GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 16 Jul 2020, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Originally from India, when the small Asian mongoose was brought to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SC Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Originally from India, when the small Asian mongoose was brought to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2020, 02:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (02:07) correct 27% (02:05) wrong based on 132 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Originally from India, when the small Asian mongoose was brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century it proved especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because of being an opportunistic predator, preying on a variety of small mammals, reptiles, birds, insects, fruits, and plants.

A) when the small Asian mongoose was brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century it proved especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because of being

B) the small Asian mongoose having been brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century and proved especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because of being

C) the small Asian mongoose was brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century and has proved especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because it is

D) the small Asian mongoose, brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in the sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century and especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because it is

E) the small Asian mongoose, brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in the sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century and having proven especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because it is

G
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Re: Originally from India, when the small Asian mongoose was brought to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2020, 02:49
Originally from India, when the small Asian mongoose was brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century it proved especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because of being an opportunistic predator, preying on a variety of small mammals, reptiles, birds, insects, fruits, and plants.

First, I think that A is incorrect, as "Originally from India" looks like opening modifier, so I crossed A and started looking for a better option. But, to my surprise, I haven't spotted the one, so A seems winner to me... :?

Quote:
A) when the small Asian mongoose was brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century it proved especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because of being
correct

Quote:
B) the small Asian mongoose having been brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century and proved especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because of being
- "having been brought" and "proved" are modifiers, so the subject lacks verb. For this single reason, we can confidently eliminate B.

Quote:
C) the small Asian mongoose was brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century and has proved especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because it
- now subordinate clause, which started with "because" lack verb for the subject: "because it an opportunistic predator"

Quote:
D) the small Asian mongoose, brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in the sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century and especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because it is
- couple of issues here: 1) same as in B the subject "the small Asian mongoose" lacks verb; 2) || issues: "brought to" is not parallel to "especially disastrous"

Quote:
E) the small Asian mongoose, brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in the sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century and having proven especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because it is
- same issue as in B and D: no main verb for the subject.
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 570 Q41 V27
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Originally from India, when the small Asian mongoose was brought to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2020, 05:52

Meaning and structure :-
Originally from India (Adjectivial Modifier answering question which), when the small Asian mongoose was brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century it proved especially disastrous (adverbial modifier) for the islands' native species(prep phrase), likely because of being an opportunistic predator, (Being is used as an ing modifier modifying it proved disastrous) preying (Verbing Modifier modifying 'it proved disastrous' clause)on a variety of small mammals, reptiles, birds, insects, fruits, and plants.

Blue - Subject
Green - Verb
Orange - ING modifier
Grey - Prepositional phrases

Summary -
when X happened (mangoose was brought)Y happened (it proved disastrous), being predator, preying on

A) when the small Asian mongoose was brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century it proved especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because of being -> Correct; it has only one antecedent i.e. Mangoose

B) the small Asian mongoose having been brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century and proved especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because of being -> having been brought and having been proved are not verbs but modifiers and hence the first clause in this again does not have an acting verb - Eliminate

C) the small Asian mongoose was brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century and has proved especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because it -> "likely because it" subordinate needs a clause but doesn't have a verb - Eliminate

D) the small Asian mongoose, brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in the sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century and especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because it is -> first part doesn't have a verb now; brought is acting as a past participle modifying the noun hence a fragment. - Eliminate

E) the small Asian mongoose, brought to the islands of Maui, Moloka'i, and O'ahu in an attempt to manage the rats in the sugarcane fields in the late nineteenth century and having proven especially disastrous for the islands' native species, likely because it is -> Same as in D - Eliminate

Can some experts (GMATNinja, @egmat) please review my understanding; I am still in the learning phase and needs feedback so that I can improve. Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 19:09
How can the answer possibly be C?

“...likely because it an opportunistic predator, preying on a variety of small mammals, reptiles, birds, insects, fruits, and plants.

Posted from my mobile device
SC Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 23:38
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

This sentence is trying to convey a lot of information. We need to pick the answer choice that gets this information across in the clearest possible way.
Choice (A) doesn't seem too bad until we get to "likely because of being," which is bad writing.
Choice (B) has the same problem, so we can eliminate that choice right away, too.
Choice (C) improves on that issue with the phrase "likely because it is."
Choice (C) looks good, so let's keep that one in mind as we move forward. Choices (D) and (E) are not as good as (C)—what's going on with the verbs here? In choice (C), it is clear who did what and what resulted from that action.

The correct answer is Choice (C).

B
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.68

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2020, 05:19
Please some experts modify this question.
(C) omits "is" at the end.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Originally from India, when the small Asian mongoose was brought to   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2020, 05:19

Originally from India, when the small Asian mongoose was brought to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics