GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Operations at the Green Hills Gold Mine are continuously

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Operations at the Green Hills Gold Mine are continuously  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Dec 2013, 19:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

82% (01:27) correct 18% (01:51) wrong based on 263 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Operations at the Green Hills Gold Mine are continuously releasing mercury into the headwaters of the Apache River, and most fish in the Apache River now have mercury levels at or above the legal limit for human consumption. With the price of gold rising, forcing more and more mining at Green Hills, there seems no hope for food fishing along the Apache River.

Which of the following plans, if feasible, would allow the state to assist the food fishing industries along the Apache?

A)State workers will test the algae and underwater plants for mercury, removing those above a certain mercury threshold. These algae and plants are the principal food source of the food fish.

B)The state bank will start to buy up large amounts of gold, preferentially buying directly from the Green Hills mines.

C)Every six months, the state will send testers to twelve locations along the upper and lower Apache River, to test the mercury content in the water and in fish.

D)The state will mount a public awareness campaign, educating private citizen and restaurateurs about the dangers of high levels of mercury in food fish.

E)Immediately downstream from Green Hills, the state will install a sophisticated ionic filtration plant, which will substantially reduce the level of heavy metals (including mercury) in the water.

OA to follow ..

Originally posted by guerrero25 on 09 Dec 2013, 00:40.
Last edited by guerrero25 on 09 Dec 2013, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: Operations at the Green Hills Gold Mine are continuously  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2013, 07:13
IMO E.

Premise 1: Operations at the Green Hills Gold Mine releasing mercury into the headwaters of the Apache River, and most fish with mercury levels at or above the legal limit for human consumption.

Premise 2: Increasing Gold-mining due to rising prices of gold (another heavy metal like mercury)

Conclusion: No hope for food fishing along the Apache River

How do we assist in terms of nullifying the the effects so that food fishing will be hopeful in future?

A)State workers will test the algae and underwater plants for mercury, removing those above a certain mercury threshold. These algae and plants are the principal food source of the food fish. Doesn't really help curb the Mercury incidents among fish and also doesn't address Gold Mining concern

B)The state bank will start to buy up large amounts of gold, preferentially buying directly from the Green Hills mines. ---Discarded doesn't address either of the concerns.

C)Every six months, the state will send testers to twelve locations along the upper and lower Apache River, to test the mercury content in the water and in fish. -- This too does little to address the concerns of mercury levels in fish along with Gold mining concern.

D)The state will mount a public awareness campaign, educating private citizen and restaurateurs about the dangers of high levels of mercury in food fish. -- Doesn't effectively say how will this be effective in addressing the dual concerns.

E)Immediately downstream from Green Hills, the state will install a sophisticated ionic filtration plant, which will substantially reduce the level of heavy metals (including mercury) in the water. ---Yep this the initiative that will address mercury level along with decrease in gold available in the mines in the future.

Please provide OA long with OE. Thanks. :-)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 01:26
I don't think E is the correct one since people are fishing along the river which implies that there are fishers who do fishing at the upper stream and in the middle of the river. In fact, none of the answer seems to be strong enough to evaluate the argument made by the author.
Manager
Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2015, 17:11
This question is good. What puzzled me is that I cannot categorize it in one of the common Question Types (Weaken, Strengthen, Assumption...)

The question is originally categorized as "Evaluate Argument" but I don´t think it corresponds to that type.

I guess it is just one of those questions that is useless trying to categorize. As always, the main concern is just getting the question correct, right?

What do you guys think?

Consider giving me Kudos if I helped, but don´t take them away if I didn´t! :)

What would you do if you weren´t afraid?

Director
Director
D
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 03:14

Official Explanation

We have a problem. Gold mining releases mercury, which contaminates the fish, enough that they are dangerous for humans to eat. Consequently, the food fishing industry is dying, and we want to implement a plan that will address this problem and save this dying industry.

(E) is the credited answer. If we can lower the mercury levels just downstream from the Green Hills mines, which will solve the problem at its root cause.

(A) Do the fish get the mercury from eating the alga? We don't know. Suppose they do: even then, this won't help ---- it certainly will not benefit the fish if we wind up removed their primarily source of food. Instead of living fish full of mercury, we would have fish that starved to death. Hardly an improvement!

(B) buying gold will only increase the pace of mining, which will increase the levels of mercury released into the river, which will exacerbate the problem, rather than solving it.

Both (C) & (D) make the same fallacy: knowledge, in and of itself, is not a solution. Simply knowing how much more mercury there is, or having citizens knowing the dangers of ingesting mercury, will not, by itself, make the mercury level drop or save the fishing industry in any way.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 05:59
nam130590 wrote:
I don't think E is the correct one since people are fishing along the river which implies that there are fishers who do fishing at the upper stream and in the middle of the river. In fact, none of the answer seems to be strong enough to evaluate the argument made by the author.

I echo the same. And yes,despite reading all the explanations here, I am NOT convinced.
Re: Operations at the Green Hills Gold Mine are continuously &nbs [#permalink] 19 Aug 2018, 05:59

Operations at the Green Hills Gold Mine are continuously

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap