Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 27 May 2017, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Our school district should not spend its money on the new

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 331
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

Our school district should not spend its money on the new [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2006, 01:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Our school district should not spend its money on the new Verbal Advantage reading program. After all, our students get all the reading practice they need by studying history and science.

The argument above depends on which the following assumptions?

(A) The Verbal Advantage program would not help the students learn history and science.
(B) Other reading programs are just as effective but less expensive than the Verbal Advantage program.
(C) The Verbal Advantage program involves only reading practice.
(D) Teaching students history and science is more important than teaching them reading skills.
(E) The students can already read well enough to study history and science.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2898
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2006, 01:27
Straight C.

This means there are no other benifits of the program.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 331
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2006, 01:29
ps_dahiya wrote:
Straight C.

This means there are no other benifits of the program.


Why not E ? If you negate E - students can't read well to study history and science , then argument fails.. So why E isn't an assumption here ?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2898
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2006, 01:34
sharadGmat wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
Straight C.

This means there are no other benifits of the program.


Why not E ? If you negate E - students can't read well to study history and science , then argument fails.. So why E isn't an assumption here ?


Conclusion: Our school district should not spend its money on the new Verbal Advantage reading program

If you negate the assumption then the conclusion must fail. Lets take E , The students can already read well enough to study history and science. then how we can say that program will not be benificial. Program may tell you some more things apart from regular reading and may still be benificial. But if you say that reading is the only skill that program teaches then we can say that students are already getting the practice for reading by reading science and history.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 331
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2006, 01:52
ps_dahiya wrote:
sharadGmat wrote:
ps_dahiya wrote:
Straight C.

This means there are no other benifits of the program.


Why not E ? If you negate E - students can't read well to study history and science , then argument fails.. So why E isn't an assumption here ?


Conclusion: Our school district should not spend its money on the new Verbal Advantage reading program

If you negate the assumption then the conclusion must fail. Lets take E , The students can already read well enough to study history and science. then how we can say that program will not be benificial. Program may tell you some more things apart from regular reading and may still be benificial. But if you say that reading is the only skill that program teaches then we can say that students are already getting the practice for reading by reading science and history.



Sorry, i still think E is better..

Please read through carefully..
Premise - science and history provides reading practice.
conclusion - Don't need reading program.
we need to fit an assumption here between Premise and conclusion.. This assumption is E..

I would think C would make sense when argument is based as below.
Premise: Don't need reading program.
Conclusion: science and history provides reading practice.
Here the assumption - reading program gives only reading practice- makes sense to support the conclusion.. But in given argument conclusion and premises are different.. So I think E makes sense..

Comments are welcome..
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 789
Location: BULGARIA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2006, 03:43
ALSO think that C is correct.
The author ASSUMES that the Verbal Program includes only reading and concludes that in history and science students get enough practice and do not need to take Verbal classes
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 176
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2006, 10:03
I'm with C.

The argument is about improving reading skills. And not about improving reading skills so they can understand other subjects better.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 791
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2006, 12:41
C. As explained by ps_dahiya...
_________________

Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Is the answer A, B, C, D or E?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2005
Posts: 572
Location: Munich,Germany
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2006, 19:11
C as Correctly explained by dahiya.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1730
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2006, 22:05
I tend to agree with Sharad.

The author states that the Verbal Advantage program is of no use as the students can getting the reading pratice by studying History and science.

What if the reading ability of students is not developed enough for reading history and science.

By stating that rading history and science will give all the practice the implied assumption is that students already have the ability to read history and science.

But in GMAT world.

C would be the answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 94
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2006, 06:27
C for me
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5221
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2006, 06:39
Only (C) provides the perfect bridge between the evidence and conclusion. If you still aren`t convinced, negate it.

:43
  [#permalink] 05 Jul 2006, 06:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Jan: People should not go to the new exhibition of Thornton 826goodluck 4 12 Jul 2011, 20:57
New Evergreen Gum has twice as much flavor for your money as ezinis 8 12 Nov 2009, 15:02
In spite of what its critics say, the new, expensive spriya 10 09 Sep 2008, 18:03
3 There is no point in spending millions of dollars on lexis 34 27 Jun 2008, 12:25
To improve the physical fitness of its students, School JCLEONES 6 13 Jan 2008, 08:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Our school district should not spend its money on the new

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.