Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 23 May 2017, 16:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Joined: 29 Jun 2009
Posts: 221
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 2

Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2009, 08:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

53% (02:01) correct 48% (01:26) wrong based on 78 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops among people in their common quest to conquer nature.

A. surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
B. surfing’s appeal is its unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
C. surfing’s appeal to people is due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and developing camaraderie
D. surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is, by turns, gracefully and serenely violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
E. surfing appeals to people due to their unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2009
Posts: 94
Location: India
Schools: LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 6

Re: Surfing Appeal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2009, 09:50
Misread C.

Its surely A. :)
_________________

The Legion dies, it does not surrender.


Last edited by jax91 on 15 Oct 2009, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 64
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 3

Re: Surfing Appeal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2009, 10:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
hogann wrote:
Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops among people in their common quest to conquer nature.

A. surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
B. surfing’s appeal is its unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
C. surfing’s appeal to people is due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and developing camaraderie
D. surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is, by turns, gracefully and serenely violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
E. surfing appeals to people due to their unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

A IMO.
Reasoning:
1. B and C are out because after "," we need a noun. surfing's appeal was not originally developed by ancient Hawaiians :-D ---- Left with A, D and E.
2. D is out because "a backdrop that is unpredictable" is wordy in D which is replaced by "unpredictable backdrop" in A and E ---- Left with A and E.
3. E is out because "their" is referring to people which is not correct. It has to be sport's.

So left with A. What is the OA?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Joined: 29 Jun 2009
Posts: 221
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 2

Re: Surfing Appeal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2009, 10:31
OA is A

This sentence contains three parallel elements: “the unusual confluence,” “an unpredictable backdrop,” and “the camaraderie.” Additionally, the introductory modifying phrase “originally developed by ancient Hawaiians” correctly modifies the noun “surfing.”
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: PMP
Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 305
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 37

Re: Surfing Appeal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2009, 20:24
yepper A sounded right to me too
_________________

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Surfing Appeal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2009, 05:54
is D wrong only because its wordy? (unpredictable backdrop vs backdrop that is unpredictable)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 19
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Surfing Appeal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2011, 17:34
Not sure how A can be correct. How can the sentence read, "the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering"? How can the sport possess adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering? The people performing the sport possess this.

I choose E.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 194
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 730 [0], given: 70

Re: Surfing Appeal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2011, 18:40
Chose A. B and C are wrong because of the possessive and E has a wrong subject-verb agreement (their). D doesn't keep the parallelism in the list of reasons.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Posts: 208
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 5

Re: Surfing Appeal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2011, 06:09
A it is. Are you sure this is a 700 level question? Or am i feeling lucky today :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Can't give up
Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 315
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 35

Re: Surfing Appeal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2011, 20:35
A stands out the best...surfing appeals......parallelism for the rest "graceful,..."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 280
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 13

Re: Surfing Appeal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2011, 00:10
Jamico7 wrote:
Not sure how A can be correct. How can the sentence read, "the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering"? How can the sport possess adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering? The people performing the sport possess this.

I choose E.

Answer should be A. It is not stating that the sport has adrenaline, it s saying that the sport has confluence of adrenaline etc..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10370
Followers: 996

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 07:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 100
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 9

Re: Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 11:18
I would eliminate D and E because Due to in both of them when replaced by Caused by distorts the sentence.

Does anyone think like me? Am I right in eliminating D and E like that... please help..
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3041
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 512

Kudos [?]: 2257 [2] , given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 04:12
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
HMC wrote:
I would eliminate D and E because Due to in both of them when replaced by Caused by distorts the sentence.

Does anyone think like me? Am I right in eliminating D and E like that... please help..


All the options are grammatically incorrect.
"Due" is an adjective and hence it should be used to refer to a noun.
The appeal was due to... is correct. (due is an adjective for the noun appeal)
Surfing appeals due to... is wrong. ( due is wrongly used as an adverb for the verb appeals)

For the above reason A, D and E can be eliminated.

B and C are wrong because of modifier error. Surfing's appeal was not developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing was.

Note: one small suggestion - do not replace "due to" with " caused by" to check whether the usage is alright. A more efficient and conceptually more solid way is to see whether "due to" is used as an adjective and "because of" as an adverb. A quick tip: "due to" follows verb "to be" (because "due to" is adjective) - "because of" follows other verbs ( because "because of" is adverb.)
Re: Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2016, 04:12
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
29 Experts publish their posts in the topic Parallelism Revision: Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians souvik101990 14 01 Jun 2015, 06:53
Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians thefibonacci 2 29 Jun 2014, 23:29
Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, tavish 0 07 Jul 2013, 06:39
2 Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals MisterEko 5 16 Aug 2014, 03:32
28 Experts publish their posts in the topic Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals harshsingla 19 14 Jul 2015, 19:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.