It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 01:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Originally a trading port, Hong-Kong, currently estimated to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Originally a trading port, Hong-Kong, currently estimated to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2013, 10:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
How in the world did no one point out that the comma wasn't underlined in the original question at the top?? I would have chosen C if that comma was underlined!

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 4

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 988 [0], given: 321

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 13:09
ryanrudin wrote:
How in the world did no one point out that the comma wasn't underlined in the original question at the top?? I would have chosen C if that comma was underlined!

Quote:
Originally a trading port, Hong-Kong, currently estimated to be fourth most densely-populated region in the world, turned into a dependent territory of Great Britain in 1842 and was transferred to China on July 1st, 1997.

(1) Originally a trading port, Hong-Kong, currently estimated to be fourth most densely-populated region in the world,
(2) Hong-Kong, currently estimated to be fourth most densely-populated region in the world, was originally a trading port that
(3) Hong-Kong, currently estimated to be fourth in the list of the most densely-populated regions in the world, was originally a trading port that
(4) Hong-Kong, currently estimated to be fourth in the list of most densely-populated regions in the world, was originally a trading port that
(5) Originally a trading port estimated to be the fourth most densely-populated region in the world, Hong-Kong

The question is probably flawed so Don't bother about the OA. The OA 'C' has incorrect meaning even though article 'the' is correctly used.
For more discussion refer http://www.beatthegmat.com/need-an-expe ... 91564.html

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Kudos [?]: 988 [0], given: 321

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 13:40
Thats not good...how in the world am I supposed to know which threads have wrong answer printed as correct answers and vice versa?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

3 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 988 [3], given: 321

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 13:44
This post received
KUDOS
ryanrudin wrote:
Thats not good...how in the world am I supposed to know which threads have wrong answer printed as correct answers and vice versa?

Well the simple and straightforward answer is : TRY to stick to official sources as far as possible esp. for Verbal.
DO NOT solve questions from debatable sources like 1000 SC/CR/RC , brutal SC, Barron's and from non gmat sources like LSAT (
If the source is unspecified and OA is debatable, seek an expert reply or ignore the question.

Hope this helps

Kudos [?]: 988 [3], given: 321

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3787 [1], given: 2445

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 13:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ryanrudin wrote:

What dentobizz said above is absolute truth. If anyone wants firm improvement, especially in verbal section, stick to dependable sources such as OG, MGMAT, Veritas, e-GMAT, Magoosh, Kaplan, etc.

Good Luck

Narenn

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3787 [1], given: 2445

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 988 [1], given: 321

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 13:57
This post received
KUDOS
dentobizz wrote:
ryanrudin wrote:

Well the simple and straightforward answer is : TRY to stick to official sources as far as possible esp. for Verbal.
DO NOT solve questions from debatable sources like 1000 SC/CR/RC , brutal SC, Barron's and from non gmat sources like LSAT (
If the source is unspecified and OA is debatable, seek an expert reply or ignore the question.

Hope this helps

Also google the question and you will find discussions on alternate forums.
As well as stick to reliable sources for practice-MGMT,Aristotle,etc
For reliable sources refer to Nareens' post above

Kudos [?]: 988 [1], given: 321

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 83

Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2014, 21:48
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

Originally a trading port, Hong-Kong, currently estimated to be fourth most densely-populated region in the world, turned into a dependent territory of Great Britain in 1842 and was transferred to China on July 1st, 1997.

This sentence is giving some information about Hong Kong. These information include:
1. Hong Kong is originally a trading port.
2. Currently it is estimated to be the fourth most densely-populated region in the world.
3. It turned into a dependent territory of Greta Britain in 1842.
4. It was transferred to China on July 1st, 1997.

On carefully reading this sentence, we notice that all information given about Honk Kong are independent. They are not related anyway except for the fact that all these information are about the same place Honk Kong. Since, choice A is incorrect for the reason already discussed in the thread, we need to find an answer choice that provides all these information.

Choice C: Hong-Kong, currently estimated to be fourth in the list of the most densely-populated regions in the world, was originally a trading port that
This is the correct answer choice and the explanation for the same has already been provided in previous discussions. This choice does not change the meaning of the sentence in any way. Except for choice E, all the answer choices convey the intended meaning.
Choice C presents all the information that we get from the original sentence. In this clause “that turned into dependent territory…”, “that” stands for “a trading port” and what is that trading port? Honk Kong is that trading port. So it’s telling the same thing in a different way. All the information remains the same. So there is no change in meaning in choice C.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Shraddha,

I do understand what you are trying to convey. However, here the decision point is between choice B C and D, where we have to chose between the following parts of sentences that are different when being compared to the rest of the sentence

'currently estimated to be fourth most densely-populated region in the world'
'currently estimated to be fourth in the list of the most densely-populated regions in the world'
'currently estimated to be fourth in the list of most densely-populated regions in the world'

Could you please explain the reason why the answer is C and not B or D.

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 83

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 21

Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2014, 10:20
Why is B wrong. Though B and C both seem correct, C can be eliminated coz it is wordy.
Why B is wrong??
Any good reason?

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2014, 21:47
IMHO:
I doubt whether this Q is selected from GMAT level Question Bank.
The OA is ALTERING the meaning (conveying that Port is turned into dependent teritory, whereas original sentence says HONG KNOG is turned to dependent teritory), which is totally against the gmat strategy.
The main theme of sentence correction in GMAT is to convey the clear meaning. When that particular cause is not fulfulled all other grammar goes to dustbin.
In common usage OA seems to be right, But in actual context I dont find right answer at all. Atleast to select the best available choice, Primary requirement of SC is not fullfilled.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 43

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 05:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 53

Schools: Insead Sept '17
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.7
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 21:46
daagh wrote:
A different stroke

The expression ‘the most’, a superlative degree is required to be identified by the definite article ‘the’. It has to be either 'the most or the fourth most' densely populated. Therefore, A, B and D can be dropped. Between C and E, E is totally off the mark in meaning as Metallicafan has pointed out; Hence C is the answer.

But isnt "that" modifying trading ports wrong ?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 53

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 97

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 22:21
options A, B and D can be dropped based on the supelative degree.,,, it required "the most" ,,,hence c and E left

C conveys the meaning properly

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 97

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 22:12
Why is A wrong?

In C, it says that a trading port that turned into a dependent.....

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3507 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 04:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
naimishvs wrote:
Why is A wrong?

In C, it says that a trading port that turned into a dependent.....

Though not gramatically incorrect, two modifiers on two sides of a noun is considerd awkward in GMAT. Do not eliminate on this basis immediately, but if you are finally left with two apparently correct choices, you may use this basis to eliminate one of them.

In Option A, the modifiers "Originally a trading port" and "currently estimated to be fourth most densely-populated region in the world" appear on two sides of the noun "Hong-Kong". A better way to use two modifiers for the same noun is to use them on the same side of the noun, joining them by a conjunction:

Originally a trading port and currently estimated to be fourth most densely-populated region in the world, Hong-Kong turned into....

Kudos [?]: 3507 [1], given: 22

Re: Originally a trading port, Hong-Kong, currently estimated to   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2017, 04:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Originally a trading port, Hong-Kong, currently estimated to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap