Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [27]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 491 [3]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [3]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Given Kudos: 196
Send PM
Re: Our criminal justice system should be revised to better acco [#permalink]
Kudos
Our criminal justice system should be revised to better accord with a fair notion of individual responsibility. We should not be held responsible for events over which we exert no influence, and no one can control the forces of pure chance. Consider the following example: under our current system, if an individual carelessly discharges a pistol and injures another person, severe criminal penalties apply. However, if by some stroke of luck no one is injured, then the resulting criminal penalties are much less serious. A criminal with good fortune receive a lesser penalty.

The argument above assumes which of the following?
A) Individual responsibility is determined by the intent of the criminal.
B) A fair notion of individual responsibility does not include the result of someone's action.
C) Judges do not want to turn sentencing power over to juries.
D)Those who commit crimes are punished harshly even if they do not injure others.
E) Our prison system is currently overcrowded.

Let us break down this argument
The person x is arguing for something. He says that the criminal justice system isnt in sync with the fair notion of individual responsibility.
To support that conclusion, he draws a premise -- The punishment meant for a person's criminal act, for example shooting a person, is determined by the end result. However since the end result can be influenced by outside chance, individuals responsibility is dependent on the chance. ----> the criminal justice system isnt in sync with fair notion of responsibility.

The question is a tough one especially between choice A and B.

A)Individual responsibility is determined by the intent of the criminal. --- This is like what the person x is arguing. This is kind of what he is implying. But is this an assumption of the argument? What does this have to do with the link of premise to conclusion ..a persons crimina award is determined by the end result and therefore the system needs to be revised.
Let us use the negation technique. If we deny that responsibility is determined by intent then so if a person did not intent to shoot a person but did so accidently is not liable for punishment. This is a different path in which the author isnt going.

B) A fair notion of individual responsibility does not include the result of someone's action. If we apply the negation technique, then this reads as A fair notion includes the result of action. This results in the breakdown of the argument. Why? If the fair notion of responsibility includes the result, then author's premise to conclusion link breaks down. Hence choice B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
sanjoo wrote:
Our criminal justice system should be revised to better accord with a fair notion of individual responsibility. We should not be held responsible for events over which we exert no influence, and no one can control the forces of pure chance. Consider the following example: under our current system, if an individual carelessly discharges a pistol and injures another person, severe criminal penalties apply. However, if by some stroke of luck no one is injured, then the resulting criminal penalties are much less serious. A criminal with good fortune receive a lesser penalty.

B) A fair notion of individual responsibility does not include the result of someone's action.
D)Those who commit crimes are punished harshly even if they do not injure others.

Hey here is my reasoning:

The argument is we should adopt fair practice.
why? cuz current practice is unfair. consider the example:
shot fired, if someone is injured, then he has to be responsible
if no injury, then he has no responsibility.
THIS is UNFAIR, we can not decide he is guilty or not based on results of his action,
therefore in order to be FAIR, we have to assume fair notion is not based on someone's action
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Please help me in my understanding .....
Conclusion here is the justice system should be changed to consider individual responsibility .

Example : Person fires a gun accidently it injures a person ---> strong punishment
Person fires a gun accidently it does not injure a person ---- > lighter punishment

Assumes the individual responsibility includes the result of the person action ....

Please help i am totally confused !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Me neither.

Does it mean that "Individual responsibility is determined by the luck of the criminal"?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
I don't even understand what option A and option B mean...

From what I understood the Individual responsibility(IR) is something which doesn't depend on
1.what happened (whether the man shot a table or another man)
2. but on what the man was intending to do ( whether the man was intending to injure a person or just discharging the Gun)
I chose A.

As riskietech explained, I guess I'm okay with the first part 1 but I can't really understand why part 2 is not true
Can anyone explain?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
WHy A is incorrect
I narrowed down to A & b and then picked A as it tals about criminal intentions behind the action.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
sanjoo wrote:

I don't agree with the OA. and here is my reasoning why I believe A should be the correct answer.

We are told that -> CJS should be revised so that to better ACCORD with a fair notion of individual responsibility. SO the opinion here is that we need to get the system take into consideration individual responsibility. We then are presented a case about non-injuries, and about the fact that criminals, who do not injure anyone, receive a lesser penalty.

We then must assume that the system should penalize the intent of the crime, and not just the actions.
A exactly says this. If we negate it, then what's the reason to BETTER ACCORD the CSJ with the notion of individual responsibility? This is nonsense. A looks better to me than B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
hello experts.

could you please help us with the above question.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Our criminal justice system should be revised to better acco [#permalink]