GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 14:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Organic vegetables are free of chemicals and healthier than regular ag

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Organic vegetables are free of chemicals and healthier than regular ag  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 21:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

23% (00:43) correct 77% (00:43) wrong based on 550 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Organic vegetables are free of chemicals and healthier than regular agricultural produce is.

A. healthier than regular agricultural produce is

B. more healthy than regular agricultural produce is

C. healthier as regular agricultural produce is

D. healthier than regular agricultural produce

E. are as healthy than regular agricultural produce is

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Organic vegetables are free of chemicals and healthier than regular ag  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2018, 21:11
IMO the answer should be D. We are comparing 'organic vegetables' to 'regular agricultural produce'. The 'is' is not required here. as that doesn't help maintain required parallelism structure.

Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Organic vegetables are free of chemicals and healthier than regular ag  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 01:16
Bunuel wrote:
Organic vegetables are free of chemicals and healthier than regular agricultural produce is.

organic vegetables are healthier than regular agriculture produce. comparison is between vegetables organic and regular so is not necessary.
D fits
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 04:55

D. healthier than regular agricultural produce --> correct

Example:
Correct: Ram is taller than Sam.
Wrong: Ram is taller than Sam is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 06:15
OA can be either A or D

A: healthier than regular agricultural produce is.
D: healthier than regular agricultural produce.

Quote:
The GMAT occasionally allows unnecessary helping verbs:
Right: Apples are more healthy to eat than caramels.
Right: Apples are more healthy to eat than caramels ARE.

Source: MGMAT SC

Both A and D are grammatically correct.

Good, good Let the kudos flow through you

SC Moderator
G
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 11:05
Only Option A and D holds good, rest all are flawed.

A. healthier than regular agricultural produce is --> Correct, usage of verb 'is' in latter part of comparison makes the option structurally legit and concise.

D. healthier than regular agricultural produce --> Though Grammatically correct, the option is redundant and structurally incorrect

Hence, A.

The few, the fearless !

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 22:04
Bunuel wrote:

I went with the Process of Elimination.

vegetables are compared with regular agri. produce. Both are plural so the usage-'IS' is out. ABC Out.
E. As.....Than.. (faulty usage)

My Choice -D
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 19:04
Hello Bunuel,

I think the official answer should be D. A can't be the answer considering the parallelism.
Please correct me if my thought process is wrong.

daagh, abhimahna, GMATNinja please help.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 21:32
jackspire wrote:
Hello Bunuel,

I think the official answer should be D. A can't be the answer considering the parallelism.

Official Explanation from Economist GMAT:

CORRECT - This sentence makes correct grammatical use of the Comparative and is stylistically sound by using a conjugated verb in the second part of the Comparative construction (i.e., after the word than).

This answer choice is grammatically correct, but uses awkward wording with the phrase more healthy instead of healthier. This creates redundancy.

This answer choice is illogical as well as grammatically incorrect. The word higher (or any adjective+er) cannot be complemented by as because higher indicates an inequality between the two things compared whereas as indicates a similarity between them.

What helps us identify this question as a Comparative question as well as identify the mistake is the following Stop Sign:

Like, unlike, than, as

Although this answer choice is grammatically correct, it is stylistically flawed. A stylistic preference in Comparative questions is that there will be a conjugated verb in the second part of the Comparative construction (i.e., after the word than).

This answer choice is illogical as well as grammatically incorrect. The word as cannot be complemented by than because as indicates an equality or a similarity between the two things compared whereas than indicates inequality between them.

What helps us identify this question as a Comparative question as well as identify the mistake is the following Stop Sign:

Like, unlike, than, as

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 06:22
Can someone please explain the OA? I think the answer should be D.
Here we compare two 'class' based on their characteristics rather than their characteristics
OE posted seems unsatisfactory.
Please Help
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 13:45
aksh5900 wrote:
Here we compare two 'class' based on their characteristics rather than their characteristics
Please Help

Even don't think about it. This is Economist GMAT: folks there live in their own world. Both A and D are correct.
Director
Director
G
Schools: Cambridge'16

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 03:46
we compare clauses, so parallel elements should include clauses

A fits
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 06:30
Temurkhon wrote:

A fits

I can imagine your surprised face when GMAT will give you in OA prepositional phrase after "than" instead of full clause. Try to read more about ellipsis, and things will become much clearer.
Director
Director
G
Schools: Cambridge'16

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 06:58
Hero8888 wrote:
Temurkhon wrote:

A fits

I can imagine your surprised face when GMAT will give you in OA prepositional phrase after "than" instead of full clause. Try to read more about ellipsis, and things will become much clearer.

Thank you for introducing me to new concept.
As I see, from this view, I should use "produce is" instead of "produce" because in the first clause it was "are".

Is that right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 07:33
Temurkhon wrote:
Hero8888 wrote:
Temurkhon wrote:

A fits

Thank you for introducing me to new concept.
As I see, from this view, I should use "produce is" instead of "produce" because in the first clause it was "are".

Is that right?

Here is the discussion in which Mike from Magoosh clearly explains that verb should be repeated if there is a change in tense but if there is a change in number singular/plural, then we can omit the verb.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ellipsis-sub ... 23-20.html
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 08:45
Bunuel wrote:
jackspire wrote:
Hello Bunuel,

CORRECT - This sentence makes correct grammatical use of the Comparative and is stylistically sound by using a conjugated verb in the second part of the Comparative construction (i.e., after the word than).

This answer choice is grammatically correct, but uses awkward wording with the phrase more healthy instead of healthier. This creates redundancy.

This answer choice is illogical as well as grammatically incorrect. The word higher (or any adjective+er) cannot be complemented by as because higher indicates an inequality between the two things compared whereas as indicates a similarity between them.

Like, unlike, than, as

Although this answer choice is grammatically correct, it is stylistically flawed. A stylistic preference in Comparative questions is that there will be a conjugated verb in the second part of the Comparative construction (i.e., after the word than).

This answer choice is illogical as well as grammatically incorrect. The word as cannot be complemented by than because as indicates an equality or a similarity between the two things compared whereas than indicates inequality between them.

Like, unlike, than, as

daagh
sir
i learnt a rule the verbs is/are should not be repeated in comparison:ellipsis works
but this question says other wise
please help
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 06:13
i want to know the difference between the option a and b
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 06:39
Hero8888 wrote:
aksh5900 wrote:
Please Help

Even don't think about it. This is Economist GMAT: folks there live in their own world. Both A and D are correct.
Completely in sync with you. Style is never tasted according to Ron.

Thank you = Kudos

Thank you =Kudos
The best thing in life lies on the other side of the pain.

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 2.7
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Organic vegetables are free of chemicals and healthier than regular ag  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 06:41
StrugglingGmat2910 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jackspire wrote:
Hello Bunuel,

Like, unlike, than, as

Like, unlike, than, as

daagh
sir
i learnt a rule the verbs is/are should not be repeated in comparison:ellipsis works
but this question says other wise
please help

Is this learning coming from the e-gmat verbal course? Even I though the same, StrugglingGmat2910.
This question confused me between options A and D, but I believe ellipses is at play here and there is no point in eliminating option D
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 07:16
Nope i think as far as i remember i read from daagh sir's post

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: Organic vegetables are free of chemicals and healthier than regular ag &nbs [#permalink] 27 Aug 2018, 07:16

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Organic vegetables are free of chemicals and healthier than regular ag

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap