choice D, you have the noun + noun modifier, so there is no need for a conjunction between the 2 clauses.

Could someone please explain me where am i going wrong.

Best regards,
Intern
Intern
S
Schools: INSEAD, ISB '21
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V31
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 04:35
When we compare numbers, and numbers decrease, we can simply go back to using “less.”
• The population of Mongolia is less than that of Los Angeles.
• The cost of a night at the opera is less than total cost of a day at the ballgame.
• The melting point of zinc is less than that of copper.( BTW, “melting point” is a temperature, so it is indeed a number.)

Considering the above why cant A be correct in this case. ( It is comparing numbers and number decrease )
GMATNinja can you please clarify regarding this

I have found this topic in comparisons concept.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 10:53
renzofig The long dash is the most open-ended punctuation mark in the language, so I can understand the confusion. We can't all seem to agree on exactly how they should be used. Some people use them all the time and some people don't use them at all! The general idea is that the dash introduces some kind of break. Here are a few uses I've seen in official GMAT SC:

*Two dashes can set aside parenthetical information. In this way, it functions just like parentheses, which are--to my knowledge--never used in SC. (See how I used dashes to make a parenthetical just now? ;) )
https://gmatclub.com/forum/heirloom-tom ... ml#p570995
https://gmatclub.com/forum/each-of-hemi ... l#p2432441

*A single dash can be used to reintroduce an earlier subject, often so that we can apply a modifier. This is what we'd have if we used a dash in choice D. With a comma, we expect the appositive noun to apply to the preceding noun or noun phrase, but with a long dash we can see a bit more of a stretch.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/proponents-o ... l#p1988421

*A single dash can also introduce a modifier or fragment that applies back to something earlier in the sentence. That's what we have in A and B. The modifier "fewer" (or "less" in the wrong version) is referring back to the count of people killed.

*Sometimes a dash is used exactly where we'd expect a colon.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/yellow-jacke ... l#p2290086
https://gmatclub.com/forum/some-anthrop ... l#p1357746

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 10:58
manvig You're right that we can use "less" to compare numbers or quantities, but in this case the subject isn't a number or quantity; it's seven people, so we need to go with a comparator for countable (plural) nouns.

Also, in some of the cases where people are using "less," we should use "lower." A melting point would be lower, not less, than another melting point. We aren't comparing how MUCH of something we have, but rather the point at which something happens. In any case, we often use "lower" to compare things like prices/salaries, temperatures, proportions, etc.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2020, 22:10
GMATNinja wrote:
warrior1991 wrote:
GMATNinja A lot of contention is going on between B and E. Though I marked B on the basis of tense parallelism (have been), why is E wrong?
Is this the tense parallelism factor that leads to E winning over B.

I also see some great explanation by mikemcgarry ,who says both B and E are correct. But at the end of the day we have to choose one option and we must have an explanation to reject the other.
I am not getting a reason to reject E. I rejected it on the basis of my instinct.

Please enlighten.

Yeah, (B) and (E) are pretty confusing. I could swear that I'd written a long explanation of this at some point, but I think that was only in my head. :idontknow:

So here's that explanation that was apparently trapped in my head, QOTD-style:

Quote:

I don't think anybody is tempted by this one. "Those" is a plural pronoun that logically needs to refer back to "people." So then we have "less than the people killed by bee stings" -- and that doesn't work, because "less" is a non-countable modifier, and "people" are definitely countable.

So (A) is out.

Quote:

This seems fine. It sets up the comparison nicely: "seven people... have been killed by the great white shark", and that's "fewer than have been killed by bee stings." I'm not sure how we could ask for anything more from this one. Sure, you might be tempted to change this to "fewer PEOPLE than have been killed by bee stings", but it's perfectly clear without the word "people", right?

And in case you're wondering: honestly, I wouldn't waste any brain cells worrying about dashes. The world's best editors and grammar/style/usage experts don't fully agree on the correct use of dashes, and the GMAT really doesn't go crazy testing you on those nuances. More on dashes and other punctuation in this video.

Anyway, we can keep (B).

Hi Sir, i am confused with the usage — in A & B here. can you explain please? thank you very much!
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: HBS, Sloan (MIT), INSEAD
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2020, 05:51
Appreciation motivated me. So Don’t Shy away.

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, - This is an independent clause
the man-eater of the movies – This is the modifier modifying the great white shark.
—less than those killed by bee stings.

A dash is used to add additional though to the main clause. We are comparing seven people which is a countable noun as we need to use few and hence less is incorrect. Less water/few balls.

We are comparing seven people which is a countable noun as we need to use few and hence less is incorrect. Less water/few balls.

This appears to be the right choice.

, which modifies the preceding noun movies which is incorrect.

In this choice we are comparing the number with the people which changes the meaning of the sentence.

(E) compares the number of people killed by the sharks to the specific people killed by bee stings
Hence Answer is B.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2020, 05:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 55 posts ] 

Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white sha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics