Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1268 [306]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [78]
Given Kudos: 130
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [23]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Originally published in 1950, Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym’s firs [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi GMATNinja mikemcgarry,

Isn't the original sentence trying to compare action?
-- XYZ doesn't read as ABC does. --> Shouldn't this be the correct choice?

By saying that "XYZ doesn't read like ABC" we are comparing the nouns XYZ and ABC. Isn't this wrong?

Regards.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Originally published in 1950, Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym’s firs [#permalink]
Dear mikemcgarry,

Thank you for the explanation, but could you give some pointers about how can we infer whether a sentence is comparing action or noun?

There can be 2 grammatically correct choices such as "X plays as Y does" and "X plays like Y". How can we pick the correct choice between the given 2. Is there any rule for this? If not, could you please point out a good source that will help me in improving my understanding of the topic.

Regards
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [9]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatexam439 wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry,

Thank you for the explanation, but could you give some pointers about how can we infer whether a sentence is comparing action or noun?

There can be 2 grammatically correct choices such as "X plays as Y does" and "X plays like Y". How can we pick the correct choice between the given 2. Is there any rule for this? If not, could you please point out a good source that will help me in improving my understanding of the topic.

Regards

Dear gmatexam439,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

You are correct that there often are two 100% grammatically correct ways to make a given comparison. You asked, "how can we infer whether a sentence is comparing action or noun?" That's a fantastic question, but your mistake is to assume that the answer to your question is a "rule." Many students, especially mathematically-talented non-native speakers, labor under the misconception that the path to GMAT SC mastery lies in some mythical complete collection of the "rules" of grammar and language. In fact, that is a complete chimera, and the rule-based approach to GMAT SC mastery is doomed to failure.

Let's talk about the brain for a moment. The cerebral cortex, the intellectual "thinking" part of the brain, has two halves, called hemispheres. The left hemisphere, or left-brain, is very logical-based and rule-based; it is linear, organized, and precise. The left-brain is very good at "differentiation," the process of telling the difference between two closely related things. Computers can easily do most right-brain rule based tasks. The left brain thinks in terms of clear, logical, step-by-step thought. The right hemisphere, or right brain, is the world's best pattern-matching machine: it matched verbal patterns, spatial patterns, emotional patterns, etc. The left-brain is very good at "integration," the process of seeing the overarching pattern that binds separate things together. The right hemisphere is involved in facial recognition, voice recognition, etc.--tasks that still are an enormous challenge for computers to master. The right brain is responsible for dreaming; it is used to appreciate poetry and for the capacity of imagination.

Many tasks use both brains. In math, the right-brain is used in something like algebra, which is very rule-based, and also differential calculus; the left-brain is used in the pattern-matching needed in integral calculus, as well as aspects of geometry and topology. In language, the clear rules of grammar, such as SVA, are covered by the right-brain, but the left-brain handles much of rhetorical construction as well as a number of subtle questions of meaning. There are no rules for meaning. Meaning and interpretation are firmly in the province of the right-brain. A mathematically talented left-brain thinking might ask for clear, step-by-step rules, but there aren't any. You have to develop the left-brain skills to get at this side of language.

For more on the hemispheric differences, in mathematical context, see:
How to do GMAT Math Faster

Now, for a left-brain dominant mathematically talented non-native speaker, how does this individual develop right-brain skills, i.e. the intuition about emotional impact and meaning in language? I have two suggestions.

One is to develop a rigorous habit of reading. When you read, you will see and understand examples in context: this kind of learning in context builds intuition slowly, especially those subtle intuitions which never could be reified as a rule. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

My other suggest is as follows. Search official question. If you find any in which you find it hard to tell whether the comparison is between nouns or verbs, then search for it on GMAT Club, add your question to the thread, and invite me to comment. It's through the discussion of individual concrete questions we can figure out what will help you understand this better.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
vineetgupta wrote:
Originally published in 1950, Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym’s first novel, but it does not read like an apprentice work.

(A) does not read like an apprentice work

(B) seems not to read as an apprentice work

(C) does not seem to read as an apprentice work would

(D) does not read like an apprentice work does

(E) reads unlike an apprentice work

Whats wrong with E??

I fell for E, but i now see why A is the correct answer.

"Read", in this context, means "appears" or, more loosely, "seems". It shouldnt be taken in its usual verb sense, but as a verb that shows the state of the subject, Some Tame Gazelle.

Secondly, two comparison idioms are at play here:

X reads like Y
X reads as Y does

"As" is typically used when you intend to compare the action itself, while "like" is used to compare the subjects. I stand to be corrected though.

So, putting it all together...

D is wrong because it actually means

"Some Tame Gazelle does not appear like an apprentice work appears"

Not only does it break the idiom rule usage, it is redundant.

A sounds better as it says

"Some Tame Gazelle does not appear like an apprentice work.

This sounds better and previse

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
generis sir VeritasKarishma Mam Kindly explain why Option E is incorrect and how to identify in such type of questions whether we are comparing actions or nouns?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [7]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vasuca10 wrote:
generis sir VeritasKarishma Mam Kindly explain why Option E is incorrect and how to identify in such type of questions whether we are comparing actions or nouns?
Unfortunately, this is a question of idiomatic usage. This could sound strange, especially if you're not familiar with "reads like" (if we can say "reads like", why can't we say "reads unlike"? :)). But the difference is that "reads like" is actually a phrase that is widely used, whereas "reads unlike" is not used at all. Option E checks our ability to recognize that this is non-standard usage. Nothing more.

As for like, this question does not use like the way we normally see like used in comparison questions (like X, Y). You'll have to remember this as a separate concept. That is, you'll have to remember that read can be used this way. Like is not all that important here. Even "the book reads well" is acceptable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, Can you please tell me why D is wrong. I am not able to understand how 'does' at the end can be incorrect.

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AkashNGU wrote:
Hi, Can you please tell me why D is wrong. I am not able to understand how 'does' at the end can be incorrect.

Thanks in advance!
Hi AkashNGU,

It's normally not a good idea on the GMAT to put a clause (subject-verb combination) after like. As far as possible, try to stick to using just a noun phrase as the object of like. This is pretty much an absolute rule for really old GMAT questions like this one. As for questions that are currently in the test pools, it's hard to say. I'd stick to the "as far as possible" approach here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [4]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
vineetgupta wrote:
Originally published in 1950, Some Tame Gazelle was Barbara Pym’s first novel, but it does not read like an apprentice work.

(A) does not read like an apprentice work

(B) seems not to read as an apprentice work

(C) does not seem to read as an apprentice work would

(D) does not read like an apprentice work does

(E) reads unlike an apprentice work

Below example from GMATNinja will clear all doubts in this question.
1. Like a moldy piece of fruit, Donald Trump has fine orange hair. → correct, since the noun “a moldy piece of fruit” is being compared with another noun, “Donald Trump”, and “like” compares two nouns

2. Like a moldy piece of fruit does, Donald Trump has fine orange hair. → wrong, since the sentence is now structured as “like (noun verb), (noun verb)”, so we’re comparing two clauses (i.e., two nouns with two verbs) – and “like” can only compare two nouns, not two clauses

3. As a moldy piece of fruit does, Donald Trump has fine orange hair. → correct, since we can use “as” to compare two clauses (two nouns with two verbs)… even if it sounds kinda goofy

Hope it helps :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:

This sentence does NOT use the verb "to read" in its ordinary sense. Instead, it uses a very sophisticated secondary meaning of the word. The idiom is
the book reads [adjective]
Here, we are not describing an action: instead, this is a "being verb," a verb that speaks to the objects state of being. "Being verbs" at least sometimes are followed by adjectives, that describe how the object is. For example, consider this sentence.

Dear mikemcgarry, GMATNinja, dear EGmat, dear AjiteshArun, dear community,

this question confuses me, while I got it correct I spend to much time and relied mainly on my ear. I have a few questions concerning you explanations and would be delighted if you or anyone else could answer them.

1. When you speak about "being verb" do you mean linking verbs? From your desciption it seems like you are speaking of linking verbs but "being verb" sound more like gerunds or verb-ing words.

2. I am confused by the usage of like. I learned that we use it to compare two nouns but "it does not read" at first seems like a clause, however you explained that "does not read" function as an adjective and therefore we are still comparing two nouns, meaning the usage of like is correct. HOWEVER aren't linking verbs/"being verbs" still verbs? For example I could say "A building is a man-made structure". In this sentence "is" is a linking verb, but it still is a complete sentence and each complete sentence needs a subject and verb, therefore "is" is a verb. For the same reason I would also say that "read" is still a verb and as a result we still have a clause in combination with like, which only can compare nouns.
My question is why do linking verbs count as adjectives when we want to use like (to compare two nouns) but count as verbs for the structure of the sentence? This seems inconsistent and illogical.

3. You advise to read a lot to become familiar with idoms and different uses of words. While I am reading a lot to improve English is there a more practical way to distinguish between linking verbs and normal verbs?

Thank you!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GMATE1 wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry, GMATNinja, dear EGmat, dear AjiteshArun, dear community,

this question confuses me, while I got it correct I spend to much time and relied mainly on my ear. I have a few questions concerning you explanations and would be delighted if you or anyone else could answer them.

1. When you speak about "being verb" do you mean linking verbs? From your desciption it seems like you are speaking of linking verbs but "being verb" sound more like gerunds or verb-ing words.

2. I am confused by the usage of like. I learned that we use it to compare two nouns but "it does not read" at first seems like a clause, however you explained that "does not read" function as an adjective and therefore we are still comparing two nouns, meaning the usage of like is correct. HOWEVER aren't linking verbs/"being verbs" still verbs? For example I could say "A building is a man-made structure". In this sentence "is" is a linking verb, but it still is a complete sentence and each complete sentence needs a subject and verb, therefore "is" is a verb. For the same reason I would also say that "read" is still a verb and as a result we still have a clause in combination with like, which only can compare nouns.
My question is why do linking verbs count as adjectives when we want to use like (to compare two nouns) but count as verbs for the structure of the sentence? This seems inconsistent and illogical.

3. You advise to read a lot to become familiar with idoms and different uses of words. While I am reading a lot to improve English is there a more practical way to distinguish between linking verbs and normal verbs?

Thank you!!!

Hi GMATE1,

It may be better if we look at reads like as one unit. That is, X reads like Y (meaning ~X is similar to Y in some way). I think what's happening here is that you are looking at reads and like and trying to apply what you know about those two words to reads like. As I mentioned in this post, this phrase may seem strange, but the only way around that problem is to remember this as a separate concept.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
I can sleep at night with the idiom 'reads like', but after looking at the responses I don't see why E is incorrect. It's shorter and more concise and conveys the same idea, no?

Or is there a subtle but important meaning difference? i.e. E suggests that the book does the act of reading? My guess is this is the case.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
CEdward wrote:
I can sleep at night with the idiom 'reads like', but after looking at the responses I don't see why E is incorrect. It's shorter and more concise and conveys the same idea, no?

Or is there a subtle but important meaning difference? i.e. E suggests that the book does the act of reading? My guess is this is the case.

I have alike doubts. This question was raised by "vasuca10" and explained by AjiteshArun, who alluded to unidiomatic usage of "reads unlike".

Plausibly, GMATNinja or MartyTargetTestPrep can provide other explanation, but these guys are almost always busy :-)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
BLTN wrote:
CEdward wrote:

I have alike doubts. This question was raised by "vasuca10" and explained by AjiteshArun, who alluded to unidiomatic usage of "reads unlike".

Plausibly, GMATNinja or MartyTargetTestPrep can provide other explanation, but these guys are almost always busy :-)

BLTN : I got this one correct:) I had confusion before about this concept.

Maybe this post help:https://gmatclub.com/forum/more-than-30-years-ago-dr-barbara-mcclintock-the-nobel-prize-winner-79611-20.html#p2751436
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [5]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos