It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 21:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals to people d

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1322 [1], given: 362

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals to people d [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 17:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
warriorguy wrote:
why is 'due to' correct in this correct sentence?

Hm... I don't think that "due to" is correct here at all. I completely agree with sayantanc2k -- "due to the sport's unusual confluence..." must modify a noun, but that phrase clearly is trying to modify "appeals." And that's a verb. So "due to" is wrong.

Also, I couldn't find this question in any Official Guide, so I'm suspicious that this question is from a non-official source, unless I missed something when I was looking through several OG editions.

Can anybody confirm the source of this one? I saw a discussion of it on an MGMAT forum, so maybe it's theirs?

www.gmatninja.com + GMAT blog + food blog + I'm really bad at PMs

Want expert SC and CR explanations? Check out our verbal Question of the Day! All of them are available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Verbal Experts' Topics of the Week:
All Topics of the Week | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate SC Guide for Beginners | 7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

YouTube verbal webinars: "Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 139

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals to people d [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 20:10
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja wrote:
warriorguy wrote:
why is 'due to' correct in this correct sentence?

Hm... I don't think that "due to" is correct here at all. I completely agree with sayantanc2k -- "due to the sport's unusual confluence..." must modify a noun, but that phrase clearly is trying to modify "appeals." And that's a verb. So "due to" is wrong.

Also, I couldn't find this question in any Official Guide, so I'm suspicious that this question is from a non-official source, unless I missed something when I was looking through several OG editions.

Can anybody confirm the source of this one? I saw a discussion of it on an MGMAT forum, so maybe it's theirs?

Thanks for the clarification GMATNinja.

Can we please remove the "Official Guide" tag so that others are not misguided?

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 139

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1322 [0], given: 362

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 20:27
Good call, warriorguy. Tag has been removed... but if anybody has any information on the real source of this question, let me know!

Want expert SC and CR explanations? Check out our verbal Question of the Day! All of them are available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

All Topics of the Week | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate SC Guide for Beginners | 7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

YouTube verbal webinars: "Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Kudos [?]: 1322 [0], given: 362

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 221

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 02:31
Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops among people in their common quest to conquer nature.

(A) surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

(B) surfing’s appeal is its unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

(C) surfing’s appeal to people is due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and developing camaraderie

(D) surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is, by turns, gracefully and serenely violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

(E) surfing appeals to people due to their unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 221

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 20:35
Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops among people in their common quest to conquer nature.

(A) surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops correct

(B) surfing’s appeal is its unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

(C) surfing’s appeal to people is due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and developing camaraderie

(D) surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is, by turns, gracefully and serenely violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

(E) surfing appeals to people due to their unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 24

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 731

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 23:44
how to quickly recognize wrong grammar issues in such long words?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 731

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 39

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 10:17
Fijisurf wrote:
I am confused by the use of "due to" in this sentence.
I always thought that "due to" is used as "caused by". According to this rule we have to choose "C" where "surfing’s appeal to people is due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline"
In all other choices "due to" is not replacable by "caused by".
(I do understand, though, that the sentence is about "surfing", but not about "srfing's appeal")

Exactly where I got tripped.

Could someone help here if the usage of "due to" is correct?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 39

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Programming (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 12:18
Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians,

surfing appeals to people due to
the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced manoeuvring,
an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable,
and the camaraderie that often develops among people in their common quest to conquer nature.

Can anyone please explain why the correct answer does not have and in between highlighted parts?

If you like the post, please award me Kudos!! It motivates me

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 12:27
hogann wrote:

(A) surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

Hawaiian's developed surfing and not it's appeal. B & C are Out.
E - 'their' refers to who? people? That makes it weird. OUT.

Between A & D.
D - gracefully and serenely become adverbs modifying violent and formidable which changes the entire meaning. OUT.
A - Maintains parallelism through multiple lists, and contains no errors.

A is the answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 99

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 73

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Other (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 10:36
hogann wrote:

Isn't the usage of due to violated here?
Please help egmat

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 73

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 706 [1], given: 62

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 23:48
This post received
KUDOS
sarathgopinath wrote:
Isn't the usage of due to violated here?
Please help egmat

Hi sarathgopinath ,

Your question has already been answered by GMATNinja here.

Please read previous explanations before asking any questions.

Thanks.

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 706 [1], given: 62

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 172

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 04:09
GMATNinja wrote:
Good call, warriorguy. Tag has been removed... but if anybody has any information on the real source of this question, let me know!

The Tag is indicating that the source is 'Manhattan GMAT'. Is here anyone from Manhattan GMAT to confirm us? Otherwise, I personally believe that this misleading question need to be removed from the forum.

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 172

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 130

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 11:13
I'm perplexed by this one - I thought "due to" was a noun modifier, and yet here in the OA it's clearly modifying a verb ("appeals to people"). Help?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 130

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
NicoleJaneway wrote:
I'm perplexed by this one - I thought "due to" was a noun modifier, and yet here in the OA it's clearly modifying a verb ("appeals to people"). Help?

Addressed here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/originally-d ... l#p1867897

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1682 [0], given: 792

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 12:14
Mahmud6 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

The Tag is indicating that the source is 'Manhattan GMAT'. Is here anyone from Manhattan GMAT to confirm us? Otherwise, I personally believe that this misleading question need to be removed from the forum.

It is Manhattan GMAT's as mentioned at https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t1013.html

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Kudos [?]: 1682 [0], given: 792

Re: Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals to people d   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2017, 12:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 75 posts ]